"Old Bricks - history at your feet"
England - page 17, Letter N.
N: see Newington or Newdigate (Surrey)
N & A Bk Co: see Nottingham &
Awsworth Brick Co.
N B: see North Bitchburn
N B C: see New Brancepeth Colliery
N C: see Norbury Colliery
N C & Co: see Newton Chambers
N C B: see North Cornwall Brick
N P B: see New Peterborough Brick
N P B High Carr: see Nonporous Tile
N P C: see Porth
N S Brick Co. Hartshill: see North
Staffordshire Brick Co - 2
N.E. Brick & Tile
N. E. B. Bedlington
Found in County Durham, photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson
J & N Nadin & Co.Ltd., Stanton, Burton on Trent from
Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1912. Joseph &
Nathaniel Nadin owned several collieries in the South Derbyshire
area including Stanton & Stanhope. Photo and info by Frank
Nailstone Colliery had been owned by Joseph Joel Ellis in the
1870ís, before he went on to sink Ellistown Colliery and build a
brickworks there. I have a mining reference to Nailstone brickworks
still being in operation in 1923, but in another reference, the
brickworks, kilns and colliery were derelict by 1930. Photos &
Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Brick Works, Watery Lane, Birmingham
Parkfield & National Brick Co. Bordesley Green & Keeley
Street, Watery Lane, Birmingham Kellyís 1908. Photo by courtesy of
the Harold Hands collection. Info by Martyn Fretwell.
National, Heather & National Brick Co, Heather
Photos by Martyn Fretwell, See entry for Neal, Heather for
Possibly: - Henry Naylor, Newbold, Chesterfield, Derbys.
White's Sheffield & Rotherham Directory 1879. Post Office
Derbyshire Directory 1876. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank
Naylor Bros, Denby Dale
Naylor Brothers is listed in Kelly 1897 and 1908 under Firebrick
Manufacturers and was principally a maker of salt glazed
earthenware pipes. The works was situated by the station at
Denby Dale, West Yorkshire. image and info PRBCO.
Neal & Co. Ltd were producing bricks at Heather, Leics. in
1901, by 1903 they had changed the company name to the National
Brick Co. At a date unknown they amalgamated with the Star Brick
& Tile Co. Ltd of South Wales. In 1971 the National Star Co.
including the works at Heather was acquired by Butterley Brick /
Hanson Plc. Closing fairly recently (2012), the site is being sold
for redevelopment. Also see entries for National Brick
Co.(England) & Star Brick & Tile Co.(Wales). Photo &
Info by Martyn Fretwell. Martyn adds, December 2014, that John French Neal,
Heather, Ashby De-La-Zouch is recorded as brickmaker in
Kellyís 1899 & 1900 editions.
Photo by Peter Harris.
Charles Neaverson is listed as brickmaking at Peakirk, Peterborough
in Kellyís 1898 edition & then at nearby Werrington in Kellyís
1906 & 1910 editions. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell,
courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.
Archibald Neill (1825-1874) was born in Musselburgh and
came to Bradford as a young man to work with his brother Robert, a
contractor of Manchester. Neill remained in Bradford and rose to
become the head of the most important building firm in the
mid-19th century City. He employed 1000 men and had his own
quarries (Oak Bank, Wrose Hill ashlar quarry) and sawmills. He
finally concentrated most of his efforts at Field Head,
Listershills, Bradford which was a very large site indeed. The
only brick-mark I know of is [A.NEILL]. It is possible that
Neill's brickworks was not at Field Head since a press report
describes the death by burning of an employee at 'Neill' s
brickworks' at Batley Carr (between Batley and Dewsbury). Neill
was was universally respected but died young of a chronic stomach
ailment and was buried at Bradford's famous Undercliffe
Cemetery. Thanks to Derek Barker for the photo and
Nelson is an industrial town in Lancashire. Photos by
courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Nelson and Altham are both in Lancashire. The Nelson Brick
Company is listed in Kelly, Lancashire 1908, while a brickworks at
Altham was established c1890 on the banks of the Leeds &
Liverpool Canal. The works became a subsiduary of the
Burnley Brick & Lime Company in 1896. Image PRBCO.
Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.
Martyn Fretwell writes :- I believe this one was made by Joseph King
& Co. at his Chapel Terra Cotta Works on Park Lane, Cradley,
Halesowen, (see separate entry). The works was situated to the right
of the Park Lane Tavern in an area called Netherend & the site
now has factories built upon it. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the
John Cooksey Collection.
