Llechwedd Quarry in June 1967
These photos were taken by Michael Bishop on a visit to Llechwedd Quarry on June 16th 1967.
Battery powered locomotives were popular with the quarry owners being able to work underground or on the surface. These examples were made by Wingrove and Rogers who traded as British Electric Vehicles
A narrow gauge coal wagon and wagon turntable
Llechwedd Quarry in Blaenau Ffestiniog was one of the first quarries to be electrified having built its own hydro electric power station in 1891. Its electric locomotives were actually rebuilds of steam locomotives. There were two locos, Eclipse and Coalition, and both may still be seen at the quarry today - although out of use. This is Eclipse in its shed. The two trolley poles, one positive and one negative can be seen on the cab roof.
Next page: Maenofferen Quarry in 1967
Return to Working Tramways index