"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

England page 10, Letter: H


Ha: below         He to Hi        Ho to Hy


H: Hamblet

H: Lord Hastings

H Bros: Holloway Bros.

H & Co: Hooper & Co.

E H & Co.: Holt, Rossendale

H & Co: Harrison, Otley

F H: Frank Horner

G H: George Haslehurst

G & J H: George & John Haigh

H B: Hammill Brick Eastry Ltd.

H & B: Hopkinson & Bates

H F: Hugh Facey

H B Co: Hangingwater Brick co.

H B B: Heeley Bank Brick Co

H B W: Hartley Brothers, Wakefield

H G & Co, Fletton: Hicks

H H: Holly Hall

H M C: Hartley Main Colliery

H M B: Hadley's Metallic, Willenhall

H P: Henry Priestley

H & R: Holding & Riley or Hall & Rogers

H & S M C: Holmside and South Moor Collieries

H T: see entry for Hosea Tugby

H W: Haunchwood

H W H: Hudsons West Hoathly

R H: Robert Hunt


Haddenham



There are no trade directory entries for the Haddenham Brick Co. which was in Haddenham, Cambridgeshire. The works was only in production from 1896 to 1904 when the freehold of the buildings, kilns, plant & 57 acres of land was put up for sale. The chimney & kiln were demolished in 1907. One of it’s owners for 4 years was John Henry Porter who operated another brickworks in Haddenham & he listed in his own name in Kelly’s 1879 edition to the 1916 edition when the entry reads John Henry Porter (exors of). Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Hadcroft

Hadcroft Brick Works, Pedmore Road, Lye, Stourbridge,
Worcestershire. 1845-1974, by Michael Raybould.



Hadfield Birstal

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Hadley's Metallic, Willenhall



Bricks were made from a carbonaceous shale from mining waste, so no marl holes, only surface workings. In June 1967 they were making 25 bricks per minute, 50,000 per day. Bricks were fired in two 18 chamber Hoffman kilns with continuous firing, one built in 1935, the second in 1958. It was a private limited company established in 1935 and employing 55 people.  Photo and info by Ray Martin.

Hadley & Morris, Wednesbury



Hadleys started making bricks in 1876, in 1950 they were making 150,000 bricks per week. Closed about 1960. Photo and info by Ray Martin.
Haigh



Found Scarborough, N.Yorks by Frank Lawson, origin not known.

George & John Haigh



George & John Haigh, New Lodge Colliery, Ossett, W.Yorks - found in Wakefield by Frank Lawson

J & J A Haigh



Found in Morley, West Yorkshire. Possibly Haigh, J and Son, Victoria Brick Works, Bruntcliffe, Norley. Listed only in McCorquedale, Leeds, 1878. Image PRBC.

W.Hague

Photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.


T Haines, Erdington



Photo by Frank Lawson.

Haines, Tipton



A possible maker of this path edging is Richard Haines who I have found together with Thomas Hood leased mines at Moat Colliery, Ocker Hill, Tipton for it’s coal in 1845. This date is too early for this named brick, but Haines may have gone on to open a brickworks at the colliery & produce blue bricks from the clay found in the mines. Info & Photographed at Four Oaks Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the Chris Thornburn Collection.

E Hales, Washwood Heath



Edward Hales is listed in Kelly’s 1883 edition through to it’s 1905 edition at Washwood Heath Road, Saltley. Info & Photographed at Four Oaks Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

Halifax - also see entries for Oates & Green and Swan Bank

Photo by Darrell Prest

Found near Rotherham by Bob Gellatly.


John Hall & Son, Dukinfield



The Fireclay Works, Wharf Street, Dukinfield, Cheshire. Manufacturers of Red Terra-Cotta Ridge Tiles, Air Grids, Chimney Pots, etc., Sanitary Pipes, Gullies, Fire Bricks and All Fittings. Established 1792 and closed 1967.  Photo and info by David Kitching.

William Hall



Simon Patterson found this one at Beal, Northumberland. Arthur Brickman writes: I'm pretty certain this could be 'William Hall' who was based in Alnwick and operated the Alnwick Moor Tilery - the only 'W.H.' in all of Northumberland over a 50 year period from the late 1820's, located some 30 miles south of the find site via the main A1 Trunk Road. (Ref: Kelly, Northumberland 1879).

J & S Hall, Bury



Joseph & Samuel Hall - Cateaton Street & Foundry Street, Bury.  Kelly's Building Trades Directory 1886. Photo and info by Colin Driver.

