"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

England - page 20, Letter S:

Sa to Sk: below        Sl to St          Su to Sw


J S S: see James Stocks, Sharlston

S A L I C: see Salvation Army Land Industrial Colony

S A S: see Sacriston

 S B / S B H: see Swan Bank Halifax

S B & B: see Swan Brothers & Bourne

S B C: see Scarborough

S B T: see Southwater

S B W: see Sturbrdge Brick Works

S C B W: see Simms Claygate brickworks, Surrey

S & C: see Scantlebury & Co, Gaverigan

S C C: see Stella Coal Company or Sheffield Coal Company

S D: see Smeed Dean

S D B: see Southdown

S D C: see Seaton Delaval Colliery

S D H S: see Samuel Daubney Hibbert

S D R: see Dyson Group

S G B: see Stourbridge Glazed Brick

S E B: see South Elmsall

S & H: see Smith & Hitchmough

S H C C: see South Hetton Colliery Co.

S I C: see Stanton Ironworks Co.

S & L: see Straker & Love

S & L B Co: see Slough and Langley Brick Co.

S M C: see Scremerston Main Colliery

S M C C: see South Moor Coal Co.

S P B C: see Sheffield Patent Brick Co.

S P W: see Single Party Wall

S R: Swann Radcliffe

Star of David mark: see P & S Wood, West Bromwich

St B: see Stanfield Colliery, Burslem

S T C Co.: see Stone Trough Colliery Co.

S U B: see Scarborough United Brick

S U G L Co: see Sheffield United Gas Light Co.

S & W: see Savage & Williams

S W S: see Samuel Wilkinson, Elland

T S: see Thomas Smith

W W S:  Simpkin, Thrussington


S & W, Newcastle


S W B


 Foss Brick & Tile Works SX432523. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.


Sacriston

A small town in County Durham. 



Made by the Charlaw & Sacriston Coal  Company.  Photo by I G Hunter.

St Day

St. Day is near Redruth in Cornwall.  St Day Brickworks, making bricks and tiles, was founded in 1860 and closed in 1912.  Grid ref:SW728423.  Photo by Ian Castledine.





Photos by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

St. Helens



St Helens Colliery was situated north of Workington near the village of Siddick, photo by Mark Cranston.

St. Johns Colliery

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  St John's Colliery was at Normanton near Wakefield and was operating a small brickworks just south of Newland Lane in 1892.  By 1907 the works had been moved to a site on the north side of the road.  It continued to appear on OS maps into the 1970s, but had been demolished by 1985.  Info by David Kitching.


St Pancras Iron Works



The St. Pancras Iron Works, London, Patent Stable Pavior. 



A deformed firebrick. Photos by Martyn Fretwell. Advert for works.

J Sadler



From a well known local brickmaking family, John Sadler is listed as brickmaker at Shidas Lane, Oldbury in Kelly’s 1876 edition. This entry continues until it’s 1904 edition when the company is recorded as John Sadler & Sons Ltd. & this listing continues until the 1936 edition. The company of John Sadler had been started as early as 1841 by John Sadler - senior who had taken over the works from his father. John - senior was then followed by his son John - junior & then in turn by his sons through to 1936. The site eventually expanded to seven acres is now the local refuse tip. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.

Sadler Bros. Oldbury



Kelly’s 1870 & 72 editions lists the Sadler Brothers as operating the Paddock Brickworks in Oldbury & then the 1876 edition lists them at the Stourbridge Brickworks in Oldbury. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thorburn Collection.

Salterwood

 also see the entry for Butterley


Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell.



Found at Flagg, Derbyshire by Michael Hardy.

