"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

England - page 20a

Letter S: Sl to St


Slack (Sutton in Ashfield)

Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.  Martyn Fretwell writes ; Thomas Slack of Grange Cottage, Sutton in Ashfield is recorded as brickmaker in Kelly's 1883 to1899 editions.


T. Slack (Ripley)



T. Slack of Green Hillocks, Ripley, was a brick and tile maker between 1860 and 1864. Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell.

Slack Lane, Derby



There were several brickmakers operating in the Slack Lane area of Derby, so there is a choice from Thomas Bennett, Richard Bennett, W. H. & J. Slater, E. Dusautoy as the maker of this brick. My first choice is W. H. & J. Slater as bricks have been found by the other makers & no bricks have turned up marked Slater Derby, only bricks made at Slater’s other works in Denby & marked Slater, Denby. The Slater brothers are listed in Kelly’s 1864 to 1895 editions as operating their Slack Lane Works in Derby. Info & photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Slater, Denby

Slater's brickworks in Denby, Derbyshire made this commemorative brick for George the Fifth's Jubilee in 1935.

Both photos by Ian Castledine.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Martyn Fretwell writes:  William Henry Slater and Joseph Slater's works were in operation at Uttoxeter Old Road, Derby between 1860 and 1887, and in Denby between 1874 and 1941.

Martyn Fretwell writes - Many Thanks to Gavin Fletcher for letting me photograph this brick set in his kitchen fireplace.


J Slater

John Slater, Brick & Lime Works, South Elmsall, West Yorks. - Kelly's Directory of West Yorkshire 1893, info by Frank Lawson



Found by David Ashford at Barnby Dun, Doncaster.



Found in Scrooby, Notts by Alan Murray-Rust.

John Slater, Berry Hill



John Slater purchased the Berry Hill Collieries after 1914 and in 1918 set up John Slater Ltd to operate Berry Hill and New Haden (Cheadle) Collieries. The brickworks at Berry Hill came as part of the deal.  The brick is mistakenly spelt 'Beery Hill'!  Photo and information by David Kitching.

Slough & Langley Brick Co.



 The Slough & Langley Brick Co. was formed in 1935 & consisted of two brickworks, one in each town. The 1938 map shows that the Slough works was accessed off Wexham Road & the Langley works was near to the railway station. S & L was short lived & had closed by 1942. The London Gazette records that the company was voluntary wound up at a special meeting on the 27th January 1942.  Both these works had belonged to the Nash family who had occupied several different sites in the area over the years and had been brickmakers since 1845. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

T H & G Small





T H & G Small, Kilburn - T H & G Small were owners of Smalley Kilburn Colliery, Derbyshire in the 19th Century.
Photo courtesy of Derby Museums.  Info by Frank Lawson.

J Smart

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Made in Edwalton, photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Martyn Fretwell writes :- T & J Smart are first recorded in Kelly’s 1900 edition at Ludlow Hill Brick Works, with offices at 21 Radcliffe Road, West Bridgford, Nottm. In the 1904 edition the works are listed as Melton Road & then in the 1916 to 1925 editions the entry is Trent Bridge (Offices) & Ludlow Hill, Melton Road, West Bridgford. From the 1928 edition the Ludlow Hill works address only continues until the last available directory in 1941.


James Smart & Sons, California, Birmingham



Photo by courtesy of Bristol and Region Archaeological Services.  Unearthed during during groundworks associated with the construction of a new food store at Barnes Hill, California, Birmingham.



It appears that James Smart owned shares in a brickworks in Halesowen, the name of which is unknown, so I expect this is where this blue brick was made as he only made red bricks at his California Works. James Smart is listed in Kelly’s 1867 to 1892 editions at the California Works, Northfield, Birmingham. The 1895 & 97 editions reads James Smart & Sons. The 1899 to 1915 editions now reads Smart’s Brickworks Limited, California & Lappel Tunnel Red Brick & Quarry Works, Northfield via Quinton. Smart had taken over the Lappel Tunnel Works from John Garlick who had gone bankrupt. I then have a gap in trade directories & the 1940 edition reads Smart’s Brickworks Limited, Barnes Hill, Quinton. This Barnes Hill address is the same works as the California Works & it closed in the 1950’s. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the Chris Thornburn Collection.



 Photo by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.

Smeed Dean



George Smeed started making bricks at Murston, Sittingbourne, Kent in 1846. An ever expanding company, George’s son in law, George Dean joins him in 1875 to form Smeed Dean. George Smeed passed away in 1881, but the company continues until 1926 when it was sold to the Dunstable Cement Co.   Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.   Links:    http://miltoncreekmemories.co.uk/bricks/        http://www.sittingbourne-museum.co.uk/Bricks.htm





Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.



