"Old Bricks - history at your feet"
English bricks page 14a - Li to Lu
Found in Durham by Sid Liddell.
The Lightwood Brick & Tile Co. Ltd is listed in Kelly’s 1928
to 1940 editions at 6, King Street, Longton, Stoke. Found on a
1938 OS map that this works is shown just off Stone Road,
Lightwood, Longton. Info & Photographed at Apedale Heritage
Centre by Martyn Fretwell.
The Lilleshall Company opened its mechanized Donnington Wood
Brickworks on Pain's Lane, Lilleshall in 1876. By 1908 it was
producing 3 to 4 million high quality bricks per year, but after
the 2nd World War production declined due to expense & the
works closed in 1972. Info by Martyn Fretwell
Oliver Richardson spotted this one in Shropshire
Found on an allotment in Shrewsbury by Mike Shaw
Found at North Shropshire Recycling yard by Martyn Fretwell
Lilco, probably made by the Lilleshall Company, photo by Frank
Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John
The brickyard was established in about 1901, when Priestman
Collieries Ltd took over the Lily Drift. Brick production reached
a peak in 1955 at about 150,000 bricks per week, mostly for use at
local pits. After 1964, high quality facing bricks were produced
and were widely used in the North East, as for example at the
Airport Hotel Ponteland and the Nuffield hospital, Jesmond. The
brickworks closed in 1976. See also NCB Lilley. Photo and
info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
This Lily brick was photographed by Martin Briscoe in a display
cabinet at Newhaven Fort, Sussex. It is possible that Lily
were actually the makers of the brick machinery.
Made at Linby colliery in Nottinghamshire. Photo taken at
Papplewick pumping station, near Nottingham by Martyn Fretwell.
A W: Albion works, Long Heys Road.
Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
B: Bracebridge works
W: Waddington works
Lincoln Brick Co. operated five works during it’s lifetime which
spanned from 1882 to 1975. These were at Waddington near Lincoln;
West Cliffe, Burton Road, Lincoln; Albion Works, Long Leys Road,
Lincoln; Cross O’Cliffe, Bracebridge & Brant Road,
Bracebridge. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Found Barnby in the Willows, Newark, Notts. 2016, R Lineker,
Balderton, Newark, Notts. Post Office Nottinghamshire
Directory 1855. Found by David Ashford, info by Frank
Made in Lingfield, Surrey. Photos by Richard Symonds.
Simon Patterson photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum
Lintz Colliery Company, Burnopfield, Co. Durham. One of Durham's
smaller colliery concerns, which via a series of owners operated in
various forms from the mid 1850's to around 1924. The associated
brickworks was an even shorter lived concern, being in production
for no more than 20 years from the late 1880's. However, despite the
relatively small size of the operation and its limited lifespan,
I've recorded at least three distinct renderings of the 'Lintz'
brand, with of course variations on the theme! Photo and info
by Arthur Brickman.
Lion, Scalford, Melton Mowbray
Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.
Found on a a rough path on the Middleport pottery site, Burslem by
Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.
Carkeet Brickworks SX218732. Photos by David Kitching, part of the
collection at Wheal Martyn
China Clay Museum.
Photo by Mark Cranston. One of Tyneside's pioneering
brickmakers, reference to their first business venture is made
around 1827 with the establishment of a brickyard at Low Benwell on
the River Tyne, it's address being 'Benwell Fishery' and no doubt
the rationale for the adoption of the impressed 'Salmon' trade-mark,
which was carried on by their successors when their interests were
sold in the 1860's, by which time they had two yards at Scotswood
further west on the river; the Low Yard which employed some 50
hands, producing firebricks as in this example. Added info by
The Winterton family acquired land at Bordesley Green, Birmingham
& established the Little Bromwich Brick Co. in 1899. The Little
Bromwich Brick Co. is listed in Kelly’s 1899 edition with John Henry
Weston as managing partner. This entry is repeated up to the 1913
edition. Kelly’s 1915 edition lists a second works at Black Pit
Lane, Ward End (now St. Margarets Avenue). The next trade directory
that I have for Birmingham is the 1940 edition and it still lists
the Little Bromwich Brick Co. at Bordesley Green. The company went
into liquidation and was voluntarily wound up on the 15th October
1951. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Lloyd / Mark Lloyd, Sutton (Coldfield)
Lloyd & Son were first recorded as brick and tile makers in
1872, with the last record in 1886. The next record from 1892
indicates that Mark Lloyd, a son born about 1848, was then owner
of the brickworks. Later records exist for 1916 and 1926-27, with
the last record being in 1930. Kelly's directory for 1908 records
Lloyds Brickworks Ltd as being located at the Sutton Old Yard and
Wheatmore brick works, Sutton Old Yard being at Town Station. An
O.S. map of 1889 shows a brickworks with three marl holes in the
area between Bedford Road and Whitehouse Common Road, an area now
covered by housing. It shows four rectangles, three
estimated about 40 - 50ft long, one 100 - 125ft long, marked as
kilns. Other buildings and what could have been a wagon
track for hauling tubs up from the quarry are also indicated. A
large quantity of bricks would have been needed for the
construction of the Park and Town stations, both opened in 1879,
and the larger kiln could have been constructed around the mid
1870's producing bricks imprinted "Lloyd & Son". A local
reclamation yard had only one "Mark Lloyd" brick so where did all
the bricks that were produced from about 1890 until the closure of
the works around 1930 get used? Do they still survive in the area
or have the buildings built with them now been demolished?
