"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

England - page 19, Letter R.


R C - Rowlands Castle

R E & Co. - R Entwistle & Co.

R. H. & S. - Robert Heath

R. V. - Rother Vale


R. P. D. Hereford

Image PRBCO. Richard Paterson writes: In their excellent book 'Herefordshire Bricks & Brickmakers' (Logaston Press, 2007), Edwin Davey and Rebecca Roseff identify Ralph, Preece, Davies & Co as owners of the Albert Brick & Tile Works at Holmer, Hereford. They quote an anonymous description, dated 1892, which states that the works had been 'established for about 50 years' and refer to another source which says that the demolition of the chimney stack was filmed in 1968 or 1969. Davey and Roseff suggest that, at one time, RPD may also have owned the Brickyard at Aylestone Hill, Hereford.


Radcliffe

The Radcliffe Coal Company was sited at Amble quayside, Northumberland 1875 - 1955 - P.J. Davison, Brick and file works sites in North East England, c1970. Image PRBCO.


Rainbow

Rainbow was a trade name of Samuel Evers & Sons, Homer Hill works, Netherend Lane, Cradley, Halesowen, West Midlands. The red brick was made from colliery waste.  The Company made Firebricks and Fireclay goods and the works closed around 1970.  Photo by Michael Raybould.


Rainford

A Lancashire brick, Photographed on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside.


Rake F B Co.

Ian Miller writes: This is a refractory brick manufactured by the Rake Fire Brick Co Ltd of Manchester. From the very limited research I have carried out, it seems that this company was producing bricks from the early 1860s, when they appear in trade directories. By the late 1870s, the firm had premises on Lees Street in Ancoats (Slater 1879, 313). The last reference to the company in trade directories, however, is in 1883, suggesting that they may have ceased trading by the mid-1880s.  The attached example was recovered from a former industrial site in the Clayton area of east Manchester.

Colin Driver writes: I recently found a RAKE FB Co brick in Littleborough very near to the former Rake Inn at the bottom of Blackstone Edge Old Road. Further enquiries resulting in me finding a listing in MacDonald's 1879 Directory of the "RAKE FIRE BRICK COMPANY - Halifax Road,Littleborough.


Ramsay, Newcastle

Messrs G. H. Ramsay and Co, Fire Brick Works.  The founder of this business, Mr. G Heppell, first established his brickworks at Derwenthaugh.  Expansion plans were put in hand and the largest brickworks in the area were built, capable of completing 7 million bricks per annum.  Clay used in the making of the bricks was transported from the colliery which was about 300 yards away.  Thanks to George Simpson for the contribution.


Randlay, Salop

Started in 1838 by the Botfield family in Stirchley, now part of Telford.  It became the Randlay Brickworks in 1856.  The brickworks closed by the end of the 1960's with the loss of 91 jobs.  It was estimated that in the 1960s the brickworks could produce over 300,000 fiery red bricks in a week; sufficient to build 43 semi-detached houses.  More info here: http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/GB149_D-SSW_2_AB/

Gareth found hundreds of these in woodland near Telford.


Ravenhead Sanitary Pipe & Brick Co.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.



Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.

Both found on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside.  

Fiona photographed this one in Bootle.

John Harrison has discovered that all the above are products of the Ravenhead company.  Their 1922 products book can be read here.


Ravenscar

Richard thinks the W represents the Whitaker Brick Co., the owners of the works.

Ravenscar is a village around 12 miles north of Scarborough and has been described as 'the town that never was'. At the end of the 19th Century a development company bought the headland with a view to developing a town that would rival Scarborough and Whitby as a resort. Drainage was put in, ornamental gardens created, streets laid out and named and the nucleus of a shopping centre and a few houses were built, but the investors were unimpressed. The town for which Ravenscar Brickworks was established in 1900, by the Whitaker Brick Co, was never built. Nevertheless, the brickworks, set up in an old Alum Quarry, continued in production into the 1930s and, with the benefit of its own railway siding, provided bricks for, amongst other projects, the former Odeon Cinema in Scarborough. Though the two chimneys were demolished by the military in 1960, the substantial remains of the Hoffman kiln remain on land now owned by the National Trust.  Photos and information by Richard Paterson.


Ravensworth Birtley


Redbank, Measham

 The Redbank Brick Company is recorded in Kelly’s for 1895 and was on Atherstone Road along with two other brickworks - Measham Terra Cotta  & Coronet. The company may have taken its name from nearby Red Bank Farm. In 1955 the company produced bricks and pipes. 1983 saw the company expand to produce tiles, chimney pots and terracotta. Now owned by Hanson this works closed in 2009 to be replaced by an ultra modern automated brickworks on adjoining land.  Link to aerial photo from 1933 with Redbank in foreground with Coronet works on other side of railway line. Info by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Both found in North East Derbyshire.  Hanson have opened a £50 million brick factory at Measham in Leicestershire built on the landfill and stock site of the old Red Bank brick works. This new factory has the capacity to produce 100m bricks a year with just 28 people.  Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photos and information.