Found in Aldershot by Bernard Baverstock.

Smethurst Grimbies

Found near Poynton, Cheshire by Ian C.


Smethurst Lowside

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Smethurst, Oldham

Image PRBCO.  S & J Smethurst, Grimbies Brick Works, Rochdale Road, Oldham. The 1890s OS maps show a works with a Hoffman type oval kiln adjacent to the junction of Booth Hill Lane and Godson Street. In 1869 John Smethurst is listed as owner of Salmon Field Colliery, Royton, Oldham. This was a short distance to the north-east of the brickworks. Info by David Kitching.


Smith



Spotted by Richard Paterson in Taunton.

J T Smith, Atherton



John Thomas Smith,Tyldesley Old Road,Atherton.  Found in Edenfield by Colin Driver.  Made at Swan Island brickworks.


Smith, Brook

Probably made in Brook, Surrey.  Photo by Richard Symonds


Smith, Halesworth



Made in Halesworth, Suffolk.  Photo by Tom Langton.

 E. Smith, Kenilworth

Ed Smith (never called Edward) was a Kenilworth builder with his own quarry and brickworks, Kenilworth's first mechanical brickworks, known to have had a "steam clay machine" in 1868. It left the Smith family around the time of WW1.  Earliest year of producing 'named' bricks unknown but this sample comes from a building dating from 1895-1900.  The brickworks site is now a tennis club.  Thanks to Robin Leach for the photo and info.


Edward Smith, Coalville





Front and back of same brick, photos by Ray Martin.

Smiths, Leamington see G F Smith, Milverton

Smith, Loughborough



Photo by Peter Harris.  Dennis Gamble adds:  I think was  made by John Smith and Son of 5 Derby Road Loughborough according to a trade directory of 1877.

G F Smith, Milverton





Photos by Alwyn Sparrow.  Milverton was a separate village but is now part of Leamington Spa.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.

Smith, Retford



Jesse Smith is listed as brickmaker in Kelly's 1885 edition at Bolham Lane, Retford & then at Moorgate, Retford in the 1891 edition. These two locations are the same yard and this brick & tile works on Bolham Lane is shown on a 1887 OS map situated just off Moorgate Road. Info & Photographed at Bassetlaw Museum, Retford by Martyn Fretwell.

T Smith, Sutton



No Info but almost certainly from Sutton Coldfield. Photo courtesy of the John Baylis Collection by Martyn Fretwell.

Thomas Smith



Found Balderton, Newark, Notts. 2016,  probably: - Thomas Smith, Caunton, Newark.   Kelly's Nottinghamshire Directory 1876.   Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Smith & Hitchmough



Found by Frank Lawson in Hoyland, works later taken over by James Smith/Skiers Spring

Smithson Prudhoe

R Smithson & Son, Ovingham, Prudhoe, Northumberland listed in  Kelly's Northumberland Directory 1914.  Info by Frank Lawson.


Smokejacks (Surrey), see Ockley


Sneyd Colliery, Burslem

Sneyd Colliery & Brickworks Company was operated by Messrs. C.and J. May from 1844. In 1875 it was purchased by Messrs. William Heath, Arthur Dean and W. A. M. Telwright, and was converted into a limited liability company in 1881. Glazed bricks were a speciality of the company, which traded into the 1960s. Info by David Kitching.

Photographed on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside.  Closed in 1962, details here.

Photo by Roger Grimshaw, taken at Gladstone Pottery Museum, Stoke on Trent.

Note the Staffordshire 'knot' on the top of the brick.  Photo by Ray Martin.





Front and back of Sneyd brick by Mike Shaw.





Photos taken by Mike Shaw at a building refurbishment site in Shrewsbury.



Found in Brisbane, Australia in a house built in 1885 by Darren Litzow.

Snowballs, Stourbridge near Gateshead




Found in the remains of a kiln on the site of the Liddle-Henzell Glass Works in Newcastle by Dave Ashford.

Snowball Firebrick Works, Derwenthaugh, Gateshead.  James Snowball, Fire-brick and glazed Sanitary Pipe Manufacturers, Stourbridge, near Pipewellgate. Gateshead

Snydale

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Snydale is near Wakefield.


Solihull Brick Co.



The Solihull Brick Co. is listed at Warwick Road, Solihull in Kelly’s 1921 to 1940 editions. The 1938 map shows this works just off Warwick Road at Sandals Bridge with the 1951 map showing it disused. Today the flats on Riverside Drive are built on this former brickworks site. Info & Photo courtesy of the John Baylis Collection by Martyn Fretwell.

