"Old Bricks - history at your feet"
English bricks page 18a - Letters: Pi to Q
Edward Pickles is listed at 'Manuels', Cullingworth in Kelly West
Riding, 1904 and 1908. The works is also shown on the O S map
of 1920, though was probably abandoned by this time. Found at
Moat Hill, close by the brickworks site. Info and image PRBCO.
James Pidgeon is listed at Ladypool Lane & Brighton Road,
Sparkbrook, Birmingham in Kelly's 1867 to 1879 editions. Info &
Photographed at Four Oaks Rec. Yard by Martyn Fretwell.
J. Piggin Stapleford
Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.
Made at Battledown, Cheltenham. Photo by Dave Crewe.
Pilkington's owned a number of collieries in the St Helens area
and also the ancilllary brickworks. Greengate Colliery was at one
time owned by the Greengate Brick and Tile Co. The colliery closed
in 1915 but the brickworks appears to have continued after this.
It was situated close to the railway on land at the rear of the
current Pilkington's Greengate factory. Thanks to David
Pinewood Estate Brick & Tile Co. Chapel Lane, Little Hungerford.
West Berkshire was in production between 1908 & 1967. More
details of the works at this link. http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MWB15880&resourceID=1030
Info & Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn
Made in Pinxton near Bolsover, Derbyshire. Martyn Fretwell writes
:- In or around 1890 the small Pinxton Brickyard was situated
between No. 1 Colliery & Langton. Mr. Cotterill being the
brickmaker, pressed Pinxton in every one. The firing up was very
primitive and the bricks were sold for as low as 16/-
(shillings) per 1,000. Piece rate wages were very poor. The
site was next used to build Brookhill Colliery on but is now
an industrial estate.
Pioneer Co. Buxton, Derbyshire. Found by Colin Driver in
Martin Fretwell's blog on Pioneer may
be read here.
This brick & tile works started in 1883, and was until 1900
a small village brickyard, operated by William Blundell, By 1927
it had expanded considerably now possessing four circular
downdraught kilns, and a tramway to the quarry at the north end of
the site. By 1940 the site was abandoned. Pitsford is a small
village, north of Northampton, noted for the nearby reservoir, in
Northamptonshire. Photo and info by Nigel Furniss.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
The front and back of a Place brick, photo by courtesy of the
Frank Lawson collection.
Found at Ryhope Pumping Engines Museum. Photo by courtesy of the Ian
Photo by Ray Martin. This Planet brick was made by J.T.
Price at his Kingswinford brick & tile works which was located
across the road from Planet Colliery & St. Mary’s Church in
Kingswinford and is shown on this map dated
Photo by Charles H Ball.
Plant & Hammersley only appear in Kelly’s directory for 1876 and
are listed as being at Dresden Mills, Hanley. Photo and information
by David Kitching.
Plashetts is a small settlement in Northumberland
about 22 miles (35 km) north west of Hexham. The coal
mine and adjoining brickworks are now submerged under Kielder
Water. Photo by Lisa Raisbeck.
Found at Cawarden near to some Accrington bricks, so could be from
Lancashire. Photographed at Cawarden Rec. Yard by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Richard Cornish.
Photo by Tom Langton.
Spotted in Welwyn Garden City by Mark Plowman.
T. Plowman owned the Kiln Farm Brick Kilns yard in Woolpit, Suffolk
from 1869 to 1879 and he is listed in Kelly’s 1875 edition. This
yard was later taken over by the Woolpit Brick & Tile Co. in
1883. Info and Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Richard Symonds.
Found in Dungeness. Pluckley is a small village in Kent,
The brickworks opened in 1877 and the remains of the derelict
works still stand. Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Steve French.
Stock Bricks (Redlands)
Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.
Harper & Moores, Stourbridge
Plymouth Fireclay Co SX426719. Photos by David Kitching, part of the
collection at Wheal Martyn
China Clay Museum.
Commonly seen around Pontefract, Pomfret being the 12th century
name for the town. Possibly made by Wilson & Walker,
Monkhill, Pontefract. Image and info PRBCO.
From a now demolished building in Pocklington. Photo by Leslie Waby.
Brick Co. Beacon Hill, Poole
Found by Alonso González Aguilar in Costa Rica.
Pope and Pearson
Pope & Pearson's Altofts brickworks situated between
and Castleford. Info by David Kitching.
Photo by Nigel Megson at Crofton, Wakefield
This brick came from a demolition site on a street called Silver
Royd Hill, Leeds. Photo by David Soulsby.
Pearson, New Hey
Made near Rochdale, photo by David Kitching.
Porritt & Son, Moss Side Brickworks, Lytham. Found in
Whitefield by Colin Driver.
