"Old Bricks - history at your feet"
English bricks - Letter: H
He to Hi: below
Ho to Hy: next page
Found at Brancaster, Norfolk. Heacham brick pit closed in
1914. photo and info by Chris Dixon.
Found during refurbishment of the Catholic church, Hunstanton by
Healdfield is a district of Castleford, West Yorkshire.
Found near York by Don Boldison.
Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.
Research has led me to believe that this works was owned by Joseph
Hill & he is listed in Kelly’s 1876 & 80 editions at Alma
Street (brickworks), Heath Town, Wolverhampton. In the 1892 edition
the listing is for H. Hill, 59, Heath Street, Heath Town, possibly
his son. See entry for Hill, Wolverhampton. Photo by Colin
Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn
Heath House brickworks was at the edge of Cheddleton, North
Staffordshire, and appears in the 1896 trade directory, but not
that for 1904. The poor quality of the brick and the bits of stone
in the structure are typical of the products of such small local
brickworks where the clay had very little treatment before being
taken to the moulding machine. T Clarkson also ran Heath
House Farm. Photo and information by David Kitching.
Robert Heath and Sons Ltd had extensive coal and iron interests in
the Biddulph and Kidsgrove areas and operated brickworks in the
Grange area of Cobridge and at Nettle Bank in Smallthorne around
1900. Photo and information by David Kitching
Photo by Alan Murray-Rust
Heather Colliery, Heather Brick Co. Ltd. Photo by Peter
Harris. Heather is a village west of Ibstock in North West
G. Heaton, Shipley
This rare Bradford brick was made at Heaton Colliery &
Brickworks, which was at the Shipley end of the amenity woodland
known today as 'Heaton Woods'. Much of this woodland lies in the
north Bradford township of Heaton but, co-incidentally, the brick
manufacturer's name was George Heaton although he was a
Lancastrian. The site of his brick works was called Taffy Mires
and a chimney marked the spot until about 20 years ago. The works
was in operation from 1855, or a little earlier, until George
Heaton's death in 1874. Despite its reddish appearance the brick
is largely made of fireclay which was extracted on site.
Photo and information by Derek Barker.
Throughout its history, Heddon has thrived on a number of
industries including coal mining, the quarrying of sandstone and
limestone, brick making, and agriculture. Coal mining in
particular has had a long connection with Heddon, stretching some
400 years. In 1784 a Heddon Colliery was the first in the trade to
use mechanical means of 'screening' or separating the coal
according to its size. The last deep mine to be worked in Heddon
was the Margaret Pit. In addition to supplying coal to the
village, it also provided coal and clay to the nearby Heddon brick
works. Many thanks to George Simpson.
Photo by Richard Symonds.
The Hedingham Brick Co. was owned by Mark Gentry &
consisted of two works, the Langthorne Works on Wethersfield Road,
Sible Hedingham is first listed in Kellys 1886 edition & the
Highfield Works, Purls Hill, Sible Hedingham was opened at a later
date. The Hedingham Brick Co. was briefly owned by Eli Cornish as
listed in Kellys 1902 edition & the H.B. Co. brick was made by
Eli during his time at the works. Kellys 1906 edition now lists Mark
Gentry as owing the company again & he continues to be listed at
Sible Hedingham until 1917. Mark Gentry’s Highfield Works, Purls
Hill is next listed in Kellys 1922 edition as being owned by the
Sible Hedingham Red Brick Co. & Eli Cornish is recorded as being
a director of this company. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell with
some info from a BBS article by Adrian Corder-Birch.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found in
Photo by AKA Demik.
Henry Hemming is listed at Speedwell Road, Hay Mills, Yardley
in Kelly’s 1900 & 05 editions. Info & Photographed at Four
Oaks Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Darrell Prest
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. Hemsworth
is near South Kirby, West Yorkshire. The brick works was fired in
1903 by Samuel Oakland. He had a Hoffmann kiln with 14 chambers
firing clay shale bricks. Initially the company was known as
Oakland Bros., then Hemsworth Brickworks Ltd. Thanks to
Derek Barker for the information.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection
Found in Harrogate by David Gamble.
