"Old Bricks - history at your feet"
England - page 14, Letter L.
La to Le below
Li to Lu
H L: see H. Lustig
L & A: see Leverstock & Acorn
L B C: see London Brick Company
L B Co Ld: see Leeds Brickmaking Co.
L B B: see Lingfield
L E: see Luke Evans
L & E: see Lockwood & Elliott
L F Co: see Leeds Fireclay
L & G: see Laycock & Grace
L L C C: see Low Laithes
L N W R: see London & North
L P B: see Leeds Patent Brick
L P B & Tile: see Leicester
Patent Brick & Tile
L & P: see Love & Partner
L T B Co: see Lapal Tunnel Brick
L. P. Ardwick
Photo by David Kitching.
Photo by Ray Martin
H Lakin, Stapenhill
Henry Lakin is recorded as brickmaker in Kelly’s 1857 Trade
Directory at Stapenhill near Burton on Trent. Info & Photo by
Lambert, Pott Shrigley, Macclesfield
In c1820 George Lambert and Abraham Bury started a small
brickworks near Brink Farm with one kiln to fire the bricks. When
they needed to expand they moved to the site in Bakestonedale.By
1848 George Lambert was operating a coal and fireclay mine with
associated Pott Brickworks on the south side of the road at
Bakestonedale, Pott Shrigley. Lambert was still working the Pott
Shrigley coal mine in 1884 but had relinquished the firebrick
works to James Hall before 1878. By 1896 all had been absorbed
into the business of William Hammond on the north side of the
road. Photos and information by David Kitching.
All probably made by the Lambton &
Hetton Collieries Ltd in County Durham.
Possibly made at Lambton D pit, Fencehouses, Houghton le Spring,
which operated between1894 and 1960. Info P J Davison, brick
& Tile Works, north east England (c19700, image PRBCO.
Lancashire Brick Co.
Lancashire Brick & Tile Co. Baxenden, Accrington, in operation
1893 - 1904. Photo and info by Colin Driver.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found at Barlow
near Chesterfield. From the works of S. M. Lancaster,
Brimington, Chesterfield (Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire 1899).
Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
A small town in County Durham.
Lane Bros. Mansfield.
The Hermitage Brickworks was owned by brothers, Richard and
Sampson Clay Lane. The Works occupied land on the right hand side
of Hermitage Lane, from it's junction with Sutton Road down to the
railway line and was in operation in the early 1900's. Photo &
Info by Martyn Fretwell
Thanks to Darren Haywood for the contribution.
Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.
Lane End Works: see Fenton entry
Photo by courtesy of Bristol and Region Archaeological
Services. Unearthed during during groundworks associated with
the construction of a new food store at Barnes Hill, California,
Birmingham. Martyn Fretwell writes; The Lapel Tunnel Brick Co.
California, Birmingham was started in 1876/7 and in 1882 when it
became a limited company, the principal shareholder was John Garlick
who owned another brickworks at Upper Saltley. With John going
bankrupt two years later in 1884, both his brickworks were
Lathom is near Ormskirk in West Lancashire and was a major
brickmaking centre until recently. The middle example was
made in 1958 and came from Brymbo Steelworks near Wrexham during
demolition. R. P. B is Ralph Platt Barker, the brickworks
was on the site of the former Blaguegate Colliery.
Rhys writes: I worked for Lathom Brick Company in the
1960's and i noticed you had a pressed Engineering brick that has
the initials of R. P. B. on it. They stood for Ronald Peter Barker
who owned Lathom Brick Company. They stopped making pressed bricks
in the mid 1960's and went to making wirecut bricks until it
closed in 1975.
Coronation 1953. Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver
Alexander Lauder and his Brother in law, W.O. Smith, set up a
business at Pottington Barnstaple making pottery, bricks, and
tiles in 1877 and changed the name in 1890, it closed in about
1914. Photo and info by Brian Sweet.
This brick was made during the early 20th century when the Holloway
Brothers owned Market Lavington brickworks. The works closed during
WW2. Info & photo by Rog.
Abraham Law, produced pressed & clamp bricks at his yards at
Brightside Lane, Sheffield & Holmes near Rotherham, with his
offices at Lady Bridge Sheffield in 1860’s / 70’s. He lived on
Brocco Bank in Sheffield & owned 34 leasehold houses & 30
acres of land on Brightside Lane. Photo & Info by Martyn
D & G
David & George Law, Intack Colliery, Brandwood Moor,
Rossendale. It was situated just off Rooley Moor Road
overlooking Cowpe Reservoir. Very poor quality brick possibly
clamp made. The works was in operation in 1876 but probably
not for long. Photo and info by Colin Driver.
Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell.
Thomas Lawrence, Bracknell
Found during landscaping work at the Carnegie Heritage Centre,
Kingston upon Hull. Bracknell in Berkshire was once well
known for its hand-made brick production, and the longest lived of
the old brick firms, Thomas Lawrence of Bracknell (or TLB for
short) started off at the foot of Wick Hill. The brown clay
to be found in this area was ideal for making rich warm red-fired
bricks, some of which were used in the construction of Westminster
Cathedral! Thanks to Alan Brigham for the
contribution. Also see the entry for W. K. (Wokingham).
Law & sons, West Melton
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Lawson Bros. South Shields
Front and back of another Lawson brick, sent by Stewart Whitelaw.
Lawson Brothers, South Shields, Co. Durham. Kelly's
Durham Directory 1914:-
George Lawson Jnr., Mile End Road, South Shields. Info by courtesy
of Frank Lawson.