No info - Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
This brickworks on Massey Street, Newark was owned by Mrs. Emily
Blagg and the
history of her works can be read in this article by Tim Warner.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of Newark & Sherwood Museum
Spotted in the main yard at Claymills Pumping Station by Alan
Murray-Rust. Alan writes: Old maps show that the brickworks
site was formerly a colliery, but with an associated ceramics
industry. It first appears on the 1903 1:2500 as Staunton Colliery
and Brickworks, the marked buildings being more prominently the
latter than the former (? was the colliery still being sunk and
the spoil used for brickmaking?). By 1923 it has become
Worthington Colliery and Pipeworks. Although a couple of shafts
are marked, there are no tramways shown, but there appear to be 8
round kilns. By the 1955 1:10560 edition it is simply Worthington
Pipe Works, and there is a new colliery site (New Lount) to the
south of Newbold village, possibly working the same deposits as
the old pit. This shows some later structures at the pipeworks
north of the original which when seen on the 1962 1:2500 include
what I assume to be a rectangular Hoffmann-style kiln a bit to the
north of the original site. This is where the still-existing
Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Jon Gluyas. History of the
Newburn is a small town on the river Tyne to the west of
Newcastle. The brickworks was part of the North Wallbottle and
Blutcher Colliery Company and had its own tram/railway system from
the pit to the brickworks and on to the staiths at
Lemmington-on-Tyne. The brickworks was in existance from the 1850s
to 1965. The buildings were demolished in 1979 and the site is
currently a council recycling plant. The sister plant, Throckley
Brick Works (originally owned by the same company and on the same
tramway) is still in existance and is owned by IBSTOCK although it
has been modernised. Newburn bricks were mainly used for
industrial building work including sewers, tunnels and
arches. Thanks to Mick Lynch for the photo and information.
Photo by Alan Davies.
Martyn Fretwell writes: This brick only measures 12cms x 5cms
x 3.5cms. I am taking it to be a salesman's sample or a small brick
used in the construction of fireplaces in the 1940ís ? I found
it in Derbyshire.
Photo by Mark Cranston.
Brickworks in Old Heath Road, Wolverhampton. In 1958/59
directory. Photo and info by Ray Martin
A furnace lining brick. Newfield was just outside Bishop Auckland in
County Durham and was the site of Bolckow and Vaughan's
brickworks. Photo by courtesy of the Ian Stubbs collection.
Newhey is a suburb of Rochdale and its brick and terracotta works
opened in 1899 and closed in the 1930's.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Photo taken in Harrogate by David Gamble.
New P P Brick
New Plastic Patent Brick Co., Halifax Road, Wadsley Bridge,
Sheffield. White's Sheffield & Rotherham Directory
1905 / 1908 / 1911.
In Whiteís Directories Charles Keyworth seems to mentioned for the
first time in 1898 as the proprietor of the New Patent Plastic Brick
Company in Wadsley Bridge. The last time he is mentioned is in 1913
when the address is given as Halifax Road. In 1916 The New Patent
Plastic Brick Company in Halifax Road is listed wiith Mrs. Elizabeth
Brindley as proprietress. Thereafter neither Company nor
proprietress seem to occur any more but it seems that the site may
have been taken over by The Sheffield Brick Co. Photo and info
by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Peterborough Brick Co.
Photo by Tom Langton. Brickmakers of Farcet and Fletton.
Formed in 1896 as the Peterborough Brick Co. Ltd. but reformed after
acquiring new sites in 1897 as the New Peterborough Brick Co. Ltd.
Sold to the London Brick Co. Ltd. in 1924.
An article from the London Gazette: John Salmon, Isaac
Bircumshaw, John Rowbottom, and William Clarke Lowe, of Newtborpe,
in the parish of Greasley, Nottinghamshire, Brick and Tile Makers,
trading under the name of the Newthorpe Brick Company, is this day
dissolved by mutual consent.óDated this 16th day of January,
1879. Photo & Info supplied by Martyn Fretwell.
Newton - see Marbrow
Edward Newton was a brick maker in Leicester in the late 1800ís . He
is listed as trading from 18 Cobden Street in a directory of 1870
and is then listed in Kellyís directory for 1881 at Melbourne Road.
A map of 1884 shows a group of clay pits in this area but the owners
are not individually named on the map so it could be one of
these that he owned. This brick was recovered from a house built in
1870 on Princess Road East. Photo and info by Dennis Gamble.
David Oliver writes: Near Bishop Auckland, County Durham. A
firebrick works was set up here in the 1880ís by Henry Stobart and
Partners. It continued to operate into the 1980ís when it was
owned by the Hepworth Iron Company
Newton Cap Colliery and Brickworks were situated north of Bishop
Auckland near Toronto, with a siding onto the Bishop Auckland to
Durham railway line. Image PRBCO.
Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Newton Chambers Co.Ltd., Thorncliffe, Chapeltown, Sheffield.
Newton Chambers owned coal, chemical, steel and brick works at
Chapeltown to the north of Sheffield. They also produced the
famous "Izal" products and "Churchill" tanks during WW2.
Photo by Ian Miller, Newton le Willows possibly?
New Byron Brick Co. Palterton, see entry for Byron
New Century, Darwen
Photo by David Kitching
Brian O found this one on the Dee estuary foreshore.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
New Haden, Cheadle
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. New Haden
Colliery was acquired by John Slater in 1917 and became part of
his Berry Hill group in 1922. A brickworks was opened at New Haden
to use clay worked from measures adjacent to the Little Dilhorne
seam at the colliery. It was still operating in 1947 although the
colliery had closed in 1943 although looks as if in later the
works was using pit shale from the tips as a raw material. Info by
Peter Harris made this on the machine that came from New Star Works
in Leicester at Barkby Thorpe. The machine is currently
exhibited at Snibston Museum.
This is due to close in 2015.
Newdigate Brickworks, Surrey. Photo by courtesy of the Richard
Martyn Fretwell writes: Made at Newington, near Sittingbourne.
New Monckton Collieries
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. This
colliery was near Royston in South Yorkshire.
Photo by John Pease.
& Co. St. Enoder
Burthy Brickworks, Summercourt, Cornwall SW919557. Photo by David
Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.
The Noble families operated brickworks at both Penshaw, south of the
Wear and at Washington to the north. This standard sized firebrick
could therefore have been produced at either location, the
simplified lettering giving no clues as to its age. Without an
initial, directories quote both 'T' and 'T.R.', tying it down is
almost impossible, unless of course you can offer some further
information? Photo and info by Arthur Brickman.
W. Nock, Erdington
Started by William Nock (born Birmingham around 1855, died 1894) in
the 1870's with large pit located at Holly Lane, Erdington,
Birmingham. After closure, the pit was used for waste disposal,
including industrial waste. It was later capped and became an open
space although there are outline plans to build 250 homes on the
area. Photo and info by Ray Martin.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thorburn Collection.
This one has an added 'Star of David'. Photo by Martyn Fretwell
courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.
& Co. Hanley
Joseph Noden started his brickworks which was located just off Leek
New Road, Sneyd Green in 1874 & he is listed in Kellyís 1880 to
1900 editions at Sneyd Green, Cobridge, Burslem, SOT. He also
produced bricks for the Potteries Brick Company, a trade
organisation which stamped their bricks P.B.Co. Ltd. & a letter
to signify the maker. Info & Photographed at Apedale Heritage
Centre by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Mike Gregg. This brick is the product of the
Nonporous Tile Co, High Carr Tileries, near Chatterley in North
The works was close to the High Carr Colliery of Ralph Sneyd to
which he built a railway branch in 1860. The pit was mainly
supplying ironstone to the Goldendale Ironworks. By 1872 the works
was in the possession of J.H. Williamson who was running the
ironworks with his brother E.W. Williamson.
The first reference to the Non-Porous Tile Co is in 1894 and then in
1897 the trade directories list J.H. Williamson & Co, High Carr
Tileries. They opened a new brickyard in 1897 and in 1898 it had
five beehive kilns. It appears that this was a replacement for the
works at the old High Carr Colliery as by this time a new pit had
opened a short distance to the south of the original one which had
been abandoned. In 1920 the works is stil listed as J.H. &
E.W.Williamson Co, Non-Porous Tile Works, but in 1924 it is under
the Nonporous Tile Co.
Shortly after the High Carr Tileries were acquired by J.F.E. Rowley
Ltd and they subsequently ran the business in their own name until
it closed in 1956. Thanks to David Kitching for the info.
of the works. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Norbury Colliery brickworks was operated by Messrs Clayton
& Brooke in the nineteenth century. The works was
located behind the Robin Hood pub on the north side of the
main road from the colliery which was situated between
Hazel Grove and High Lane in Cheshire. It appears that
brickmaking ended with the closure of the colliery in
1892. Photos and info by David Kitching.
Found near Taxal in Cheshire by Frank Lawson.
David Kitching writes: this is almost certainly pre-1878 when the
pit where I found it was closed and there has been no development
use of the (very rural) area since.
Photographed at a reclaim yard in Beeston Castle, Cheshire.
