"Old Bricks - history at your feet"
English bricks page 15a
Mi to Mu
Michelmersh Brick Co.
Michelmersh Brick Company,
Romsey, Hampshire. Producer of both machine and handmade
bricks. The company started in 1842 still operates today,
other companies in the group include Charnwood, Dunton, Blockleys
and Hathern Terra Cotta. Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell
Photos by Nigel Furniss
Photographed at Romsey Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.
Micklam colliery was in Lowca near Whitehaven, thanks to David
Holmes for the photo and information.
Photographed at Hirum Walkers Distillery, Dumbarton by Ian
Mickley Coal Company (later NCB), Prudhoe,
Northumberland. This brickworks was associated with
Mickley colliery which was opened in the 1850's by Cookson,
Cuthberts & Liddell and owned from the 1880's by the Mickley
Coal Co. Info by Frank Lawson.
Midbrick Co., Bilston
Simon Patterson photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum
Corbridge is 16 miles west of Newcastle on Tyne.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Photo by Simon Patterson.
Found in the village of Woodlands near Doncaster by Dennis Canning.
Middleton Colliery Company
Listed is Kelly Leeds 1906 as Middleton Estate & Colliery
Company, while in 1927 a Middleton fireclay Works is listed under
the ownership of the M E & C C , info and image PRBCO
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. Found
near Marple, Cheshire, made by the Middlewood Brickworks, Poynton,
Photographed at the Anson Engine Museum, Poynton
Brick Co. Birmingham
Photo by Ray Martin. Martyn Fretwell writes :- The
Midland Brick Co. Garrison Farm & Britannia Brick Works,
Garrison Street, Birmingham, Joseph Swain, manager is listed in
Kelly’s 1890 to 1915 editions. The 1915 edition also includes a
second works at Warwick Road, Solihull. The Garrison Street works
had been purchased from the administrators who had been put in
charge after William Hancox had gone bankrupt. The year the Midland
Brick Co. closed is unknown.
Midland Iron Co. Rotherham
Midland Iron Co found at Barrow Hill by Simon
Patterson. The Midland Iron works was founded in
Masborough, Rotherham in 1844.
Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Found near Rotherham by Bob Gellatly.
Works, Coalville, Leicester
The Midland Brick & Terra Cotta Co. Ltd., Coalville is listed in
Kelly’s from 1876 to 1881 editions, with works at Coalville, Market
Bosworth & Polesworth, then in the 1891 to 1912 editions just at
Coalville. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Millbank Brick & Terracota Co. listed in Kelly 1901.
Note unusual lower case lettering used in Heywood, image and info
Millbank Plastic. Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.
Found in Hawkshaw by Colin Driver.
Photo by Nigel Aspdin, the history of the works can
be read here
Frank Lawson writes: This one was a puzzle until I contacted
the Heanor & District Historical Society who kindly informed me
that it was associated with Milhay colliery at Langley Mill in
Derbyshire. The colliery was owned by Smith & Goodwin and closed
in 1856. I subsequently found an entry in White's Derbyshire
Directory 1857 listing a "Patent Brickworks" at Milhay. From
the Phil. Sparham collection
Millhill near Darwen, Lancashire, photo by Alan Davies.
Found by David Holmes in Millom, Cumbria and assumed to be a
product of the Millom Brick Company.
B . Mills, Oxenhope
Steven Wood writes: the 1901 census returns show that Ben Mills
lived at Horkinstone near Oxenhope, his occupation is given as
farmer and fireclay merchant. He seems to have moved there from
Clayton, Bradford some time after his youngest child was born in
1893. Bricks marked [B. MILLS][OXENHOPE] have been found
near the brick works at Sawood, Oxenhope (Derek Barker's Denholme
2) and those at Clay Clough, Denholme (Derek Barker's Denholme
3). The brick in the photograph is from the latter.
Map evidence suggests that the brick works at Sawood were active
in the 1890s and those at Clay Clough from c.1900 until 1914 or
later. After Ben Mills's death in 1910 two of his sons
continued to work in the trade but as employees not employers.
William & Joseph Milner, Lowfields, Mirfield. List in
Slater 1887 and later listed in Robinson 1904 at Taylor hall Lane,
Mirfield, West Yorkshire. Info and image PRBCO
Found on a wall at Old Whittington Chesterfield by Simon Patterson.
Martyn Fretwell writes :- George Milnes is listed as brickmaker at
Mosborough, Chesterfield in Kelly’s 1876 edition. This same works on
Station Road is listed in White's as being owned by George
Haslehurst in 1879 & then by John Lee 1887 to 1912 in Kelly's.
See separate entry for George Haslehurst.
Photo by Simon Patterson. Ron Young thinks this could well be
a product of the Milton Hall works in Southend, when owned by
Found near the Northampton Arm of the Grand Union canal at
Rothersthorpe by Nigel Furnis.
Photo taken by Jo Roesen at Broadway station Worcs, read their blog here.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. The
Milward works was near Codnor in Derbyshire.
Martyn Fretwell adds; Jacob Milward, Redfern, Loscoe, Derbys. is
recorded in Kelly's for 1888.
& Bayley, Lye, Stourbridge
Photo by Nigel Furniss, who writes: Samuel Mobberley and James
Porter Bayley were a trading partnership prior to 1866 but not
before 1859, at the Thorns Fireclay & Brickworks, Kingswinford,
and at the Cradley Station colliery, Cradley Heath. They were
producing Fireclay & Manufacturing / House Coal. Also listed was
a Mobberley & Perry of Merry Hill, (the same Samuel Mobberley),
in the list of Fireclay mines in South Staffordshire dated 1875.