Found in N E Derbyshire by Simon Patterson. made by Henry
Priestley, Whittington, Chesterfield. Listed in Kelly 1895,
1904 and 1912. Info PRBCO.
Quite a modern brick made by Hepworths in Escrick near Selby.
Photo by Carla van Beveren.
Front and back of a Hepworth Iron Co brick, found near Penistone
by Frank Lawson.
G S & H W Tinker, Hazlehead, Sheffield. Photo by Steve
Horn who writes: Tinkers
owned several coal mines in the Holmfirth / Penistone area
and were involved with coke ovens and brick works at
Hepworth Iron, Hazlehead. Iron was originally
smelted on site in the mid 19th century, hence "Hepworth
Iron Co" which only disappeared as a company name quite
recently after some years of being unused.
see Holmer, Hereford
I have found two works using
the Hermitage Brickworks name. My preferred option is Lane
Brothers of Hermitage Lane, Mansfield, as the colour, texture
& lettering on this brick is similar to their bricks. The
second works is Pinewood Estate Brick & Tile Co. at Chapel
Lane, Hermitage, Little Hungerford, West Berkshire, who are
recorded as predominantly producing hand made bricks, although
they are recorded as latterly producing machine made bricks.
Examples from both these two companies can be seen on their
appropriate pages. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy
of the John Baylis Collection.
The Hermitage Brick & Tile Works, Newbury was
owned by the Pinewood Brick & Tile Co. & more can be read
about this works in the Pinewood entry. Photo & Info by Martyn
Hesketh & Wild, Atherton
An uncommon Atherton brick found at nearby Leigh, image PRBCO
Hetton, also known as Hetton Lyons, colliery was in Hetton le
Hole, County Durham.
William Hewitt, Bradwell Hall Brick & Tile Works, Chesterton.
Hewitt appears in the trade directories between 1904 and 1912 at
Bradwell Hall where he advertises as manufacturing bricks and
tiles along with ornamental roofing, ridge and garden tiles. Photo
and information by David Kitching.
Hewitt, Fenton Low
Joseph Hewitt & Son, Fenton Low, Stoke-on-Trent is listed in
Kelly Staffordshire 1932
and also in Kelly Staffordshire 1940 at Victoria Road. Image
Joseph Hewitt & Co, Fenton Low Brick and Marl Works, first
appears in the trade directories in 1872 and was working until after
1940. This brick marked 'J Hewitt and Son' probably dates from
before 1872. Photo and information by David Kitching.
William R. Hewitt is listed at Station Road, Stowmarket in Kellys
1900 edition & was brickmaking between 1895 & 1902.
Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Hexter, Humpherson & Co, Newton Abbot
This brick was found during the restoration of the Stover Canal
in Devon. Richard Harris has added: Hexter, Humpherson &
Co Ltd were formed in 1889 by two former employees of Candy &
Co. Its main operation was a brick, pipe and tile making factory
at Kingsteignton near Newton Abbot. The company did branch out
into the manufacture of pottery in the early twentieth century
when it took over the Watcombe and the Royal Aller Vale Potteries
and merged them into the Royal Watcombe Pottery. It was this
pottery which closed in 1962. Hexter, Humpherson & Co were
taken over by the clay quarrying company Watts, Blake, Bearne
& Co Ltd in 1964 and formed into a new company, Western Pipes
Ltd. However, the Kingsteignton brick and pipe making operation
was closed down in 1968.
Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.
Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.Henry Heys was a
quarry owner who came to Stacksteads from Helmshore about 1848. By
the late nineteenth century he had quarries at Brandwood, Facit, and
Hambeldon. His sons took over the business on Henry's death and as
Henry Heys & Sons took over the brickworks at Rakehead from the
County Brick & Tile Co. On the death of the eldest son in
1902 the firm was constituted as a limited company, Henry Heys
and Co Ltd. The brickworks did not operate for long and in 1917 when
the chimney was demolished, had already been disused for some time.