This brick would have been produced after about 1890, after the
son Mark Lloyd became the owner of the brickworks. This followed
the death of his father, Charles Lloyd, born about 1815. The
1891 census records that Dinah Lloyd was then a widow living with
Mark and his wife. Photo and info by Ray Martin.
The Whitemoor brickworks had a complex history until 1872
when Walter Lockhart took it over and ran it until 1886 so the age
of this brick is quite well defined. These were the first bricks
to include the town's name. Thanks to Robin Leach for the
photo and info.
Lockwood & Elliott
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found near
Penistone. Philip Rothery writes that this a product of
Lockwood & Elliott, Woodsome Sanitary Pipeworks, Fenay
Bridge near Huddersfield.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Photo by Tommy Shan.
Lofthouse Park provided entertainment for the masses, 1908 -
1913. It was opened by the Yorkshire ( West Riding ) Electric
Tramway Company and was situated at Lofthouse, 4.5km north of
Wakefield, West Yorkshire. 'In the 1930s, Roper Brickworks
moved into the Park across the road' Source: Peter I Wood,
Lofthouse Park, in K. Taylor (edit) Aspects of Wakefield
1998. Image PRBCO.
Photo by Alan Davies.
London Brick Company
It has been estimated that a third of all the brick houses in
England are built from London Brick Company bricks. The London
Brick Company started production just over a century ago and usage
peaked in the Post-War rebuilding period up to the Nineteen
Sixties. Maximum production rose, at one point, to an
amazing 16,000,000 bricks per day. In other words - quite
there are a lot of photos of he London Brick Company on this Flickr
The early brick presses only applied two presses to the powdered
clay in the brick moulds. The trade-name Phorpres came about
because Fletton Bricks made in Bedfordshire are pressed twice in
each direction so that they are literally 'four pressed' if the
phrase is pronounced quickly it becomes Phorpres! Thanks to
A commemorative brick by LBC, Thanks to Simon Patterson for the
This photo of an LBC sample cellular brick was supplied by
Michael Shaw. It measures 53 x 111 x 38mm
A Charles and Diana commemorative wedding brick, photo by
courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found near
Woolsthorpe, Notts. Another of the Hanson casualties in
8/1984. Situated near Ramsey, Cambs and started 1886 by
Alfred Fuller; Warboys Brick Works Co until 1933; LBC &
Forders Ltd until 4/1936, then LBC. A 'Warboy's White' -
they went over to land-drain pipes and hollow bricks 1950s. Now a
tip. Additional info by Chris Fisher.
Found near Grimsthorpe Castle in Lincolnshire by Frank Lawson.
Found at Snettisham, Norfolk. Probably made by LBC after
they bought the Dogthorpe Star brick works in the 1920s.
Photo and info Chris Dixon.
Showing the 40th anniversary of the accession, 1952 - 1992.
Found in Cambridgeshire by Barry Wilson.
An old style LBC example, photo by Nigel Furniss.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
These bricks were made as a low cost alternative for load
bearing party walls. Info & Photo courtesy of the Bill
Richardson collection at Southwick Hall by Martyn Fretwell.
Made at the former Farcet Brick Co.’s works, near Peterborough.
See Farco entry for info. Photo courtesy of the Bill Richardson
collection at Southwick Hall by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo courtesy of the Bill Richardson collection at Southwick Hall
by Martyn Fretwell.
London & North Western Railway
The London and North Western Railway even made its own steel at
Crewe, so brickmaking was almost a given. The 1876 1:2500 OS map
shows a large round kiln near to West Street in Crewe along with
rectangular kilns within the works buildings adjacnt to the
Chester line. By 1898 the rectangular kilns had gone and the round
kiln had a standard gauge siding entirely circling the structure.