Ken Perkins believes this brick was made by John Cope at his Port
Vale Tilleries around 1875 & John is listed at Port Vale in
Kelly’s 1868 & 1872 editions as producing blue metallic bricks.
Info & Photographed at Apedale Heritage Centre by Martyn
Porth Brickworks, Newquay SW832629. Photos by David Kitching, part
of the collection at Wheal
Martyn China Clay Museum.
Manufactured by Richard Potter b .1827 Banbury and d. 1880
Middlesbrough. He had a building and brick manufacturing business
in Middlesbrough with his partner David Doull Wilson.
Information supplied by Julie Boynton.
Addison Potter started his Willington Quay Brickworks on the Tyne
near Wallsend in 1846, an extension of the newly created Townely
Cokeworks, he already owned Throckley Colliery and Brickworks
further to the west.. Although the site was extended and additional
kilns built in the early 1850's, some thirty years later the site
had been turned into a Cement and Limeworks, with no further record
of brick production. A find from the estuary at Seaton Sluice, the
site of its Bottle & Glassworks, which offers a wealth of 19th
century industrial artefacts! Photo and info by Arthur
Samuel & Philip Potter are recorded as brickmakers at
Rutland Wharf, Ilkeston in White’s 1857 Directory. Photo & Info
by Martyn Fretwell.
Potteries Brick Co.
Tim Lawton writes: The Potteries Brick Co was a marketing
and sales merchanting company for a group of around eleven of the
Potteries area brick producers. The company itself did not have a
manufactory but must have had arrangements with the respective
producers for them to press their wares with the P B Co. stamp.
The P B Co. office address given at 17 Albion Street was part of/
adjacent to the Bethesda Methodist Church on Albion Street in
Hanley. The building has long since been demolished. This town
centre location confirms that the company was purely an
administrative organisation. Whether the company itself was
jointly owned by those respective manufacturers it acted as agent
for is a question still to be answered. Likewise, the date of
commencement of business is still unclear but as P B Co bricks can
be found in many late 1800s/ early 1900s buildings I would suggest
that the company had a sustained history through to 1966 when it
was dissolved. In terms of those letters pressed into the bricks
along with the PB Co Ltd name, I believe that each manufacturer
was given a specific allocation of letters to use. I have various
examples ranging from PB Co A through to R plus AB and AC. Which
letters were used by each producer remains unclear. The Potteries
Brick Co must have been very significant and influential business
within the North Staffordshire area and beyond. It is still
possible to find vast quantities of the company's marked bricks in
the locality. From the old trade catalogue advertisement, the
combined capacity to produce 3,000,000 bricks a week is a huge by
today's standards, never mind in 1942.
Ken Perrkins has unearthed an advert, a copy of which is on the Photo Gallery page, showing the
companies involved were: Berry Hill, Birchenwood, Bean's,
Cobridge, D Duddell, Fenton Collieries, J Hewitt & Son Fenton,
Leigh & Sons, J Noden, Wm. Palmer, Patent Hydraulic Sagger
Brick & Marl (1927), Stafford Coal & Iron, Staffordshire
Brick Co. Wall Grange, Sneyd Collieries, Stephens Bros. Fenton, T
E Walley, Thos W Ward Apedale.
Thanks to Ian Castledine for the photos.
Photo by David Kitching.
Photo by Alan Murray-Rust.
Photo taken in Pontesbury for Michael Shaw.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of Shropshire Museums.
John Poulton & Son produced bricks, ridge tiles, chimney pots
and moulded bricks at his Waterloo Kiln on Waterloo Road in
Katesgrove, Reading. He was well known for producing terracotta
dragon finials in the 1880’s. In 1908 Poulton sold his kiln to S
& E Collier, Reading’s largest brick manufacturer who continued
to produce various dragon finials & fancy bricks to Poulton’s
designs at the Waterloo Kiln. Examples of these dragon finials can
be seen all around Reading and also at the Griffins Head in
Caversham. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
U. Poundall, Cotmanhay, Nottingham is listed in Kelly's 1855 edition
as brickmaker. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by
In 1875 extensive brickworks were erected by Lord Vernon's
Poynton Collieries near Poynton railway station. They were
established mainly for the purpose of utilising the pit shales
drawn in the course of coal work and
also for the manufacture of ordinary bricks The works comprised a
steam engine with a 16 inch cylinder, Boiler, Crushing and
Grinding Machinery, pug mill and brick making machine (Morands).
The machinery was made by Messrs. Easton and Tattersall of Leeds.