Henry Heys & Co continued in the quarrying business, having
moved to Britannia in 1919. Info by David Kitching.
Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.
see N C B Hic Bibi
View the page on Hickleton brickworks here
and N.C.B. entry here
In 1896 Hickman & Co had a mine on the Delph, at Brierley
Hill, and were producing fireclay and manufacturing coal. There
were 9 underground workers and 4 surface workers at this
time. Found near Blisworth by Nigel Furniss, who also
supplied the information.
Found around the Hayling Island / Langstone Harbour shoreline in
Hampshire by Tony Russell.
Fletton (includes Hicks & Gardener)
Henry Hicks, Fletton, Peterborough. The company became Hicks and
Gardener Co. in 1891, and Hicks & Co. Ltd. in 1911. In 1927
the company went public as Hicks & Co. Ltd and was soon
controlled by the London Brick Co. All found in West
Norfolk. Photos and info by Christopher Dixon.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell, courtesy of the Bill Richardson
Brick Co. (near Wigan)
This brick is a mis-spelling of Hindley Brick Co. The 1881 Trade
Directory listing for this works is Hindley Brick, Slate &
Lime Co., (brickmakers), Wigan Road, Hindley with John Eatock as
Managing Partner. The 1888 OS map shows this works as a Brick
Field just off Wigan Road in Hindley village. Photo & Info by
William Higgins & Son, Exchange Brickworks, Broughton Street,
Cheetham Hill, Manchester. Photo and info by Colin Driver.
Higher Antley Brickworks Accrington 1876-c1915. The works
was situated on Willows Lane south of Accrington centre. Opened in
1876 it had various owners before closing around 1915. Several
bungalows were built on the site. Found in Church near
Accrington. Photo and info by Colin Driver.
Found in Goldthorpe, South Yorks and is associated with Highgate
Colliery in Goldthorpe. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson
High Brooms - also see entry for Tunwells
Photo by Richard Symonds. The High Brooms Brick and Tile
Company was founded in 1885 by John Smith Weare. He died in
1890,aged sixty-two. His son, Frank Weare took over running the
firm, and he lived at “The Dell” in Ferndale, and walked to work
daily. With the brickworks doing well, Frank persuaded his son,
Frank Gerald Craven Weare to take up a directorship in the
company, and he took over in 1941 following his father’s death. A
slump in the building trade in the 1960s lead to the closure of
the brickworks, but there is both a road and recreation ground in
High Brooms named after the Weare Family. More
info on High Brooms.
High Lane Plastic
In 1896 John Booth Davis was making bricks at High Lane, Burslem
and from 1904 to 1912 John Leigh & Son are shown here.
Photo and information by David Kitching.
Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.
T & J Higson
Variously of Brownlow Fold, Daubhill, Great Lever and Halliwell,
all near Bolton Lancashire.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Higson, Halliwell. Found by Simon Newby on the moors above
Bolton, it was near part of the water tank of Lord Leverhulme's
Photos by courtesy of Colin Driver.
Joseph Hill, brickmaker in Heath Town, Wolverhampton, is listed in
Kelly’s 1876 & 80 editions. Then in the 1892 edition the listing
is for H. Hill, 59, Heath Street, Heath Town, which could be his
son. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection
& Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Charles Gray Hill is listed in Kellys 1892 & 1900 editions at
Foleshill Road, Foleshill, Coventry. Info & Photo by Martyn
Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick
After ceasing brick production, George Hill continued in business in
Ledbury as an ironmonger. Photographed at Butcher Row House
Museum in Ledbury by Richard Paterson.
Hill, Misterton, Notts.