David Kitching writes: The Norbury Moor brickyard was situated on
Jackson's Lane in Hazel Grove, near Stockport, Cheshire, and
appears to have started production c1890. It still appears on the
1907 surveyed 25" OS map, but probably didn't survive the First
World War. The map shows a large preparation building and four
Made by E & R Norman of Chailey Potteries, East Sussex. The
brickyard was opened in the late 17th Cent, extended to the north
and east in the 19th & 20th centuries and were still in
operation in 1993 as part of the Redlands group. Richard Calchin had
two brick-kilns on South Common in 1711. John Pullman acquired the
site in 1721 and sold it to George Colvin in 1734. In 1762 John
Billinghurst of Ditchling brickworks became the owner and in 1792
his trustees sold the yard to Richard Norman, who was already
working there. The business was then managed by successive
generations of the Norman family until it was sold to Redland Bricks
Ltd in 1959. They produced kiln-fired bricks, tiles and drainpipes
with glazed and unglazed pottery and mathematical tiles added to the
range in the 19th century; since 1960 clamp bricks only.( M.
Beswick, Brickmaking in Sussex, pages 129-130.)
Photo and research by Richard Symonds collection.
The company was started by Thomas Norman and Thomas Underwood as
plumbers and glaziers in Leicester in 1825. Thomas Underwoodís son
John joined the company in the 1860ís and became a partner. By the
1880ís the company was employing fifty men & boys, it was at
this time the company diversified into building & brickmaking.
The company was originally on Freeschool Lane for 180 years and now
the site is part of the Highcross Shopping Centre. The present day
company - high quality roofing & glazing is run by seventh
generation decendant, Johnathan Castleman. Info and Photo by
A brickworks located close to Nunthorpe, South of
Middlesbrough. Found at South Gare, near Redcar, August 2008
by Alex Betteney.
Photo by Jon Gluyas.
Found in Longframlington, photo by Alan Murray Rust.
Normanton Brick Co.
Normanton is a town near Wakefield in West Yorkshire and the
brickworks is still in business today.
Found in a garden in Leeds, photo by Steve Kind
The brickworks site on Wakefield Road remains in situ
(February 2014) with Company succession listed in Trade Directories
as follows:- 1887 - 1893 Wilson & Kirk, 1897 - Kirk, 1901 - 1922
Westfield Brick Co. Image PRBCO.
Itís recorded that the Norris family established a brickworks
at Leverstock Green, Hemel Hempstead in 1848. D. Norris & Son
are listed in Kellys 1860 edition through to itís 1882 edition.
Kellys 1886 edition now records Robert R. Norris as the owner of the
Leverstock Green Works & Robert continues to be listed up to
1899 edition. Around 1897 Robert establishes a new works at nearby
Bennetts End (as shown on the 1897 OS map) & was called the
Acorn Works. Robert R. Norrisís company was then re-named &
Kellys 1902 edition records the Leverstock & Acorn Red Brick Co.
with Richard R. Norris as Managing Director at Bennetts End, Hemel
Hempstead, so Richard R. Norris had taken over. The 1897 map still
shows the Leverstock Green works, but itís not shown on the 1923
map, so with the listing of only the Bennetts End works in 1902 the
Leverstock Green works must have closed by 1902. Richard. A. Norris
is now recorded as Managing Director from Kellyís 1908 edition
through to itís 1933 edition. The 1937 edition only lists the
company name. The last listing for the L & A Red Brick Co. is in
the 1944/5 edition of the Herts & Essex Trade Directory &
the works may have closed soon after as the land was acquired for
the "New Town" development. Also see entry for Leverstock &
Acorn Red Brick Co. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Benjamin North, Wortley Firebrick Works, Upper Wortley Road,
Leeds. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection
Photo by Martyn Fretwell, from the Phil Sparham Collection.
Phillip Rothery has added some background information:
Benjamin North is listed in trade directories from 1863 as sole
maker. By 1890, North is in partnership withRaywood and by
1898 he is in partnership with Pflaum at Wortley Moor Road,
Leeds. the two names are linked in the directories until
1911/1912 although there is a later entry in 1922. The 1908
edition lists North & Pflaum (white, glazed and coloured),
Wortley Firebrick Works, Upper Wortley Road, Leeds.
Northam - Eye Green
Found on the site of the factory at Eye Green, near Peterborough.
One of many small manufacturers around Peterborough.
Subsumed by the London Brick Co. in the 1920s. Photo and
info by Chris Dixon. Link
history of the works.
Photo by LBC Steve.
Cornwall Brick & Tile
North Cornwall Brick & Tile Co Ltd, St Columb Rd SW911595. Photo
by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.
North Cornwall Brick & Tile Co Ltd, Tolcarne SW818614. Photo by
David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.
