The Slate Industry of North and Mid
The hospital was built in 1860 and was
largely maintained by the men's own contributions to a Sick
Club. The club provided free medical care, a weekly
payment during absence from work through sickness or injury,
a small payment on retirement and burial expenses.
It was one of the first buildings in
the area to have hot and cold running water and
electricity. General surgery continued here until the
1940's when the hospital was downgraded to a first aid
centre. It closed in 1962 and was later restored by
Gwynedd County Council, reopening as a visitor centre in
from the quarry doctor, the staff lived on the
premises. The hospital had one of the earliest x-ray
machines in North Wales. In the Post Mortem room,
which was situated in the basement, the table was made from
a polished slate slab, complete with channels and drainage
Hospital is situated a few hundred yards from the Welsh
Slate Museum overlooking Llyn Padarn and admission is free.
Contact Padarn Country Park for
details of opening times: firstname.lastname@example.org
Part of the dispensing area with
Victorian medical names much
A stretcher attached to a specially
made 2 foot gauge tramway chassis. In many
parts of the quarry the quickest access to a casualty would
have been along the tramways.
Various old style surgical implements
The examination table was made by the
joiner in the quarry workshops, as was the operating table.
The Mortuary building is a few yards
away from the main building.
interesting reading on the health and working conditions
in Dinorwic's heyday:
A few practical suggestions
about the health of the quarrymen
Some laws for the
Government of the Hospital
Details of a typical
Next page: The slate industry today
Return to: Aspects of the Industry