Both bricks were found very close to the Hill Brothers Brickworks
in Misterton, Notts. by Frank Lawson
Front and back of a Hill's brick found near Gainsborough by Frank
Thomas Hill senior is listed as brickmaker in Kelly’s 1876 edition
at Misterton. The 1881 edition then records his two sons, Jason
& Thomas jnr Hill as owners of this works. Kelly's 1885 to
1941 editions then records the owners as Hill Brothers, Misterton.
I have found that brothers Tom & Bob Hill owned this works in
the 1930’s/40’s & it may have closed around 1946. The Hill
Brothers also operated a second works at nearby Gringley on the
Hill & this works is listed in Kelly’s 1908 to 1916 editions.
As well as producing red bricks & floor tiles, the several
different brickworks in & around Misterton are also well known
for producing distinct white bricks same as this Hill brick. Info
& Photographed at Bassetlaw Museum, Retford by Martyn
F A Hill,
Fred A. Hill owned the Ferny Hill Brick Works, Redditch.
Photos reproduced with the permission of Redditch Local History
Society. Martyn Fretwell writes :- The Ferny Hill Brick Works is
recorded in the 1936 & 1940 editions of Kelly’s Trade
Directory on Bromsgrove Road in Redditch. History and photos of
Hillmorton is near Rugby. Two Brickwork's are on the 1897 OS map
in Hillmorton, but not on the 1905 map. Photo and info by
Photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection. Made
at the Walkley Lane Brick Works which was owned by Henry
Ripley. These were operational from 1900 to 1904, thanks to
A.K.A.Demik. Also see the entry under Ripley, Hillsbro.
In Kelly’s 1868 & 72 editions the Himley Fire Brick Co.
Kingswinford, Dudley is listed with John Bird as Manager. Then there
is a gap to the 1900 edition when the name reappears as The
Himley Fire & Red Brick Co. Kingswinford ( Red, Blue &
Brindled bricks) This entry continues until last available edition
in 1940. The next recording for Himley is that it was purchased by
Ibstock in 1963 & it looks like they are still producing bricks
there today. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey
Collection, with Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Found by David Ashford at Barnby Dun near Doncaster
Photo by Alwyn Sparrow
Hind & Son
Thomas Hind & Son are listed in Kelly’s 1885 edition at
Strawberry Terrace, Pottery Lane, Retford. The 1891 & 95
editions just list Thomas at Strawberry Terrace. I have found from
old maps that Strawberry Terrace was his home address on Pottery
Lane & his works was nearby at the end of Pottery Lane. Info
& Photographed at Bassetlaw Museum, Retford by Martyn
Robert Hinde, brick
and tile maker, Maryport, Cumbria. Found at
Nr Kirkbean, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland. Photo and info by
Photo by Simon Newby
Photo by Alan Davies.
I have found three brickworks marked on the 1888 OS map in
Hindley Green near Wigan. Two where either side of the L & N. W.
Railway line, next to the railway station & one was next to Swan
Colliery & this brickworks & colliery was owned by E.
Johnson (see E. Johnson entry). All three brickworks had gone by the
1906 OS map. Info by Martyn Fretwell. Also see entry for
W E Hipkiss,
William E. Hipkiss is listed in Kelly’s 1884 & 1888
editions as brickmaker in Cradley, Brierley Hill. He is followed by
his son Frank, who is recorded as Iron & brick manufacturer at
Lodge Forge, Cradley in Kelly’s 1892 & 1896 editions. William
Hipkiss is then listed as brickmaker at Lodge Forge in Kelly’s 1904
to 1912 editions. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey
Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
The glazed brick manufacturers was established by Henry Victor
Allen when he took over the Halifax Glazed Brick Works in the
Walterclough valley. He converted the works to manufacture
refractory bricks. Their Selfrac refractory bricks were world
famous. The bricks were carried by narrow-gauge railway up the
valley to the sidings at Hipperholme station. Thanks to
Darren Haywood for the contribution.
Next page: English bricks, page 10b,
Ho to Hy