Red Hill Bank Brick Works, Rocester

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Found near Wirksworth in Derbyshire. Red Hill Bank brickworks was established in the 1890s alongside another brickworks, the Rocester Works adjacent to Rocester Station. By 
1922 the two establishments appear to have amalgamated into one works which was still in business in the mid 1950s. The site is now occupied by the JCB factory.  Info by David Kitching.


Redbourn, Crowle

  Crowle is near Scunthorpe in Lincolnshire.


Reddish, Beighton


Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Frank writes: 'Beighton is an ex mining village to the south east of Sheffield and Gregory Reddish Co Ltd of Deepcar, Sheffield are listed as brickmakers in Whites Directory of 1919 - I wonder whether they also had a works at Beighton?'


Redland Flettons


W. Reed


Photographed at Beamish Museum


W. Reed

Spotted in a wall in Southsea, Hampshire by Nigel Furniss.  Most unlikely to have been from the same works as the other W Reed.


Rhodes, Pontefract

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Richard, Thomas & Baldwins, Crowle

Richard Thomas & Baldwins were a famous steelmaking company, their history may be read here.  Crowle is near Scunthorpe in Lincolnshire.

Thanks to Michaela for the above photo.

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Richardson, Teynham

Made by Charles Richardson in Teynham, Kent.  Phil Richardson in New Zealand is interested in any details of the firms history.


W W Riddell & Co., Garrison Farm



Made in Birmingham, photo by Ray Martin.

Riddings

Riddings is a village in Derbyshire . It is located 2 miles south of Alfreton.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Photographed in Kiburn, Derby.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell who writes: It appears Riddings bricks where made in Jacksdale, Notts, by James Oakes & Co. (Riddings Collieries) Ltd.  He owned several collieries, a very large iron works, situated next to the Cromford Canal and on another site next to Pye Hill Colliery, he manufactured clay pipes and bricks.  The Oakes family lived at nearby Riddings House, an 80 acre estate in Riddings, Derbyshire.  Nothing is left to see, on either site, to remind us of these glory days of manufacturing, only his bricks! 


Ridgefield, Castleford

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Ridgehill, Madeley

Photo and information by David Kitching.


Ripley

Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell who thinks it may have been made by Slack of Ripley.


Ripley, Hillsbro

Found in Sheffield 6 by Michaela.  Made at the Walkley Lane Brick Works which was owned by Henry Ripley.  These were operational from 1900 to 1904, thanks to A.K.A.Demik.


Robert Heath see Heath


Roberts, Liverpool



Spotted on the beach at Crosby, Merseyside

Roberts, Tunstall

Anthony Roberts' brickyard was on Furlong Road opposite the Greengates Pottery and was later known as Newfield Marl Works.  It is only mentioned in the 1875-76 trade directory and is not listed in 1873-74 or 1879, by which time the works was being run by Charles Salt. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Joseph Roberts



Directories would suggest this brick was made by Joseph Roberts, Quarry Brick Works, Cleckheaton - 1889 to 1897, it having been found at nearby Hunsworth. Image PRBCO.

Robinson, Crowle

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Robinsons, Sheffield

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Robinson

Photo and information by David Kitching.


G Robinson, Masbro

This was made in Masborough, Rotherham and found by Simon Patterson in N.E. Derbyshire.



Found by Ray Martin at the postal sorting depot at Sutton Coldfield Park Station, originally built in 1942 as the
USAAF Postal Depot. During WW2, all US forces post to and from Europe was sorted at this depot.
After the war it was taken over and extended by Royal Mail.



A variant from this site, found in Rotherham, South Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.

Robson



Photo by Mark Cranston

Rocester Brick Co.

Helena writes: I am after the dates this was known as the Rocester Brick Co ltd.  I believe this became the Red Hill Works. Can you help?


Rochdale Brick Co.

A curved end brick, found on the foreshore at New Ferry, Wirral.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Rock Red, Leeds

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


G Roe

George Roe of Cromford Road, Ripley is recorded in White's Directory for 1857. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Roe & Son, Hanford



Roe and Son are listed in trade directories of 1875 and 1879 as brickmakers at Hanford, Stoke-on-Trent.  Photo and information by David Kitching.  From the Ken Perkins collection.

Rogers







All made at Wheal Remfry Brick & Tile Works SW929577. Photos by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Romiley



Photo by Paul Marshall.