J Hall, Haverhill



 John Hall is listed at Haverhill, Suffolk in Kelly’s 1869 & 75 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Hall, Shrigley



James Hall made firebricks at Bakestonedale, Pott Shrigley, possibly having taken over the works from George Lambert who is listed there in 1857. The fireclay was obtained from the many coal mines under Bakestonedale Moor. Hall appears in the trade directories for 1878 and 1883, but is absent in that for 1896 as the business had by then been absorbed by neighbouring brickmaker William Hammond.  Photo and info by David Kitching.

Hall & Rogers, Smithy Bridge



Hall & Rogers Smithy Bridge Littleborough.Located at the bottom of Smithy Bridge Road close to the Rochdale Canal and Smithy Bridge railway station.I think it was still there into the 1950's but had stopped making bricks prior to then,concentrating on sanitary pipes.There were quite a few firebrick/pipeworks in this area in the 19th century. It's a white glazed brick.  Photo and info by Colin Driver.

Hall & Rogers, Westhoughton



Hall & Rogers - Stott's Pit,Westhoughton. Photo by Colin Driver, photos of the works here.

Hall, Stourbridge

Thanks to Ian Gardener for the photo.  Tony Mugridge writes:  J. T. Hall Refractories, Stourbridge. Works moved to Corngreaves Industrial Estate, Cradeley Heath in 1967 and closed about 2008. They speciallised in making firebricks for the Stourbridge Glass Industry but their main trade was making firebricks for the fireboxes of Steam Railway Locomotives in the mid to late 19th century. Their moulds for these (some 1,000) were destroyed the week before I visited the works and was still smouldering. They said that the moulds were of no value as steam locomotives weren't used now. The MD was not too pleased when I suggested that every steam railway preservation society in the country would need those bricks!  The last owner of the Company was Mr John Edwards who was somewhat of a local celebrity as he was a highly decorated Spitfire pilot in the Battle of Britain!



Photo by Ray Martin



Photo by courtesy of Bristol and Region Archaeological Services.  Unearthed during during groundworks associated with the construction of a new food store at Barnes Hill, California, Birmingham.



 Found near Gayton on the disused S.M.J.R. line by Nigel Furniss.

Hall Green, Wednesbury



Information from a 1908 list of mines in the South Stafford area records F.W. Boone as the owner of the Hall Green Brickworks at Wednesbury operating the Moorland Colliery with 3 men below & 2 men above. Also a planning application from the 20th February 1905 for Brick Burning Kilns, Drying Shed, Machine House & Offices at The Aqueduct Brickworks, Crankhall Lane, Wednesbury by The Hall Green Brick & Ironstone Co. Applicants Residence : Stafford Street, Wednesbury.  Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection, with Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Hallam



Possibly made by G. Adamson, West Hallam, Derbys, Kelly’s 1864. Info & photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Hallatt

Photo by courtesy of the Martyn Fretwell collection.


Halmer Tileries Ltd, Halmerend



The works was located at Hayes Wood to the south-west of Halmer End. This brickyard was erected c1935 using second-hand machinery. It made only bricks and lasted until the 1970s.  Photo and info by David Kitching.



Halmer Tileries was owned by F. Woodward & E.M. Eeels, Red Hall Lane, Hayes Wood & Halmer Tileries are listed in Kelly’s 1936 & 1940 editions at Halmer End, Stoke. Info & Photographed at Apedale Heritage Centre by Martyn Fretwell.

Halsall, Bury

Found in a field near Warrington

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.


Halsall, Littleborough

Ken Perkins found this one in Longport, Stoke-on Trent.  Halsall's operated the Summit Brickworks located off Todmorden Road, Calderbrook, Near Littleborough, Lancs.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Hamblet

This company was established by Joseph Hamblet in Walsall, Staffordshire.  The company was trading as recently as 1961 as  HAMBLET'S BLUE BRICK CO. at the Atlas brickworks, Walsall.  This example is believed to have been made in West Bromwich.  Photographed by Martyn Fretwell in Dungeness, Kent.

Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell.

A blue/black Hamblet pavior (c.2" thick) which came to light during maintenance work at Claymills Pumping Station.  Photo by Alan Murray-Rust.



A red pavior 2" thick. Found at Spondon Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell



Spotted by Geoff Spink on a bridge over a disused railway in Northamptonshire.



Photo by Richard Paterson



Found in Towcester by Nigel Furniss.