Laycock & Grace
Found at Hainworth, Keighley. This would have been made by
Laycock & Green, Highfield, Keighley and listed in Kelly,
1871. Info and image PRBCO
Photo and information by David Kitching.
Simon Patterson photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum
& Lillington Brickyard Co.
Photo by Alwyn Sparrow.
Kellys records The Leamington & Lillington Brickyard Co. Ltd.
Lillington Road, Leamington in it's 1884 edition with Thomas Mills
as Managing Director. 1888 edition lists Thomas Southorn as M.D.
Then 1892 edition lists Arthur T. Elkington as Secretary followed by
later editions as Manager. From 1900 to 1940 editions (1940 last
available directory) the works address is given as Campion Road.
This was a new road built off Lillington Road to access the works.
After the brickworks had closed & been demolished, houses were
built in the 1960/70's & the filled in clay pit was grassed
& planted with trees creating an open green space. Photo and
info by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.
Info at this
link. Photo courtesy of the John Baylis Collection by Martyn
Located in Leamore Lane, Walsall.1.5 miles NW of Walsall
centre. Leamore Brick Co., Green Lane, Birchills, Walsall, a
6.5 acres brickworks site adjacent to Wyrley & Essington
Canal. Photo and info by Ray Martin.
Found in Derby by Frank Lawson
Leasingthorne Colliery Brickworks, Leasingthorne, Bishop Auckland,
Co.Durham. Seggar from Leasingthorne Colliery was used for
brickmaking at the site until 1960. The Colliery opened in 1836
and closed in 1965. By 1968, and as a result of the closure
of the Colliery, the majority of houses in Leasingthorne had been
demolished, they were followed by the chapel and school in the
early 1970’s. Stone Row survived until 1976 and by 2003 only
Eden Terrace remained. Photo and info by courtesy of the
Frank Lawson collection.
Found in N. E. Derbyshire by Simon Patterson.
Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.
Found on the site of the demolished Lord Conyers pub in a village
called Wales near Rotherham. Made by J Lee, Station Road,
Mosborough, Nr.Sheffield. Photo by Frank Lawson.
W. Lee, Barrow
Walton Lee made bricks c1880 - c1890s in Barrow-in-Furness,
Cumbria. Angus Glasgow. Image PRBCO.
The brickworks at Leebotwood, Shropshire was next to the colliery
and is shown on an 1883 map, but was closed by 1902 as it is not
shown on the map for that year. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell
courtesy of Shropshire Museums.
Found in a garden in Leeds, photo by Steve Kind, quite likely
made by the company below.
Leeds Brickmaking Co.
Found in a garden in Leeds, photo by Steve Kind. John Pease
thinks this one could have been made by the Leeds Brickmaking Co
of Armley. Phillip Rothery confirms this; it is list in
trade directories between 1875 and 1909, firstly at Armley Road
and latterly at Dolly Lane.
Leeds Fireclay Co.Ltd.
Leeds Fireclay company incorporated Cliff, Ingham, Wortley
Fireclay, Oates & Green (Halifax), Edward Brook (Huddersfield)
and Burmantoft works.
Found in a garden in Leeds, photo by Steve Kind
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Alan Dunn took this photo of the back of a Leeds Fireclay brick
in St. Albans.
Found near London Zoo by Vladimir Smirnov.
Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.
Photo by Malcolm Adlington
Reverse of LFC brick, photo by Alan Davies.
Photo by Andy Chaplin. Brick made after the takeover of the
Photo by Julie Parker. WFC refers to the Wortley Fireclay
Seen in Riccall, N Yorks. L.F.C. A glazed face
imperial brick. Photo by Ian Prest.
Found in Ilkeston by Alan Murray-Rust.
The Leeds Patent Brick Company operated in Leeds - Cross Stamford
Street /Dolly Lane / Roseville Road - and was listed in trade
directories, 1870 - 1956. After 1938, it was a branch of B.
Whitaker and Sons (B W S), list in phone book for 1956 but not
1961. Image PRBCO.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found near
Leigh & son
John Leigh & Son ran their brickworks at High Lane, Burslem
from the mid 1890s until at least 1912. They do not appear in the
1924 trade directory. Photo and information by David Kitching.
Patent Brick & Tile
The Leicester Patent Brick & Tile Co. is recorded in White’s
1877 edition at Greyfriars & works at Humberstone with J.A.
Bosworth as Managing Director. Followed by Kelly’s 1881 edition at
New Humberstone with T. Beech as Manager. Photos & Info by
Leverstock and Acorn Red Brick Co. Hemel Hempstead.
Photographed at a brick reclamation yard in Kent by Martin Fretwell
who writes: I have found a reference to a chimney stack repair in
London Road, Apsley End, Hemel Hempstead in 1897, were it was found
that the bricks used were stamped L & A and came from the
Bennetts End brickfield. The company’s Leverstock Green Works had
been established by the Norris family in 1848, operating it under
the Norris name. The family then set up the Acorn Works at nearby
Bennetts End around 1897 & the company was re-named the
Leverstock & Acorn Red Brick Co. The Leverstock Works had closed
by 1902. The last recorded advertisement for L & A brickworks
was in 1945. More about the company and brickmaking in Hemel
Hempsted can be read here: http://bacchronicle.homestead.com/Brickmaking.html
Also see the entry for Norris, Hemel Hempstead
I have found out that Arthur Lewis owned the Burbury Brickworks
which was on Percy Road, Greet, Yardley, Birmingham in Kelly’s 1896,
97 & 1900 editions. Info & Photographed at the Black Country
Living Museum by Martyn Fretwell.