There were also four more smaller round kilns nearby. Info
by David Kitching.
Found near Gayton on the disused S.M.J.R. line by Nigel
Photo by courtesy of the Ian Stubbs collection. Londonderry
Collieries, County Durham.
Long Buckby is a village in Northamptonshire. Photo by Andrew
Commemorative brick. Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at
Amberley Chalkpits Museum.
Possibly Joseph Longley, 1848 - 1857/8, whose yard was at Hunslet
Road, Leeds. Found within the rear wall of the Clarence Iron &
Steel Works by the Aire & Calder Navigation, Leeds. Image PRBCO.
William Longmore, Hopyard brick works, Bentley, Walsall. The
works appears in the trade directories at the beginning of the
20th century and has gone by 1940. It was situated on Bentley Mill
Lane at the junction of the Anson Branch Canal and the Bentley
Canal. Photo and information by David Kitching.
Photo by Ray Martin
Photo by David Kitching.
Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection. Martyn
Fretwell writes :- In Kelly's Directories, William Longmore is
listed at the Hopyard Brick Works, Bentley, Walsall in the 1904 to
Brick & Tile
Company dissolved in 1955, possibly associated with William Palmer's
Longport works which may have been on Davenport Street in
Longport. Photo and info by David Kitching.
May have been made by J. Bettany, High Street, Longton in 1860,
there is an entry for this maker in Kelly’s Staffs. 1860 edition,
but he is listed as J. Betteney, High Street, Longton. Info &
Photographed at Carwarden Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Roger Grimshaw, taken at Gladstone Pottery Museum, Stoke
on Trent. Longton Hall Co. Ltd.,(George A Mitcheson receiver
& manager), Longton Hall Collieries, Longton & Fenton,
Stoke. From Kelly's Staffordshire Directory 1896. Info by
Lonsdale Brick and Tile Works, Cumwhinton, Carlisle. Photo and
info by Mark Cranston.
Hannafore Brickworks, West Looe SX255523. Photo by David Kitching,
part of the collection at Wheal
Martyn China Clay Museum.
The Loscoe Brickworks was on Heanor Road, Loscoe, Derbys. and was
in production from the 1880's to January 1976. When the clay pits
were filled in & built over, a build up of methane gas from
the material used to fill in the pits resulted in an explosion,
destroying a bungalow. Fortunately without loss of life. Info
& Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
(Senior), Solihull Lodge
John Loughton is listed in Kellys 1892 & 1900 Warks. editions at
Solihull Lodge, Birmingham. His son John junior (see below) is also
recorded as owning a brickworks on Garrison Lane in Birmingham. Info
& Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis
Junior, Paytons Brick Works, Garrison Lane, Birmingham
John Loughton junior is listed in Kelly’s 1892 to 1900 editions with
works at Garrison Lane & Yardley Wood, Kings Heath, Birmingham.
John had taken over the Garrison Lane works from George Payton who
is first listed in Kelly’s 1867 edition. From Kelly’s 1878 to 1883
editions the works is listed as George Payton (exors of), so John
purchased the Garrison Lane works sometime between 1883 & 1892.
Info & Photographed at Oldfield Reclamation Yard, Old Hill,
Cradley Heath by Martyn Fretwell.
This was made by Joseph Love and Partners who owned Shincliffe
Colliery and Brick Works which was about a mile south of Durham.
Joseph Love (1796 -1875) was also a partner in Straker and Love
(S&L in your listing), Ferens and Love (F&L), Love and
Partner (L&P). Thanks to David Oliver for the photo and
Love & Partner
Love & Partner, see above entry.
Found Overton, W.Yorks. 2014. Low Laithes Colliery Co., Low Laithes
Colliery, Gawthorpe, Ossett, West Yorks. Kelly's West Riding
Directory 1912 & 1917. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank
Lowe & Sons, Shobnall Road & Ashby Road, Winshill,
Burton upon Trent.
Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik. Started by Thomas Lowe in
1846, the brickworks is recorded in the 1857 edition of Kelly’s
Trade Directory. The company changed it’s name to Lowe & Son in
Kelly’s 1880 edition. The 1896 edition records Lowe & Son,
brickmakers at Ashby Road, Winshill, Burton and Snobnall Road,
Burton. Information by Martyn Fretwell.
Photos by Frank Lawson.