Photo by William Whitehead, who writes:  The Hamblet marl hole was near to where the Hamblets lived - at the Oak House in West Bromwich. The marl hole (clay  pit) became a park when the pit was filled in. I recovered many of the blue bricks from a garden near my allotment close to the parish church (All Saints).



Photo taken by Jo Roesen at Broadway station Worcs, read their blog here.

Hamilton, Bolton & Bury








Photos by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Hammer



From Hammer Vale near Haslemere, Surrey, photo by John Morley.  Also see the entry for Grover.

Hammill Brick Eastry Ltd.

Martyn Fretwell writes: situated in Woodnesborough, Sandwich Kent, Opened 1927, found in a Kent recycling yard.



Photo by John Morley.  Jon Driver writes:  They stopped making this type of pressed brick sometime before they closed, changing to simulated handmades, unfortunately they closed about 3-4 years ago.



 Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

J B Hammill, Bridgwater



Photo by Richard Paterson.



Photo by Gareth Thomas.

Hammond - see Gardiner and Hammond


Hampton & Sons, Hanley

Enoch Hampton was making bricks at Eastwood Vale in 1851 and E Hampton & Sons are listed in 1896 as operating Eastwood and Mousecroft Fire-brick and Marl Works, Hanley. The company was still operating in 1924 but had disappeared by 1940. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Hampton Park, Hereford

A brickworks site of the Hereford Brick and Tile Company.  Richard Paterson writes:  The Hampton Park Brick & Tile Works is described in 'Herefordshire Bricks & Brickmakers' by Edwin Davey & Rebecca Roseff (Logaston Press, 2007).  It was 'a large brick and tile works 2km from Hereford city centre. There were adjacent clay pits, up to 5 drying sheds and 4 kilns which were extant in 1886'. The book contains an interesting description of the works and operations by a Mr Eckley, who worked there in 1936 and 1937, shortly before the works closed prior to the outbreak of war. From 1939 to D-Day the site was used by the US military and it is now a recreation ground and nature reserve.



Photo courtesy of Hereford Museum and Gallery, Herefordshire Museum Service.

Hamsey



The Hamsey Brick Co. is listed at Cooksbridge, Lewes, Sussex in Kellys 1930 & 38 editions. The works is shown on a 1909 map just off the A273 at Bevern Bridge & situated behind Bevernbridge Cottages in Kiln Wood. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Hamstead



Hamstead Brickworks was established in 1876 with the colliery being sunk the following year & was situated between Old Walsall Road & the Tame Valley Canal. Taken over by NCB in 1947 the colliery closed in 1965 with the brickworks being recorded as in a state of dereliction by June 1968. More info & photos at this link.   Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thorburn Collection.

Hamsteel



O H C - Owners of Hamsteel Colliery.



From the brickworks attached to Hamsteels Colliery near Esh Winning about 5 miles west of Durham.
Opened 1858, closed 1958.  Both found at the allotment site behind Durham Cathedral. Thanks to Gordon Hull for the photos and info.

Hamsterley



Hamsterley Brickworks, Hamsterley Colliery Village, Co. Durham. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Hancock & Son, Exeter



Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.

W H Hancox, Garrison Farm



William Henry Hancox is listed as brickmaker at Garrison Farm Brickworks, Garrison Street, Birmingham in Kelly’s 1878, 79 & 83 editions. Hancox went bankrupt due to poor sales and the administators ran the works until the Midland Brick Co. took over the works. The Midland Brick Co. is listed in Kelly’s 1890 edition at this yard. With this brick saying late W. Riddell, I have found that Hancox had succeeded Riddell at this works and Riddell had purchased this yard off William Mansfield in 1869. Also see bricks for Riddell & Midland Brick Co. Birmingham. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Handley, Lincoln

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Hange



Hange Blue Brick Works, Tividale, Staffs.  Found in the New Forest, Hampshire by Richard Barnes.  Martyn Fretwell writes :-  The Hange Blue Brick Works at Tividale, Tipton was owned by Septimus John (junior) Sadler & is recorded in Kelly’s 1904 edition, this is the only entry for the Hange Brick Works. Septimus junior also owned another brickworks which he operated under his own name at Portway Road, Oldbury. The Portway Road works is recorded in Kelly’s 1876 edition as first being owned by Septimus senior, then it was taken over by Septimus junior, with the listing of this works continuing until Kelly's 1924 edition. Going back to  Kelly's 1860 edition, we find that Samuel & Jason Sadler had owned the same works & another brickworks at Langley Green, Langley, before Septimus senior.