Salvation Army Land Industrial Colony



The Salvation Army Land Industrial Colony, Hadleigh, Southend, Essex was started by William Booth of the Salvation Army in 1891 and the works consisted of three large brickfields turning out 300,000 bricks per year. More can be read at this link. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
J Sames, Birmingham



Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation, Rugeley.  Jacob Sames is listed in Kelly’s Birmingham 1878 & 1879 editions at Garrison Lane. The 1893 edition now records his works as the Atlas Brickworks, Garrison Lane. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Samuel Daubney Hibbert



Samuel Daubney Hibbert is recorded in Kelly's 1876 & Whites 1885 Directories as brickmaker on High Pavement, Sutton in Ashfield, Notts. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Sandhill, Calstock



B Johns & Co, Sandhill brickworks, Drakewalls, Calstock. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Sandholme



Made by Sandholme brick & tile co, Sandholme, East Yorkshire.  The brickyard was adjacent to the long closed Hull and Barnsley Railway.  Photo by Carla van Beveren.

Sandiacre



Made by Sandiacre  Brick Co. which according to the London Gazette was voluntarily wound up in 1875. Sandiacre is a village on the Nottinghamshire / Derbyshire border close to Long Eaton.  Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

Sandysike

Sandysike is a village north of Carlisle.


Sankey Aluma



Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.

Sankey, Bulwell

Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo. 



Photo by Martyn Fretwell who writes: Sankey’s brickworks at Bulwell is listed in Kelly’s 1881 to 1885 editions as Sankey’s Bulwell Brick & Tile Co. Ltd. Hempshill Lane, Bulwell with George Kemp as manager. Bricks may have only been produced between 1881 & 1885. Sankey’s were more well known for producing clay flower pots which they made at there Bulwell Pottery works which was situated a little further north of their brickworks. Sankey’s continued to produce clay flower pots until 1976 when they then made them of plastic. The pottery works relocated to Bennerley Road & their former site is now Sankey Drive. Sankey’s became part of the Fiskars Group in 1999. 

Sankey, London

Found on a Renfrewshire seashore by Ian Sinclair



Found at the  disused brick works at Stoke Bruerne (near Towcester, Northants.  JOHN HART SANKEY & SON was a cement, lime and fire brick manufacturer of Ironbridge and Essex wharves in the 1896 and 1902 directories. Established in 1857.  It is thought that the Stoke Bruerne site, near the canal, went out of production in the 1920's. The brick works had it's own canal arm off the Grand Junction Canal just south of Stoke Bruerne.  Photo and info by Nigel Furniss.



Sarn, Westbury, Salop


Found near Welshpool, Powys





Two very old Sarn/Westbury bricks sent in by Michael Shaw



Mike also found this double curved coping brick near the brickworks site.



Seen in a garden near Shrewsbury by Mike Shaw.







All seen in the former works managers house at the brickworks.  Photos by Mike Shaw.

Saunders, Chesterfield

Made in Chesterfield, thanks to Simon Patterson for the photos.

Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell who adds:  Charles James Saunders produced bricks at Storforth Lane, Hasland, Chesterfield between 1887 and 1941, and at Newbold between 1887 and 1908. In 1937 he was also in Brockwell.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the David Penney Collection.



Found by Simon Patterson near Barrow Hill, Derbys.

J Saunders, Sandiacre



Info from a notice that appeared in the Ilkeston Pioneer newspaper in 1882 - Sale of Brick & Tile Works on Bostock Lane, Sandiacre, previously owned by John Saunders. This works is being sold by Mr. Thomas Neale at his mart on Wheelergate, Nottingham on Wednesday 9th August 1882 at four o’clock precisely on behalf of the Mortgagee. So it appears that John Saunders had not kept up on his repayments & the bank or building society was selling the works. We then find that T. Sellers is the next owner of this works as recorded in Kelly’s 1887 edition. Photo by Frank Lawson & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

G Savage



Photo taken near Northampton by Brian Orton.   G. Savage is listed in Kelly's 1854 edition at Stoke Bruerne, Towcester, Northants.