However, both Mobberley & Bayley filed for proceedings under the
bankruptcy act in May 1879, when the company was wound up in
liquidation, their creditors received 2 shillings & sixpence in
the pound. Bayley had no assets, but Mobberley had (in partnership
with Perry). Mobberley & Bayley do not appear in any trade
directories after 1882, but Mobberley & Perry (see below) appear
in the 1896 directory as owning:
HAYES / LOWER HAYES LYE UNDERGROUND
EMP. 14 ABOVE GROUND EMP. 6
MERRY HILL BRIERLEY
" " 3
" " 6
These were producing RED, BLUE & FIRECLAY BRICKS, GLASS RETORTS
& other refractory items from the Oldbury Marl seam.
They go on to take over the OLDNALL colliery by 1923, and BEECH TREE
by 1933, Thorns being depleted by 1920.
Only Beech Tree was in production in 1947, producing Fireclay, thick
coal and brooch.
Photo taken at Ewenny by Richard Paterson.
Mobberley & Perry, Stourbridge
Mobberley & Perry was at The Hayes, Lye, Stourbridge, West
Midlands. The brickworks for building bricks was on the main
Stourbridge Road in Wollacote and the Firebrick works was in Hayes
Lane. George Attwood worked the brickworks untill 1840, then
Fisher Bros. worked the brickworks until Mobberley & Perry
took over the brickworks, the works closed in the late
1960's. My thanks for this information go to Michael
Photos by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.
Found at Crowle North Lincolnshire by Trevor Rowbotham
Moore & Son
Photographed at a reclaim yard in Beeston Castle, Cheshire.
& Son, Stockport
Possibly later part of Moore & Bristow, see entry below.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection
at Southwick Hall.
Charles Moore is listed as brickmaker at Clements Gate, Diseworth.
Loughborough in Kelly's 1876 & 1881 editions. Info &
photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.
The brickworks of Moore & Bristow, Dialstone Lane, Stockport
appears in the 1902 Kelly's Directory but not 1896 or 1906, so this
is likely to have been a short-lived venture. The 1907 OS map shows
a brickworks with two round kilns at Stepping Hill on land just to
the east of Dialstone Lane. Photo and info by David Kitching.
Photo by Alan Hulme
Found on the seashore in Crosby, Merseyside.
Thomas Moorhouse, Cricket Inn Road, Sheffield. White's
Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham 1856 / 1857. Photo and info
by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Moorside F B
T & C Co. Bolton
Moorside Fire Brick,Tile,& Coal Co. Ltd. Ainsworth,
Bolton. Tillotson's Bolton Directory 1876-7. Slater's 1882.
Photo and info by Colin Driver.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the David Penney Collection.
Wm. Morris, Oldbury
Photo by Ray Martin
Morris & Shaw, Hall End
Thanks to Helena for the photo. Martyn Fretwell has done some
research and writes: Morris & Shaw, Birch Coppice
Colliery, also known as Hall End Colliery & Brickworks,
Polesworth is recorded in Durham Mining Museum records for 1940 (
Colliery was sunk in 1878 ). In 1947 after nationalisation
it became N C B Hall End.
Morton, Halifax, see entry for Cinder Hills
William Moss is listed as a brickmaker at Broad Street, Parkgate,
Rotherham in White’s 1879 edition. William is also recorded in the
1871 census as living in Lister Street, Rotherham with his wife
Elizabeth & two children Sidney & Nellie. In the1881 census
he is listed as a brick & tile burner & now living near
Nether Hoyland, Barnsley with the addition of two more sons, Colin
& Edwin, but from a later census it appears that none of his
sons followed him as brickmakers. Photo & Info by Martyn
Found in Worksop by Simon Patterson
Made in Coalmoor, Telford on the same site as Allenite bricks.
Moulson, John & Sons: Henry Street, Park Lane & Birch
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Moulson is a famous Bradford brick-making name; in 1866 they were
based at Bowling Old Road. In the 19th century John Moulson
& Sons had their builder's and stone yard in Henry Street,
Bradford. The first brickworks was in Park Lane and was
called Woodroyd brick works. The second works may have
originally been called Birch Lane works or Park Side brick-works,
but it was certainly later known as Bowling Park
brick-works. It was built virtually over the Bowling
tunnel. There was a large face of clay & shale in the
land, in addition to much material that came out of the Bowling
tunnel itself. Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.
Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.
Shown on the OS 1st edition map of 1893 as Mount Clay Brickworks at
Greenhill Road, Wakefield. At this time, the site was worked by J
Dunn ( exors of ). Brick discovered by Frank Lawson. Image PRBCO.
Mountsorrel is a village in Leicestershire on the River Soar, just
south of Loughborough. Photo by Peter Harris.
Mow Cop Brick Co.
This is a product of the Mow Cop Brick Co Ltd which had a works
below Mow Cop Road that was established in the 1930s and closed
c1972. Photo and information by David Kitching.
Edward Mullett is recorded as brickmaker at the Nursery Brick Yard,
Handsworth, Birmingham in Kelly’s 1879 edition. Info & Photo by
Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thorburn Collection.
Photo by Rog, history
of the brick.
Charles Henry Murray was a maker of brickmaking machines. A list of
Murray’s patents - at bottom of page . http://www.hopkinsweb.org.uk/hopkins/famhist2/murray/timeline.htm
, A photo of Murray's brick making machine. http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im1872ev13-p381.jpg
Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
T E Mycock
Found at Kelham Island, Sheffield by Darren Wall.