Hangingwater Brick Co. Sheffield

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Hanks Pocklington

Pocklington is a village near York.  Hanks were making bricks & tiles there in the 1880's.  Thanks to Andrew Boyce for the photo, further info on the Pocklington brick industry can be read here.



Found in a now demolished building in Pocklington.  Photo by Leslie Waby.

Hannington

Thanks to Andrew Gardner for the photo.  Axwell Park Colliery, which was situated at nearby Swalwell on Tyneside, was run at one time by a firm called Hannington so Andrew presumes that’s where this brick originated



Found in County Durham, photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

W Hanson



W Hanson, 27 Little Portland Street, Sheffield. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Hanwood

Made in Hanwood near Shrewsbury, a history of the works may be read here.


Hapton



1897-98: Hapton Brick Company Limited built a brick works near the Leeds/Liverpool Canal, south of Castle Clough. 1902: Hapton Brick Company ceased trading.  Photo and info by Brian Hartley.



Photographed at Spondon Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell
Hardaxe - see Burn Fireclay Co

Harding



William Harding was described in a trade directory of 1830 as a brickmaker and limeburner of Fisherton, near Salisbury, and from 1832 to his death in 1861 he was rated on brickyards, up to a maximum of four at one time. The RCHM date the building that the brick is in to the first quarter of the 19th century. The stamp is unusual as it on the header and so must have been embossed after moulding but before firing. William was succeeded by his son Robert Curtis Harding who continued making bricks until probably 1907. They dominated brickmaking in the two villages of Fisherton and Bemerton employing over half the brickmakers recorded by the census between 1841 and 1901. Photo and info by Jamie Wright.

See Fisherton and Bemerton Brickyards by Jamie Wright, to be published by South Wiltshire Industrial Archaeology Society.

Hardwick

Made in Holmewood, Derbyshire.  It is probable that these were made at the colliery, see next entry.

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo


Hardwick Colliery, Chesterfield

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


T Hardy, Nuneaton



Thomas Hardy owned two brickyards near Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton from 1828 & Stockingford (blue bricks) from 1850. Thomas is listed in these trade directories - Lascelles 1850 & Kellys 1868 at Stockingford, Kellys 1872 at Coton Road, Chilvers Coton & Kellys 1876 at Stockingford. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Hardy & sons, Hundleby



Hardy & Sons, Hundleby, is first recorded in a trade directory for 1885. The company is then recorded in the 1892 directory as Hundleby Brick Co. (brick & tile makers), the manager being William Joseph Hardy. Continuing under the same name in 1900, the manager is now Frederic William Gresswell.  Photo by Martyn Fretwell taken at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life, Lincoln, who also supplied the information.



Photo by Mark Cranston.

J Harper & Co.



John Harper & Co., Albion Works, Willenhall, Staffs.   Kelly's Staffordshire Directory 1876 - 1884.
John Harper & Co were founded in 1790 and started life as lock makers in a small factory on Walsall Road in Willenhall. The company expanded rapidly in the 19th century and became iron founders and producers of a wide range of metal products including ironmongery, cycles & oil stoves. They also produced bricks mainly for use in their own factory.  Link to company history. Photo courtesy of the Chris Thorburn collection.


Harper & Moores, Stourbridge





Both found at an old brickworks site in Stoke Bruerne near Towcester, Northants by Nigel Furniss.  Harper & Moores,  Lower Delph Brickworks and Colliery, appear in the 1860 directory as Coal Masters, manufacturers of firebricks of all description, fire clay retorts and other refractory products. They were in business until 1927.



Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.  Martyn Fretwell adds :- The closing date of 1927 refers to the Lower Delph Works & the Company is recorded in Kelly’s at another works at Netherend, Cradley from 1896 until the last available edition in 1940. In the 1900 edition Joseph Moore is recorded as Managing Director, followed by Howard J. Moore as M.D. in 1908. From 1921 to 1940 editions only the company's name & address are listed. I have a reference from an article by John Cooksey, who owned this brick, that may relate to Harper & Moores being still in operation until the 1970’s in Cradley.



A refractory brick found at Stanton by Bridge by Frank Lawson



Photo by Mark Cranston.

HARPER & MOORES FIREBRICK CO. LTD., STOURBRIDGE. T.A., "Moores, Lye". T.N., Lye 23 and 3. Established 1834.
High alumina refractories; regenerator packings; fire clay refractories; ground fireclays.
Trade Names: Alite; Lermer; Plumb.