Savage & Williams



Although stamped Garrison Lane the Albert Brickworks is shown on a 1889 map as being on road called Bordesley Green which joins Garrison Lane at Five Ways. George Savage is recorded in Kelly’s 1878 & 1883 editions as owning this works & I think the W in this partnership is T. Williams. Please see entry for T. Williams, Green Lanes. After Savage had spend all his savings on the company, the works was put up for sale in 1884. The Bordesley Green Brick Co. later restarted this yard around 1895. This is the year that the Bordesley Green Brick Co. first appears in Kelly’s, producing bricks using the Hoffman type kiln built by Savage until 1902. Also see entry for Bordesley Brick Works, Charles Road. Just to note this Charles Road works is the same works as the Albert Brickworks with it now being accessed off the newly built Charles Road. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thorburn Collection.

J Sawyer



Found on the beach at Crosby, Merseyside by Alan Hulme.

Saxon



The Saxon Brickworks was on Peterborough Road, Whittlesea adjacent to Central & Victory Brickworks with Itter’s works situated across the road. All these works were eventually taken over by LBC, who were then taken over by Hansons in 1984. The Saxon Brick Co. is listed in Kelly’s 1903, 06 & 16 editions with F.H. Cooke as secretary & manager with the office address of Priestgate, Peterborough. The works closed under Hansons in 2011 with production being transferred to Hanson’s Kings Dyke works. Info & Photo courtesy of the Bill Richardson collection at Southwick Hall by Martyn Fretwell.

Scantlebury & Co.



Scantlebury & Co, Gaverigan SW928581. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Scarborough

Thanks to Nick Abbey for the photo

Photo by Roger Clark



Photo by Nigel Megson.

Scarborough United Brick

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Could it be the same maker as the one above?



Scarborough United Brick Co., found on Wold Gate, Bridlington and listed in Kelly, N & E Riding after 1929 as Scarborough United Brickworks Ltd., Seamer Road, Scarborough, North Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.

Scattergood: see entry for Stapenhill

Schofield



Alfred Schofield, Shiregreen Lane, Upper Wincobank, Sheffield. White's Sheffield Directory 1908.  Alfred Schofield produced bricks at the Shiregeen Lane site until around 1912 when the business was taken over by the Sheffield Brick Co. who continued to produce bricks at the same site often impressed with the name "Winco" - a name that had also previously been used by Alfred Schofield. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Scoby Scaur, Willington

This works was near Crook, County Durham.


Scotia & Sneyd Green

Photo and information by David Kitching.


Scotswood on Tyne

Made near Newcastle on Tyne


Scott



Photo taken at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.  Possibly made in Yorkshire.

W. Scott, Choppington

Choppington is a village in Northumberland, situated a short distance south-east of Morpeth.


Scourse, Bristol



Caleb Scourse is recorded as a brickmaker at the time of his marriage in 1875 at St. Philips Marsh, Bristol. Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell.

Scourse & Kingston



Found on a building site in Bishopstoke Hampshire by Malcolm Morris.  Scourse & Kingston made dry pressed, white facing bricks in Parson Street, Bristol.  Scourse & Kingston, Somerset Glazed Brick Works, Bedminster, Bristol.



Found in Bishopstoke, Eastleigh, Hampshire by Ian Suddaby.

Scremerston Main Colliery



Photo by courtesy of the Ian Stubbs collection. 



Photo by Mark Cranston, the colliery was just south of Berwick on Tweed.



A very worn brick.  Spotted by Brenda Crowcroft on the bank of the River Tweed in Berwick.

Some history by Arthur Brickman: Scremerston Colliery was acquired by the Hartley Main Colliery group in the mid-1930's and a new brickworks established alongside the original brick and tileworks, which had previously stood derelict for a number or years. Short-lived, the brickworks and colliery closed in 1944, but during this period its production was marked S.M.C.; Scremerston Main Colliery, and used extensively within the local Berwick area.

Scunthorpe Brick Co.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Found in New Barnetby, Lincs.