Northcot Brickworks , Blockley, Moreton in Marsh,
Gloucs. The Northcot brickworks was started by Captain
Spencer Churchill, a cousin of Sir Winston Churchill, back in 1927
to provide employment for people in the area, particularly those
on his estate, and to him it was as much a hobby as a business.
Following Captain Churchillís death in 1964 E.H. Smith purchased
the site and still continue brick production. I*nfo by
courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Thanks to George for the photo.
Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. Found at
Holcombe Brook - Summerseat is between Ramsbottom & Bury in
North Bitchburn, Darlington
Found near Chesterfield by Simon Patterson.
North Bitchburn is located 3km south of Crook. County
Durham. These firebricks are spread far and wide.
Listed in P.J. Davison, Brick and file works sites in North East
England c1970 as Sanitary Pipe and Fireclay Works, North Bitchburn
Colliery 18?9 - 1969. Image PRBCO.
Made in North Shields on Tyneside. Photo taken at Beamish.
Photo taken by George.
North Staffordshire Brick and Tile Co. - 1
The North Staffordshire Brick & Tile Co. Ltd. had an
extensive works at Chesterton,
Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs. VITROS seems to have been a trade
brand which the
company used for a number of its products. The photo above is a
Blue brick, so coloured by regulating oxygen levels within the
kiln during firing.
This example is a VITROS smooth red 1Ĺ inch thick paviour/ coping
Thanks to Tim Lawton for the above information.
Staffordshire Brick Co. - 2
Martyn Fretwell writes :- There is the possibility that the N.S. on
this Hartshill brick could stand for North Staffordshire. There is a
North Staffordshire Brick & Tile Co. at Chesterton (Vitros
Brand) but the two companies may be unrelated. With the help of Tim
Lawton who has found one of these bricks on Garner Street, Stoke,
Tim has established that a brickworks that he has found on a map
dated 1879 located between todays North Street & the old Market
Drayton railway branch line is a good contender for where this brick
was made. This Hartshill works may have closed by 1890 as it is no
longer shown on a map dated 1899 & I have found no trade
directory entries for a N.S. Brick Co at Hartshill. If anyone can
confirm the company name of this brick, please contact David. Photographed at
Apedale Heritage Museum by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo taken at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.
Nostell is a village near Wakefield, West Yorkshire. Photos by
courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. The works is still
open today as part of Ibstock Brick. It contains a very old building
early 1900's that is still used for making special bricks.
& Awsworth Brick Co.
Nottingham & Awsworth Brick Co. Awsworth, Nottingham Kellyís
1876 edition. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill
Museum by Martyn Fretwell.
Builders & Brick Co.
The Nottingham Builders Brick Co. is first recorded in Kellyís 1876
at Sneinton Hill. In the 1885 edition the works is then recorded as
Carlton Road, which may be the same site and this works continues to
be listed in Kellyís until itís final available edition in 1941. The
works closed in the late 1950ís / early 1960ís. Info & Photo by
Martyn Fretwell. Courtesy of Nottingham City Museums &
The Nottingham Patent Brick Co. was formed by two Nottingham
brickmakers Edward Gripper & William Burgass in 1867 & they
were later joined by Robert Mellors in 1881. This company is record
in Kellyís from 1876 with works at Carlton & Mapperley with
entries for Thorneywood Lane, Woodborough Road, Mapperley Hill,
Burgass Road & Arnold all being listed in later editions. In
1969 production at Mapperley & Carlton Hill ceased only leaving
Dorket Head at Arnold. The brick inscribed made at middle yard
Mapperley 2nd May 1969 was the last brick to be made there. In 1976
the company dropped Patent from itís name & then in 1987 the
Dorket Head Works was acquired by the Marley Brick Co. The works
changed hands again in 1993 becoming part of the Tarmac Group. 1996
sees the change to the present day owners of the works Ibstock. The
Company is most famously known for producing the millions of bricks
required in the building of St. Pancras Railway Station & Hotel
in the 1860ís. Info & Photos by Martyn Fretwell, Courtesy of
Nottingham City Museums & Galleries.
Commemorative last brick from Mapperley works. Photo by Martyn
Fretwell, Courtesy of Nottingham City Museums & Galleries.
Photo by Jeff Sheard, Courtesy of Nottingham City Museums &
Nunnery Colliery was sunk in the early 1860ís close to the city
centre of Sheffield and a brickworks was established in the early
1900ís, producing half a million bricks per month. The colliery
& brickworks were Nationalised in 1947 with the pit closing in
1953. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the David Penney
G. Nutter, Wellingborough Road, Kettering is listed in Kellys
1854 edition, then the 1869 edition reads, G. Nutter, Horse Market,
Kettering. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill
Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.