"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

Other North East Wales bricks


Alltami Colliery



Photo by courtesy of the Buckley Society.

Alyn Brick Tile & Terracota, Coed Talon


Aston Hall Coal & Brick Company

This works was near Hawarden in Flintshire.

Photographed on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside.



Found by the River Porter in Sheffield by Frank Lawson

 Martyn Fretwell writes ; The Aston Hall Brick Co. Queensferry was started by Peter Griffiths in 1870, aged 37 & he owned the company  till 1916, aged 83. His son George took over the business, but he soon closed the company down. 


Brymbo

This is a refractory brick from the now demolished Brymbo steelworks near Wrexham.


Colomendy, Mold

This works was on the outskirts of Mold.



This brick was  used in the construction of the 'Bowling Green Hotel, Wrexham Street, Mold, the building is currently being converted to flats, and dates from around the 1870s. Photo and info by David Rowe.

Erith, Leeswood

Erith is a town in North Kent and it seems an odd choice of name for a Welsh brickworks.  However the name is descended from an earlier phase in Leeswood's history.  Before oil could reliably be pumped from the ground, it was obtained from coal and the coal in this area had a very high oil content.  For a brief period in the latter half of the 19th century, the immediate area was exploited for this rich resource and the principal company involved was the London, Erith and Leeswood Mineral Oil Company which diversified into brickmaking.  The brick business lasted a lot longer than the oil business and the works finally ceased production in the 1970's.


Ffrwd Iron Works

The Ffrwd Ironworks was one of those vast Victorian enterprises that has now disappeared almost without trace.  Hidden in a steep sided valley near Wrexham are the remains of an ironworks, several collieries, coke ovens and a brickworks.  The complex was served by competing branchlines of the Great Western Railway and Wrexham, Mold and Connahs Quay Railway.  In its early days, the works even constructed a canal to link up with a proposed extension of the Shropshire Union.  The canal was abandoned, without ever being used, by 1800 - but traces of it can still be seen.  Due to a trade depression, the whole complex had disappeared by the early days of the 20th century.


Holywell

Made in Flintshire, history unknown.


Hope Hall

Made at a small brickworks in Flintshire which served the country estate of the same name.


Leeswood

A small village near Mold, Flintshire.

Photo by courtesy of the Buckley Society.


Mold Argoed Colliery

A small colliery near Mold in Flintshire which operated from 1863 until 1886.


Mostyn

Mostyn is a small port on the Dee estuary in Flintshire.


J. Prince, Connahs Quay




Note the spelling mistake.  Photographed at Corris by Martyn Fretwell.

W M , Rhyl



Photo courtesy of Michael Lewis-Jones.

Ruby, Rhydymwyn

A small brickworks near Mold in Flintshire.  A selection of some of the Ruby Brickworks products:


Photo taken at a reclamation yard in Tarvin, Cheshire by Martyn Fretwell.



Salvaged from the demolished Bangor Railway Institute by Jim Johnson. A record of the demolition.

Ruthin



Photo by courtesy of the Buckley Society.

Sandycroft: see under Drury, Buckley

S V Shotton



Found at Connahs Quay, Deeside

J. Williams, Connahs Quay

Made in the Deeside town and former port


Flintshire & Denbighshire history page
Return to the Wales index page