Seaton



James Trehearne writes: A friend and customer of mine has sent me the attached Seaton brick from Seaton in East Devon. He has been working on a property there and has been cutting into the 16” thick rubble walls and was fascinated to find this brick which was clearly manufactured locally. This is not a very traditional brick area but they must have had a works nearby once.  Martin Smith adds:  There was a brickworks in Bunt’s Lane, Seaton but this has long gone and the area is now residential.


Seaton Burn Coal Co. Ltd.

Made on the North Sea coast near Newcastle.


Seaton Delaval Colliery



Found in Seaton Sluice by Dave Ashford.



Found in Northumberland by Mark Cranston.

Seaton Firebrick



Made near Whitehaven, Cumbria.  Photo and info by Solway Past.

Seghill



Thanks to Maurice Atherton for the photo.  Info by Arthur Brickman:  Llocated north of the Hotspur yard in the village of Seghill, the works were a typical Colliery operation, producing a distinctive buff-coloured brick, used locally for many of the villages former houses and of course the colliery buildings. Under N.C.B. ownership the brickworks were expanded and modernised and despite the Colliery closing in 1962, the brickworks continued in production for another 15 years or so, its products reaching a wider regional audience, although the 'Seghill' name no longer featured on these wire-cut products.

Selborne





From Selborne Brick and Tile, Honey Lane, Selborne Nr Alton Hampshire , the works closed a few years ago and were called Tower Brick and Tile towards the end of its history.  Photo and info by John Morley



Found in the demolished residential quarters for personnel at the U.S.A.F base at Upper Heyford from 1950 - 1994.  Photo by Nigel Furniss.



Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.

Selby



Photo by Ian Prest.

Selfrac: see Allen Halifax

Sellars Sandiacre





Kelly’s 1887 edition records Thomas Sellars as brickmaker at Sandiacre, Nottingham. Sandiacre today is in Derbyshire. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.


Sevenoaks


O 7 K, made in Sevenoaks, Kent.  Photos by Richard Symonds.



Photo taken at Woolwich arsenal by Marcin Guzek.

Shaftoe, York



John Shaftoe seems to first appear in trade directories of York from 1851 at Lawrence Street. By 1887, John is no longer listed, but there is an Ann Shaftoe listed, on Lawrence Street. By 1901 Ann seems to have been joined by an Elizabeth C, up until 1939.  Photo and info by Carla van Beveren.

Shafton, Barnsley

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Located at Shafton-Two-Gates, 6km northeast of Barnsley in the direction of Hemsworth, South Yorkshire. Same site worked by OAKLAND BROS / SHAFTON. Image PRBCO.


Sharlston Colliery

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Sharlston colliery near Wakefield survived until the 1990's.  At one time it employed 2,200 men.



Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation Yard, Rugeley by Martyn Fretwell.

I Sharp



Recovered from the remains of the former NER engine roundhouse were being removed to allow redevelopment at Green Street, Darlington, County Durham.  The roundhouse was built in the second half of the 19th century and was altered a number of times before it was demolished in the 1960's. The brick is slightly longer than 9" but otherwise normal size.  The imprint is at an angle as shown.  Info and photo by Ross Chisholm.

Sharpe



Photo by courtesy of the Ian Stubbs collection. 

Sharp & Jones, Branksome



The Bourne Valley Pottery was established by Sharp, Jones & Co. at Branksome, Dorset in 1853 with bricks & drainage pipes being produced at a later date.





The listing of Sharp, Jones & Co. Ltd. Bourne Valley Pottery & Rock Concrete Tube Works, Branksome, Dorset appears in Kelly’s 1903 to 1931 editions (31 is the last one that I have). The Company was wound up on 1st January 1958. The site was then taken over by Redland Pipes & today the site is the Redlands Trading Estate & housing. An aerial view of the works.  All photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Sharples, Bolton



Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.