Rosemary

Rosemary Blue Brick. Rosemary Brick and Tile Works.  In 1984 Redland acquired the company.  Thanks to Darren Haywood for the contribution.


Rose Hill



Rose Hill is in Marple, Stockport.  Photo by Alan Hulme

Rotherham

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Rother Vale

Found by Simon Patterson in Barlborough, Derbyshire and Harthill, South Yorkshire - only 2 miles apart.   R V stands  for Rothervale, the brickworks was at Thurcroft near Rotherham and was associated with Thurcroft Colliery which was owned  by the Rothervale Company.  Thanks to Frank Lawson for the info.

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo


Roughdales

Photographed on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside


R L Roveries



Photo by Mike Shaw and by courtesy of the Nick Southwick collection.  Made in Lydham, Shropshire

Rowfant

Photo and info by Richard Symonds:  Brickfield south of the former railway at Rowfant, nr Worth, Sussex. NGR TQ 330 365.  In existence by 1875; marked as Rowfant Brick Works from 1912 onwards and said to have closed in the early 1960s, although it was referred to as Hundred Acres Brickworks, Turners Hill in 1972. James Terry advertised from 1875 to 1907. George Wells, who had another brickyard south of the former railway at Grange Road Station, Crawley Down, took over the yard. After WWII it was run by W. Harbour & Sons, of Copthorne. The map of 1910 shows a railway line into the works and 7 kilns: three circular and four rectangular.


Rowland, Dukinfield



William Rowland was operating a brickyard at Birch Lane, Dukinfield in 1857. The letters on the original brick may stand for John Rowland, Dukinfield, his father, who died in 1856. On the obverse of this brick is 'Percys Patent'. Photo and info by David Kitching.

Rowlands Castle



Photo by John Morley

Rowley Station



This is a paviour brick.  Photo by Alwyn Sparrow.  Martyn Fretwell writes: Rowley Station Brick Works Co. (David Cook Manager) Cakemore, Blackheath, Dudley is recorded in Kelly’s 1900 edition.

Royal Potteries, Weston Super Mare

Charles Phillips born 1816 in Badgworth, Somerset was already skilled at the potters wheel by the age of nine.  John Mathews was a native of Scotswood in Northumberland.  Mathews acquired the sole patent to Pooles patent bonding Roll Tile.  Conway Gould Warne was formerly a potter in Rochester in Kent, Warne invented two new products, a land drain well and an electric cable trough.  The Royal Potteries started probably around 1837.  In 1847 the clay in Weston was  pronounced by competent judges to be of better quality than any other in the country.  By the late 1930s a thousand workers were employed there.  In 1952 the Pottery received its last Royal order for 126,000 flower pots to be used in the Coronation displays around London.  Weston pottery was then still considered to be the best in the country.  The Pottery went into voluntary liquidation in November 1961.  Thanks to John Biggs for the photos and information.


Rufford

Made in Stourbridge by Rufford & Co.

http://www.tom.cockeram.clara.net/Industry/188700rc.htm

Photo by Alan Murray-Rust





Front and back of a Rufford brick, found at Napton, Warwickshire by Nigel Furniss.

Rufus

Rufus (Proctor Bros.) Brick & Tile Ltd, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire.  The brick yard was situated in the Bradwell Wood area near Parkhouse colliery (coal & clay).  This brick was found in the woodland of Bradwell Wood in 2002.  The yard also made roof and floor tiles and eventually closed in the 1970's.  The clay (marl) in this area was dug out from the hillside of the woodland as opposed to the conventional method of extracting from marl holes.  Thanks to Ken Perkins for the photo and history.


Rushforth Adwalton

Photo by Darrell Prest.  The works of Rushforth, Adwalton, is officially the 'Drighlington & Adwalton brickworks'; it is simple to find being now owned by a Brewers Fayre Restaurant. The original chimney remains as do a portion of the works buildings, now converted into a Premier Inn & Restaurant. Some memorabilia, in the shape of letters to Rushforths, are on display. This works is unquestionably the source of [RUSHFORTH][ADWALTON] bricks, very commonly found in Bradford 20th century buildings.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.  

One of many variant stampings from this site. Works operated cl893 to c1985, Adwalton Brickworks, Drighlington, West Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.


Ryder Openshaw

Found in an 1880's house in Manchester by John T Pitman



Found in a section of wall alongside the Ashton Canal in the Ancoats area of Manchester by Alan Murray Rust.



Photographed at Macclesfield Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

J H Ryley, Louth



Photo by Martyn Fretwell taken at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life, Lincoln. 

Next page: English bricks, page 20, Letter S 
Return to the England index page