The machine was reckoned to be capable of making 2 million bricks
per annum at a labour cost of 10s per thousand. A brick drying
shed in which the drying is effected by the exhaust steam of the
engine was also erected. A patent brick kiln (Pollock &
Mitchell) with 8 chambers was built, with
a chimney 120 feet in height. By 1910 a third circular kiln
had been added. The brickworks had closed by 1920 when it was
offered for sale. Photo and information by David Kitching
Photographed at the Anson Engine Museum, Poynton
Made in Southwick, Sunderland.
The Premier Brickworks was owned by W.E. Washbourne & Co. on
Parkfield Road, Wolverhampton & is listed in Kelly’s 1932
edition. In the 1936 & 1940 editions the Works is listed as
Washbourne & Co & when the Company went into Liquidation on
5th April 1940 it was owned by Charles Oliver & Sidney Rawlings.
Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection &
Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Found in N. E. Derbyshire by Simon Patterson. Made by the
Aldridge Brick & Tile Company, see entry for Utopia for
Found near Abergavenny. Photo by Richard Paterson. These
'Press Hard' bricks were made by the Broadmoor brickworks,
Cinderford in the Forest of Dean, see separate entry.
Additional info by Phil Jenkins and Frank D Williams.
Made at Preston colliery, North Shields near Newcastle
Photo by Alwyn Sparrow
A Firebrick found in Barrow in Furness by Richard Cornish.
Found Drayton Bassett, Staffs. 2016 by Frank Lawson. Martyn
Fretwell writes:- James Price is listed in the 1862 edition of
the Birmingham Corporation Directory as brickmaking on Landor
Street, Birmingham and this works is shown on maps as the Britannia
J T Price,
Found by Nigel Furniss in Fenny Compton. Nigel's research
follows: J T Price operated a brickworks and clay mine from the
late 1860's. In 1896 they are listed in Grace's guide as
operating the Blakeley Wood mine for manufacturing coal and
pyrites. ohn Thomas Price was listed as living at Aston Villas,
Colley Gate in the 1884 Kelly's directory. In 1896 the company is
listed as having 38 underground and 26 surface workers at the
Blakeley Wood mine, Wednesbury. In 1956 the company acquired
Mobberley & Perry. In 1957 they acquired E.J. & J
Pearson - to be known as Price-Pearson Refractories. 1958
acquired Timmis & Co. 1961 acquired the West Hunwich
Silica & Firebrick Co. 1962 opened the Albion Works,
Brierley Hill. 1968 merged with J & J Dyson.
Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.
Thanks to Duncan for this one. Simon Ratty is sure that this
one was made by the Princess Royal
Colliery brickworks in the Forest of Dean. This was in
production from 1859 to March 1962.
Found on the Severn estuary between Sudbrook and Black Rock by
George Procter was a farmer at Copshurst Farm at Lightwood, between
Normacot and Meir Heath. He is listed as a brick manufacturer at
Copshurst in the trade directories from 1864 -1868 and from 1869
trading as Procter & Benbow with his son-in-law Charles Benbow.
In 1871 they were employing 7 men and 6 boys at the brickworks.
George Procter was 81 years of age in 1871 and must have dies soon
after as Charles Benbow is listed as trading on his own at Copshurst
from 1873 until 1904. This brick must be from the short period of
the partnership between 1869 and c1872. Photo and info by
Proctor & Lavender who were brick distributors owned two
brickworks between 1936 & the mid 1970’s. These were the Forest
of Dean Works at Cinderford, Gloucestershire & the Charnwood
Works in Shepshed, Leicestershire. Both brickworks are still in
production today operating under Coleford Brick & Tile Co. &
Michelmersh PLC respectively. P & L based in Solihull with seven
offices dotted around the country distributed bricks up to 1997 when
they closed due to financial reasons. This example is a hand made
Dark Bedford Grey facing brick made at Cinderford. Photo by Martyn
Fretwell with info received from Tony Coleman & Simon Jones.
W.M.Proud, Carlton Miniott, Thirsk, N.Yorkshire. Kelly's North
& East Yorkshire Directory 1897. Info. courtesy of Philip
Rothery. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Prudhoe is on the south bank of the Tyne near Newcastle.
Pudney & Sons, Colne Engaine near Colchester, Essex are listed
in Kellys 1871 to 1910 editions. Info & Photo by Martyn
Discovered during a building recording by Worcestershire
Archaeology in Kidderminster. Photos by Shona Robson-Glyde.
Quarry Hill, Tonbridge
Made in Tonbridge, Kent. Photo by Richard Symonds.
Thanks to Brian Hartley for the photo.
Listed in Kelly Lancashire, 1901 / 1918 as Queen Red Facing Brick
Co., Rishton. This brick was found by the Leeds & Liverpool
Canal, NW of Rishton. image PRBCO.
Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.
Colliery Co. Limited
Quinta Colliery was near Weston Rhyn and close to the Welsh border
in North Shropshire. Photo by Richard Paterson.