Sharratt, Elland

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Darrell Prest.  

Darrell Prest writes:  Made at the Storth Works on the Rastrick/Elland border in West Yorkshire.  The brickworks became D Sharratt in 1874 then D Sharratt & sons in 1905.


H. Shaw, Sutton

Henry Shaw is recorded in a trade directory, as brickmaker and bricklayer of Eastfield Side, Sutton in Ashfield in 1885. The brick being found just across the road from his works.  Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


J Shaw, Kimberley, Nottingham



J. Shaw is listed as brickmaker in Kelly’s 1855 edition at Kimberley, Nottingham. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

William Henry Shaw, Whitebirk near Blackburn





Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

M Shaw, Whatstandwell, Derby



Mathew Shaw is listed in Kelly’s 1887 & 1891 editions at The Wigwell Brickworks & Carr Cottage, Whatstandwell, Derby. Then in Kelly’s 1895 edition the entry is The Wigwell Brick & Tile Co. Lim. William C. Shaw manager, Whatstandwell, Matlock Bath. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Thos. Shaw



Thomas Shaw,(Oldham) Ltd.,Besom Hill,Ripponden Road,Moorside,Oldham.  Found in Edenfield. Photo and info by Colin Driver.

Shaw & Swift, Longton

Photo and information by David Kitching.


Shawforth, Rochdale

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.



Found in a section of wall alongside the Ashton Canal in the Ancoats area of Manchester by Alan Murray Rust.  Clearly one that has had a double pressing.




Photo taken at a reclamation yard in Tarvin, Cheshire by Martyn Fretwell

Shaw's

This brick from its section actually looks more like a moulding from a column etc. but it's difficult to tell.  Either way I believe it's come from the Shaw's of Darwen factory, which again is still extant today. From the Shaws website it says that they begin life as the Shaw's Glazed Brick Co in 1897, progressing into terracotta and faience goods as fortunes continued.  Thanks to Tim Lawton.

Shaws Glazed Brick Co. Blackburn, photographed at the site of the demolished Greaves Hall Hospital, near Southport by Richard Paterson.



Spotted on the beach at Crosby, Merseyside.

E Sheard, Moss



E Sheard, Moss Brickworks, Moss, Askern, Doncaster. 



Probably from the above works. Photos and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  More info.

Sheffield and Sheffield & Turner, Ludlow





John Sheffield is listed in Kelly’s 1891 and 1895 editions at the Railway Station Brickworks in Ludlow. Whether John was in the partnership of Sheffield & Ludlow before or after these dates is unknown. Shown on a 1886 map next to the railway station on Station Drive this works was gone by the 1902 map. The Sheffield brick came from Ludlow's Market Hall which was demolished in 1986. Info and Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of Shropshire Museums.

Sheffield Brick Co.

Made by the Sheffield Brick Co., photo by Brickman

photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.  Sheffield Brick Company, had works in various sites around Sheffield; the dots represented sites, two dots is for the SBC brick works at Aizlewood Road.


Sheffield Coal Co.



Sheffield Coal Co Ltd., South Street, Sheffield. The Sheffield Coal Company was one of the oldest colliery companies in Sheffield being founded on 28 February 1805 to lease from the Duke of Norfolk and work coal pits in the Park area of the city. They also owned several other collieries in the Sheffield / North Derbyshire area but I can find no reference to them owning brickworks although the two industries often operated together. It is possible that the bricks were produced for their use by someone else.  More info.
Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Sheffield Patent Brick Co.

Photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.  

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Found at an old cutlery works in Sheffield - it is much longer and narrower than a standard brick and is tapered, it was placed vertically above an arched window.


Sheffield United Gas Light Co.

Photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.  Frank Lawson adds:  Sheffield United Gas Light Co. was the main supplier of gas to the Sheffield area from 1818 until nationalisation in 1949. Its headquarters were in a rather magnificent building on Commercial Street in the centre of Sheffield but I can find no reference to a brickworks in their ownership. It may be that the bricks were made in their name under contract.