Harpur





John Harpur is listed as brickmaker in Kelly’s 1864 edition at Curzon Street, Derby. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.


Harriman Blaydon

Photos taken in Beamish Museum

W. Harriman & Co Ld - Blaydon & Eltringham glazed brick, Blaydon, Gateshead. Front & rear Frogs.  Photo by Darren Haywood.


Harrington



Harrington is on the coast near Whitehaven, Cumbria.  Photo by Mark Cranston.

T Harrington, Patent, Dripsill Works



Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

Harris, Ramsey, Cambridge



G. Harris is listed in Kelly’s 1854 edition at Ramsey Heights, Ramsey, Cambridge.  Info and photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Harris & Pearson

Later known as E J & J Pearson (separate entry)

Found in Minera near Wrexham.  The history of the company can be read here.

Spotted by Baskitcaise while yomping near Nantlle, Gwynedd.

Harriss, Stourbridge, probably a forerunner of Harris & Pearson.  Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.



Photo taken at Ewenny by Richard Paterson.





Recovered by Glamorgan - Gwent Archaeological Trust from the Cyfarthfa Ironworks Coke Yard site at Merthyr Tydfil - apparently Stourbridge bricks were favoured by the ironmasters because of their excellent heat-resistant qualities and because they could be purchased in special 'sets' for constructing curved structures such as ovens and culverts - that may explain the protuberances on the back of the Harris & Pearson Brick.  Photo and info by Richard Paterson.



Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.



Lumen, Found in Cardiff 2016 by Frank Lawson.

HARRIS & PEARSON LTD., STOURBRIDGE. T.A., "Fireclay, Stourbridge". T.N., Brierley Hill 7281/2. Established 1852.
Refractories, including high alumina qualities; insulating refractories; plastic refractory cements.
Trade Names: Harris & Pearson, Stourbridge; Lumen.

Harrison



Found near Horncastle, Lincs by David Rogers.

Harrison & Co.



H & Co. Found close to the brickworks site, it is quite likely that this brick was made by Harrison & Co., Stubbings, Otley, West Yorkshire, listed 1867 and 1871. See also J & B Harrison below. Image PRBCO.

J & B Harrison



Listed in trade directories as Joseph & Benjamin Harrison, Leeds Road, Otley, West Yorkshire. Kelly West Riding 1877. Twin brothers and sons of Benny Harrison (see H & CO,) they abandoned farming to make bricks and purchased land at Leeds Road, Otley, erecting several large kilns and using shale rather than clay in their manufacturing. Alas, despite much optimism, bankruptcy occurred within a few years. Information from Lost Industries of Otley (Charles Walker) in the Wharfedale & Airedale Observer, 30:05:1930 - extract, Otley Museum. Image PRBCO.

Harrison, Stourbridge





Photos by Mike Shaw who found them at Cothercott barytes mine, Shropshire.



A sample firebrick.  George King Harrison is listed at Brettell Lane, Stourbridge in Kelly’s 1888 & 92 editions, then a second works at Nagersfield is added in Kelly’s 1896 to 1924 editions. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Black Country Living Museum.  Link to the history of the company.





Photos by Martyn Fretwell.

Harrogate double pressed

At least four locations of brickworks can be gleaned from the trade directories in Harrogate. The Harrogate Red Brick Company is possibly the maker of this brick. Harrogate, North Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.


Harrold, Diseworth



Henry Ebenezer Harrold is listed in Kelly’s 1876 edition as residing at Bedford Square & works in Diseworth, Loughborough. Info & photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Mike Shaw.

Harrotex

Found by John Pease at Ripley Castle near Harrogate so presumably a local company.


Hartlebury

Simon Patterson photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum


Hartley

Found by Simon Patterson in North Notts.


Hartley's, Castleford


 

Photo by Simon Patterson.

Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photos.


Hartley Brothers, Wakefield

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, taken in York.  Phillip Rothery writes:  Trade directories would suggest Hartley Brothers, Outwood, Wakefield listed from 1893 to 1901.



Photo by Tommy Shan

Hartley Main Colliery

Hartley Main Colliery Company, New Hartley, Blyth, Northumberland, photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Harton

 


Hartshay

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.


