"Old Bricks - history at your feet"
Coping and Edging bricks
I have started this section off to cover those bricks one finds
as coping and edging on bridges, etc.
Bayley, Great Bridge
Thos. Bayley, blue brick, tile works & quarry, Great Bridge
Spotted by Phil Shaw on a bridge over the entrance to a disused
basin at Smethwick Junction.
R. Bennett, Tamworth
E & T Bayley, Great Bridge. Found at a brick reclamation
yard in Spondon by Martyn Fretwell.
Edward & Thomas Bayley are listed in Kellyís 1872 edition at
Great Bridge, West Bromwich. The listing for this works in Kellyís
1876 to 1904 editions is Thomas Bayley, Golds Hill Brickworks,
Great Bridge, Tipton & this is followed by the entry of Thomas
Bayley Ltd. at the same address in Kellyís 1912 to 1940 editions.
The works closed in 1940. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
These were found on a bridge over the former Lancashire,
Derbyshire & East Coast Railway just east of Bolsover Tunnel.
The copings are about 18"x 6"x6". The railway opened in 1897 so
the copings must be original. Photos by Simon Patterson.
The location is the foot of one of the piers of the
Harringworth/Welland Viaduct, specifically the one to the right of
the road in this
view. As this appears to be original brickwork, it can
be dated to 1875-8. Photo and info by Alan Murray-Rust.
The Swan Lane brickworks, Nuneaton (now Croft Road) previously owned
by Walter Handley was taken over Benjamin Broadbent, a
Leicestershire builders merchant & Jacob Stanley in 1869.
Shortly after forming this partnership Benjamin due to ill health
took a back seat in the running of the company & Jacobís
brother, Reginald took his place in running the yard. The
partnership of B & S was dissolved in 1871 & the company was
re-named Stanley Brothers. Photos courtesy of Sheryl Wrighting &
this website. Full
history of the company.
Brooks & Pickup, Towneley Colliery, Burnley
Spotted on the beach at Crosby, Merseyside.
Broseley Tileries produced bricks between 1882 & 1954. Photo
by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Lawrence Skuse, The P.P on the Burgoyne coping
brick refers to "Pontypool" (from Little Mill,
Cakemore brick works &
collieries, Rowley Regis, South Staffordshire.
Spotted by Phil Shaw on a bridge over the entrance to a disused
basin at Smethwick Junction.
Charles Skelding, Brierley Hill
Charles Skelding, Nager's Field brick works, Brierley Hill,
thanks to Velda for the contribution.
H V Cowham,
The only trade directory found is for a W.B. Cowham at Cannock in
Kellyís 1868 edition, so I expect it is the same family. I recently
spotted this copping brick on a small stream bridge at Rugeley near
to Cawarden Reclamation Yard. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
H Doulton, Rowley Regis
Found by Phil on Tatbank Road, Oldbury, West Midlands.
Earl of Dudley, Tipton
Found by Frank Lawson in the towpath of the Worcester &
Birmingham Canal, Edgbaston, Birmingham.
H.B. Eberhard is listed in Kellys 1860 & 68 editions at
Waterfall Lane, Old Hill, Rowley Regis, Dudley. Info & Photo by
J C Edwards,
Photo taken in Pontesbury by Michael Shaw.
& William T Field, Tipton
William & William T. Field are listed at the Toll End Blue Brick
Works, Tipton in Kellyís 1880 edition. The entry in Kellyís 1884
edition is just for William Field. Kellyís 1868 to 1924 editions
also records William Field as owning the Littleworth
Brickworks/Tileries at Hednesford. Photo & Info by Martyn
W. Gilbert, Tipton
Phil spotted this one on a bridge over the Brades branch on the
Wolverhampton Level of the BCN.
and another found by Phil nearby.
Great Bridge, Tipton
Spotted on the Walsall Canal, thanks to Phil for the photo.
Joseph Hamblett, West Bromwich
Joseph Hamblet founded the Piercy Brickworks in West Bromwich
works in 1851 and it came to specialise in blue bricks. They
were much in demand in the latter half of the 19th century for
railway and other industrial construction.
Some more from the L.D & E.C.R just east of Bolsover Tunnel.
They are about 18"x 6"x6". The railway opened in 1897 so the
copings must be original. Photos by Simon Patterson.
This was found on a bridge where the L.D.& E.C.R. Beighton
line crossed the Midland Clowne branch line. Photo by Simon
Jeffrey Carter writes: The enclosed photo is from the lock edge
of the newly reopened Droitwich canal. While we, The Coombeswood
Canal Trust and BCNS undertook clearance testing with our pair of
heritage working narrow boats 'Atlas' and 'Malus' for BW and
Droitwich Canal Trust, June 2011.
Found by Glyn on the disused Barnstone branch line in
An 1865 example found by Darren Sladden in Great Dunmow.
John Harper & Co. are listed in Kelly's 1876/80/84
editions at the Albion Works, Willenhall, Staffs. Primarily lock
manufacturers the company also made bricks at their Albion Works
which were used to build extensions to their existing buildings.