Sheldon



John Sheldon is listed in Kelly’s Notts. 1876 & 1881 editions at Chilwell, Attenborough, Nottingham & at Long Eaton. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Shelton, Ripley


Mrs Mary Shelton, Upper Straight Lane, Ripley is recorded in Kelly's for 1891. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Charles Shelton, Ripley

Charles Shelton & Son, Waingroves, Ripley is recorded in Kelly's for 1891. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


W Shelton



William Shelton, brickmaker in Upper Hartshay, near Ripley is listed in Kelly’s 1876 & 1881 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.





Front and back of a Shelton Hartshay brick, photo by Martyn Fretwell.

SHEN-TEY



The name on this brick comes from two works in Essex, Shen is Shenfield & Tey is Marks Tey. The brick is thought to have been made between 1910 & 1914 & was a product of a joint venture between Shenfield brickmaker, Daniel Cornish who traded as Daniel Cornish & Co. & Collier Ltd / W.H. Collier who had works in both Shenfield & Marks Tey. Cornish is recorded as brickmaking between 1895 & 1939 & was also a director of the Shenfield & Cranham Brick & Tile Co. Ltd. History of the Collier family can be read in the W.H. Collier brick entry. One of Daniel’s brothers, Orbell Thomas Cornish was a manger for many years for W.H. Collier at their  Marks Tey Works. Photo by Martyn Fretwell & Info by Adrian Corder-Birch.

Shenstone



The Shenstone Brick & Pipeworks started in 1926 & the company is listed in Kelly’s 1936 & 40 editions. In 1967 the brickworks closed & the site continued as a builders merchant. The kilns were still present in 1986 but today nothing is left on the site which was on the junction of Watling Street & the A5127, just north of today’s A5 Wall Island junction. Info & Photographed at Four Oaks Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

William Shepherd, Wolverhampton - see Phoenix Wolverhampton

J H Shepherd



J H Shepherd, Elm Farm Brickworks, Dudley Road, Wolverhampton.  Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

Sherburn House

Found by Alton in a stream near Newcastle.  Sherburn House is a village near Durham.


J Sherlock







J Sherlock, Horsley, Derbys.   Photo courtesy of Derby Museums.

Sherwood Colliery - N C B Sherwood

Shifnal



No Info - Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.

Shipley (West Yorks.)

Wrose Brow brickworks was close to its neighbour - Wrose Hill at Windhill, Shipley, West Yorkshire.  Latterly its products were marked [SHIPLEY][BRICK]. The works was in existence by 1881.  The mapped brickworks contains a structure that does not appears to be a Hoffmann kiln.  The Wrose Brow works was later (probably from 1888) owned by Thomas Sutcliffe of Shipley.  A local contact said that she can remember the works being active in the early 1960s.  The brick illustrated is probably a late product.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the photos and information.



Image PRBCO

Shipley, Derby

Shipley brickworks was situated north-west of Shipley Common adjacent to the railway at Shipley wharf at the terminus of the Nutbrook Canal. It was operating in the 1880s and had grown by 1900, but had gone by 1914. Info by David Kitching.

Photo by Ian C

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.

A Blue Brick, found in Sutton in Ashfield by Martyn Fretwell.


Shortridge

photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.


Shortwood



 Shortwood brickworks was in the parish of Pucklechurch just north of Bristol. Photo above by Martyn Fretwell.
History of the works and photos of the works.

Shotton

Made at Shotton Colliery, Peterlee, County Durham.  Image PRBCO.


D Shreeve & son, Burton



Found in Burton on Trent by Frank Lawson.

Shucknall nr. Hereford



The works was situated in a rural location near the hamlet of Shucknall, some five miles east of Hereford. It is recorded in the 1891 Kelly's Directory as being owned by Alexander James, though a nearby cottage, evidently made of bricks from the works, is dated 1876. It is not known when production ceased, but only a few fragments of the works now remain.  Photo and info by Richard Paterson.

