Following closure of the quarry in 1969, the site has been owned by several companies, each with its own priorities and plans - none of which have included the engine. This has made the restoration and maintenance of this important artifact extremely difficult. In fact, grants have been made available towards its restoration but have subsequently been withdrawn because of the problems of access. The enginehouse is a Grade 1 listed structure which is the same as Caernarfon Castle. Despite this, and despite the valiant efforts of the engine's custodian, it continues in a state of limbo. What should be one of North Wales finest examples of industrial heritage is now a forgotten link to a golden age.
This view of the engine house and quarry was taken in the early 1950's.
Michael Bishop took this photo in the early 60's.
This commemorative stone is at the base of the structure.
One of the two Lancashire boilers which supplied the steam for the engine.
View from above of part of the two massive boilers, much of the piping is still intact although the boiler house roof has been removed.
The huge 68" diameter single cylinder.
The main beam is a steel casting and weighs over 23 tons. Half the beam is seen here - the rest is outside beyond the wooden wall. The bearings on which the beam pivots are next to the wall.
The engine pumped water from a shaft 155 yards deep, this a view of what remains of the pumping rod. It is attached to the end of the beam. As the beam rotated back and forth, it activated the pump.
Return to "Aspects of the Slate Industry"