Ian Castledine writes: WDL stands for Wm Drury Lowe as in Drury Lowe
Colliery in Denby, Derbyshire, found at Flamstead drift.
W D L represent the Initials of William Drury Lowe a local landowner
and industrialist. He owned several collieries in the Denby area in
addition to the brickworks. The brickworks was sold to W H & J
Slater in 1874.
William Drury Lowe of Locko Park, Spondon was able to extend the
lands and buildings he had inherited after he invested in the
creation of the Derby Canal. The canal made the collieries at Denby
much more viable as the coal could then be transported around the
country by canal, It is also assisted the creation of potteries at
Denby which started on Drury-Lowe's land. Photo courtesy of Derby
Museums. Info by Frank Lawson.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. The works
was at Wharncliffe Woods to the north of Sheffield - found near
Linacre Reservoirs, Chesterfield.
Made by the partnership of George Edward Lowry and Walter Lowry.
Thanks to George.
Photo by Gordon Hull. Lucas had two brickworks one at
Dunston and the other at Eighton Banks which are now part of
greater Gateshead. Found at the allotment site behind Durham
Cathedral and probably came from a building dating from the
The Lucas Brothers are listed in Kellys 1869 edition at
Somerleyton, Suffolk with Daniel Knights recorded as manager. The
brothers owned the works between 1854 & 1875. The 1882 OS map
shows that a short section of canal was built to connect the
brickworks to the nearby River Waveney & today this canal has
been extended to form a marina. A web article states that the Lucas
Brothers built a row of cottages using their own bricks next to the
brickworks for their workers & these cottages still stand in the
village today. Also see Daniel Knights, Somerleyton Brick Co. &
Norfolk & Suffolk Brick Co. entries as they are all the same
works. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Robert Lucock, brick and tile manufacturer at Langrigg, in the
parish of Bromfield, near Aspatria. Photo and info by Mark
Front and back shown. A. & Luke Ludlam, Boythorpe,
Chesterfield, owned Boythorpe Colliery in 1858. Info &
photographed at Chesterfield Museum by Martyn Fretwell.
More than likely these two bricks were made at the Ludlow Brick
& Pipe Works which was on Fishmore Road & was in operation
from around 1884 and closed in 1948. There are three other options
where these bricks may have been made. One was next door to the
Ludlow works & was called the Fishmore brick & tile works
& was in operation from around 1884 and closed in 1903. The
third brickworks was at the end of Belle Vue Terrace, todays Quarry
Gardens is built on this site and this works is shown on maps from
1884 to 1924 & was closed by 1926. The fourth was the works
owned by John Sheffield located next to the town’s railway station
and was operational in the 1890’s. Info & Photo by Martyn
Fretwell courtesy of Shropshire Museums.
Found near Alfreton by Frank Lawson, Luke Evans, brickmaker of Alma
Street, Alfreton. is recorded in Kelly’s 1901 Trade Directory.
Lumen: see Harris
& Pearson, Stourbridge
This one is from Chester-le-Street and features a representation
of Lumley Castle, thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo.
More examples of Lumley bricks
Photo by Alan Davies.
Found on Roeburndale Road, Caton Moor, Caton, near Lancaster by
the site of the former Brookhouse Brickworks. LUNE,
BROOKHOUSe and LUNE 1965 bricks can all ber found close by the
former brickworks and so it is quite possible that this was made
at the Caton Moor site. 'Rural Industries of the Lune
Valley, Winstanley 2000' states the works operated between the
early 1920's and the late 1960's making quality bricks from the
local shale. Image and info PRBCO. See also entry for
The Lunesdale Brick & Tube Company was established in 1874 by
Thomas Baynes, a yeoman farmer of Hole House Farm near Caton, in
the Lune Valley to the north of Lancaster. The company extracted
clay and shale from workings in Potters Hill Wood, and transported
the material via a tramway to the their works adjacent to the
railway line in the valley bottom near Caton. A decision was
reached in 1897 to wind the Company up to enable an amalgamation
with the nearby Claughton Brick & Tile Company, and in 1901
the property and effects of the Company were sold to the Claughton
Company. The Lunesdale Company works were abandoned shortly
afterwards, as production became concentrated on the Claughton
Manor site. Photo and information by Ian Miller
Found in Hastings by Simon Patterson, some info on the works here
Embedded in the costal path behind Chesil Beach Dorset. Photo
by Bob Kennedy.
Made by H. Lustig, Goosegreen Lane, Thakeham, Sussex. Photo by
Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.
S Milner, Lydgate, Sheffield. White's Sheffield Directory
1857. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.