A. Sidey



Siddall, Stacksteads



Made near Bacup, Lancashire, photo by Alan Davies.

Siddons



 I have two options from the same family for the maker of this brick. George Siddons & Son, West Street, Oundle, Northants. Kellys 1890 & 98 editions & then George Siddons junior, Denford, Thrapston, Kellys 1890 edition. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.


Silica Products Limited

Photographed by Simon Patterson in Whitby.


Silverdale



Silverdale Tileries Co. Silverdale, Newcastle under Lyme is listed in Kelly’s 1896 to 1940 editions. A second works at Knutton was added in 1921. Info & Photographed at Apedale Heritage Centre by Martyn Fretwell.

Simms Claygate Brickworks, Surrey



Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.

Simnett: see entry for Stapenhill

Simons, Louth



William Simons is recorded in a 1868 trade directory as brick & tile manufacturer, seed merchant & commission agent owning premises at 27, Aswell Lane, Louth. Photo by Martyn Fretwell taken at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life, Lincoln, who also supplied the information.

Simpkin, Thrusnton (Thrussington)



W. W. S stands for William Wright Simpkin who owed the brickworks at Thrussington, Leicestershire, in the 1880s.  Photo and info by Dennis Gamble.

J. Simpson


Single Party Wall



Photo by Richard Paterson.  Henry Hodgins writes:  There were a number exactly like your photograph, which could be seen when the Chasewater Reservoir (South Staffs) was drained.  They appeared to me to be like autoclaved bricks.  I concluded from a Tarmac Website that the letters stood for 'Single Party Wall'.  The following are excerpts from their site:  ‘Topcrete’ dense aggregate concrete blocks are manufactured in the UK by Tarmac. Topblock Topcrete blocks are made in all three types defined in BS 6073: ‘Precast concrete masonry units’ of all types are available in Standard grade and Paint Quality, whilst solid units are also available as SPW (Special Party Wall).for the construction of solid slender party walls.

Martyn Fretwell writes ;- I have found from Kelly’s 1941 Notts. edition that SPW, Single Party Wall was a Brand Name owned by M. McCarthy & Sons Ltd, sand lime bricks (SPW Brand), Bulwell Lime Works, Thames Street, Bulwell, Nottm. So it looks like that McCarthy’s (closed 1977) made these bricks before Tarmac.

G. Skelding, Brierley Hill



Nagers Field brickworks, Brierley Hill.  A paving brick found at Swan Village station and sent in by Alwyn Sparrow.  Examples of Skelding coping bricks can be seen on the coping and edging bricks page.

Skey

Found in a railway cutting in Ripley by Ian C.

In 1860 George Skey owned the Tame Valley Colliery in Tamworth and as well as finding coal, he found large deposits of clay from which he produced bricks and many ceramic wares. The company closed in 1936, when the site was taken over by Doulton's. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.  Link1    Link2    Link3


Skinner



J H Skinner & Co., Marshall Green Colliery, Witton le Wear, Co. Durham - Found Leyburn, N.Yorks.  Photo courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Skiers Spring/Skyers Spring, Hoyland

More information on the Skiers Spring area can be read on this website

Thanks to Ian C for the photo.

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photos.  Frank Lawson adds:  The letters E F W are the initials of "Earl Fitzwilliam" - owner of Wentworth Woodhouse and several collieries in the Rotherham and Barnsley areas including Elsecar Main, New Stubbin and Rockingham with its satellite Skiers Spring Colliery. He was also associated with Skiers Spring brickworks close to the village of Hoyland.

Found on the foreshore at New Ferry, Wirral (which accounts for the mud!).

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Skiers is spelt with a Y on this one.


Next page: English bricks page 20a, Letter S: Sl to St
Return to the England index page