Info & Photographed at Four Oaks Rec. Yard by Martyn Fretwell.
Brick Co. Tamworth
Owned by the Hathern Station Brick & Terra Cotta Co. near
Loughborough, the Hathern Brick Co. operated itís Cliff Brickworks
near Kingsbury, Tamworth, Staffs. between 1882 & 1961. Today
the site of this former brickworks is now the clay pit to
Wienerbergerís Kingsbury works and this modern works was built on
the site of Whateley Colliery and itís brickworks. I photographed
this copping brick on a disused Nottingham Suburban Railway bridge
in Woodthorpe Grange park, so this brick can be dated as being
made before 1889 when the railway opened. An
aerial view of the works.
Photo & Info by Martyn
Spotted in Sheaf Street, Sheffield by AKA Demik.
Spotted on a
railway bridge in Nottingham
. The bridge was built in the
1930s, which dates this particular style of stamp. The stamped
bricks are on the approach ramps rather than the bridge itself
which has had the parapet slightly raised at some point. Photo and
info by Alan Murray-Rust.
J W Ivery,
(Wood & Ivery), West Bromwich
Photo by Ray Martin. See the entry for Wood & Ivery in
the bricks section for more details of the company history.
Joseph King, Stourbridge
Made by Joseph King, Chapel terra cotta works, Netherend, Park
Lane, Cradley, West Midlands,
photo by Michael Raybould.
Richard Mason & Sons, Crown brick works, Toll End, Tipton.
Found by Alwyn Sparrow on a railway bridge abutment in Warwick.
Mobberley, Creets Green, West Bromwich
Spotted in Bridgnorth by Maurice Stokes
M S & B W
Mansfield Stone and Brick Works
Found by Simon Patterson in Creswell N.E.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell. Nostell is a village near
Wakefield, West Yorkshire. The works is still open today
as part of Ibstock Brick
Priestley of Whittington
Found on a wall at Brimington, Chesterfield by Simon
Simon adds this information: From the 1881 census
Henry Priestley age 24 brick manufacturer living Sheffield Rd.
Whittington. From the 1891 Kelly's Directory for
Whittington: Henry Priestly Grocer, Draper and Brickmaker, The
Photo taken in Copthorne Road, Shrewsbuy by Michael Shaw.
Seen at Easton Neston by Nigel Furniss.
Skey, Wilnecote, Tamworth
See Skey brick entry for info. Photographed at
Four Oaks Reclamation by Martyn Fretwell.
Started in 1895 as Stanley Brothers Ltd. covering 145 acres at
Stockingford on Nuneaton Common.
They were one of the largest manufacturers of clayware products in
the U.K., supplying over 4,000 customers in 1895. There were also
separate brickyards owned by the company, and they operated two
collieries. They were worth over £114,000 in 1895, (over £11,500
million today) !! Most of the sites have been redeveloped
for housing, the works finally closing on 31st January 1988, but
most of the commercial records have been saved. Further reading is
to be found in the book NUNEATON & BEDWORTH COAL, STONE, CLAY
& IRON by Peter Lee. Photo and info by Nigel Furniss.
Kellyís 1876 edition lists Tibbington Collieries & Brick
Works, E. Howl manager at Princes End, Tipton. Info &
photographed at the Black Country Living Museum by Martyn
No Info - Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Victoria Works, Aldridge
This one forms part of the coping to the churchyard wall at
Bleasby, Notts, photo by Alan Murray-Rust.
Photo by Ray Martin, taken at Sutton Coldfield station.
John Walker, Stourbridge.
Spotted by Phil Shaw in a wall at the side of lock No.1 on the
T. Walton, Dudley
Photo by Simon Patterson, found in Dudley.
Thomas Walton is listed in Kellyís 1868 to 1880 editions at Dudley
Port, Tipton. In 1872 Thomas was living on Park Lane, Tipton &
is recorded as taking out a seven year lease on a brickworks in
Dudley Port from the Dudley & West Bromwich Banking Co. Info
& Photographed at the Black Country Living Museum by Martyn
J. Whitehouse, Bloomfield
Spotted by Phil on a towpath bridge on the Walsall Canal
Photo by Mallosa.
G Woolliscroft & Sons
Photo taken at a reclamation yard in Tarvin, Cheshire by Martyn
G. Wood, Brades, Oldbury
Spotted by Phil Shaw on a bridge at Dudley Port Junction on
Birmingham Level BCN.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by John Maxwell.
Photo by Nigel Megson, found at Stubbs Bridge, Womersley,
Yorks. See the entry for Wood & Ivery in the bricks
section for more details of the company history.
A terra cotta cover for electric cables, made by Baldwin.
Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo.
This is a a "holed" refractory brick found at the site of
a disused ironworks at New Inn, Pontypool by Lawrence Skuse.
This is unattributable, but was found with some standard Southwood
Jones bricks, and most fire bricks at this site are Southwood
Jones, both from Risca and Pontypool. The brick is 9 x 10 x
2 1/4 inches, the holes have a 1 inch bore and go all the way
through the brick.