Hartshill





Martyn Fretwell writes; I have Found two separate entries for the Hartshill Brick & Tile Co. which was just off Shelton New Road, Hartshill. The first listing in Kelly’s 1880 to 1916 editions is Hartshill B&T. Co. J & T. Birks, proprietors, Hartshill, Stoke & the second is Hartshill Brick & Tile Co. Stoke Old Road, Stoke in Kelly’s 1932 to 1940 editions. This works is still shown on a map dated 1947. Info & Photographed at Apedale Heritage Centre by Martyn Fretwell.

Link to Ken Perkins page on Potteries website showing advert of hand same as on the brick. It denoted hand made.

Harworth





Harworth Brick & Tile Works, Harworth, Notts.The initials V G are those of Viscount Galway of Serlby Hall who was the primary owner of land in Harworth & district. The brickworks was I suspect his estate brickworks and predates the colliery which was established around 1920.  Photo courtesy of Caphouse Mining Museum, Overton, Wakefield, info by Frank Lawson.

George Haslehurst



Found in Sheffield. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection

Hasler, Dunmow



Spotted in Great Dunmow museum, photo by Daz


Haslingden Plastic

Photo by Bryan Yorke.  Read the history of the works on Bryan's blog


Lord Hastings



 Lord Hastings owned Melton Constable Hall in Norfolk & his estate brickworks is shown on maps dated 1885 through to 1950. Situated next to the B1110 just south of Swanton Novers the brickworks was about a mile from the Hall. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Hathern station, Loughborough

A history of the company may be read here, thanks to Frank Lawson for the photo.  Nigel Furniss writes: I have found an identical example from the recently excavated Castle Station car park site at Northampton.  Originally the L.N.W.R. ran into this station from February 1859,  then it was rebuilt 1880-1881, which lasted until 1965, when the station was remodelled

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found near Thurgarton.


Hattan, Castleford

Chas Hattan was one of several brickmakers in the Castleford area. Listed in trade directories at Glasshoughton 1908/ 1912/ 1917 and at Middle Oxford Street 1927 / 1938.  Castleford, West Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, taken in Normanton.


Haunchwood

Photo taken by Richard Paterson in Porthcawl.  Richard adds: According to the website of Whittleford Park, near Nuneaton in Warwickshire, where the works once stood, the Haunchwood Brick and Tile Works was formed by Mr. James Knox and others in 1870.  It is said that 'The business produced a wide variety of ceramic products as well as blue bricks which were renowned for their quality and widely used both throughout Britain and abroad. The clay used for making the bricks was extracted from the Clay Pool area from around 1894, creating a deep pit which later flooded'. Brick and tile manufacture ended in 1970 and the chimneys, kilns and other buildings were demolished the following year.

H. W. is Haunchwood Works. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found near Thurgarton.



Found by Nigel Furniss near an old railway bridge near Blisworth, the line was built in 1890.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.



This brick is in a brick paved small path in RICCALL, North Yks.  photo by Ian Prest.

Link to brickworks history on this page

Hawkes

Henry Hawkes was the landowner and took over the works in 1891 and it was known as Henry Hawkes brickworks until its closure in 1957, although it actually lost that title in the 30s. This particular brick came from a fellmongers works where the newest buildings dated from about 1930.  Today the pit is filled and leveled and houses built on the kiln area.


Hawkins Colliery

Hawkins Colliery was also known as Cannock Old Coppice Colliery and commenced working c1840. Joseph Hawkins took on the lease in 1869 and the colliery remained under the control of the Hawkins family until
nationalisation in 1947. The company also opearted a brick and tile works with adjacent clay pit at Longhouse, adjacent to the Wyrley and Essington Canal. By the 1920s Henry Hawkins was advertising a wide range of products from the Longhouse Brick & Tile Works, Cannock. About 7 million bricks were made annually using clay mixed with mining spoil. The works continued in Hawkins' ownership after the colliery was nationalised and remains in production today under the Eternit name.  Info by David Kitching.



Found in Derby by Frank Lawson.

W Hawkyard, Elland



W Hawkyard & Sons Ltd., Victoria Fireclay Works, Elland, West Yorks.  Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Haworth



Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Hay Mills Works, Yardley



 History of the several brickworks which operated in Hay Mills can be read at this link  with Henry Powley appearing to be the front runner in making this brick at his Yardley Brickworks on Coventry Road, Hay Mills, Yardley, as listed in Kellys 1883 & 1890 editions. Kellys 1879 edition records Powley as previously owning the Speedwell Works on Speedwell Road in Hay Mills. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.

Next page: English bricks, page 10a, He to Hi
Return to the England index page