Somerset Trading Co. Bridgwater



The Somerset Trading Co. Bridgewater produced bricks from 1894 to 1939. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the David Penney Collection.

Southdown





Southdown Brickworks SX427527. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

South Elmsall

A village near Pontefract in Yorkshire

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


South Hetton Colliery Co. 

Thanks to Andrew Gardner for the photo.



Found on the beach at Seaham by Anne Bell.

South Leicester Colliery Co. Coalville



The colliery was in operation between 1864 to 1989 in Ellistown, Coalville. G. Tucker agent, he may have worked for this colliery before starting his own brick company. I then have a reference to the brickworks still in operation in 1964.  Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

South Moor Coal Co.



South Moor colliery was near Annfield Plain, County Durham.  Link to details.

Southwater

Listed as the Southwater Brick, Tile, Terra Cotta, Pipe & Clay Co. Ltd at 52, North Street, Horsham in Kelly’s 1915 edition. This works belonged to the Sussex Brick & Estates Co. also recorded at 52, North Street, Horsham, works Warnham near Horsham in Kelly’s 1915 edition. Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Both photographed by Simon Patterson in Bexhill, made in Southwater, West Sussex  by the Sussex and Dorking United Brick Co. of Horsham.


This one does have a B instead of an S as it's first letter, not surprisingly they are very uncommon!



name stippled on two lines

Photos by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.



Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.



Found on the Severn estuary between Sudbrook and Black Rock by Michael Kilner.

Caroline Cowen writes: The bricks by the Rolling Track Walls and around the Mulberry harbour construction platforms at the historic D-Day preparation/departure area at Lepe Beach, Hampshire, are all Bouthwater bricks, with a good majority in good condition. http://www3.hants.gov.uk/countryside/lepe/lepe-history/d-day-lepe.htm



 Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

 H. K. Spark

Made at Shincliffe Colliery, County Durham.  Thanks to David Oliver for the info.


Sparth: see entry for Ashworth, Rochdale

Spinkhill

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Spinkhill is a small village to the north of Renishaw in Derbyshire


Spondon - see Bennett


Spring Vale Fire Clay Co. Darwen



The Spring Vale Fire Clay Co. Darwen is recorded in Grace’s Guide as being owned by Thomas Knowles Ltd, who were sanitary ware manufacturers producing salt glazed pipes & fittings, cattle & pig troughs, horse mangers, waste water closets, latrines & urinals, patent manholes, patent outlet pipes for gas cookers & Knowles' patent golf sand boxes. The company was acquired by the Hepworth Iron Co. in 1962. Photographed at Corris by Martyn Fretwell.

T P Stableford, Chellaston





Thomas Porter Stableford is listed as brickmaker at Chellaston, Derby in Kelly’s 1881 to 1904 editions. These entries are followed by John Stableford at Chellaston in Kelly’s 1908 to 1916 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Stafford C & I Co. Ltd.

The Stafford Coal & Iron Co. had collieries and brickworks in Stoke-on-Trent in the area close to where the Hem Heath Pit was later developed. The bricks are very common in the Potteries in several slightly differing designs of lettering and pressing. Thanks to David Kitching for the information.

Further information has come from Tim Lawton: The brickworks was in operation from at least 1900 as part of the Great Fenton Collieries & Ironworks complex. The colliery (renamed Stafford Colliery) closed in early 1969, but whether that meant the brickworks ceased production at the same time, I'm not sure. The bricks were certainly of a high quality, and are still very prevalent over North Staffordshire. The actual location of the brickworks is just across the access road to Stoke City's Britannia Stadium. The site has now been heavily redeveloped with nothing remaining to reveal it's previous use.

Dave Evans spotted this one on the foreshore in Flint, North Wales.

A blue example, photo by Alan Murray-Rust.



Photo by Mike Shaw and by courtesy of the Nick Southwick collection



Photo by Mike Gregg.

Stafford Knot device see Sneyd Colliery

Staffordshire Brickworks, Pensnett



The Staffordshire Red & Blue Brick Works, Pensnett, Dudley is listed in Kellys 1900 edition with John E. Perry recorded as proprietor. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Stairfoot


 
Stairfoot is a district of Barnsley, South Yorkshire

Thanks to Stuart for the above photo.

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Found in N. E. Derbyshire by Simon Patterson.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell


Stampley Moss

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Standard

Standard Brickworks, Willenhall Road, Moseley Village, Willenhall. The works was operated by Howard & Davies c.1924, then a name change to the Howard Standard Brickworks Ltd c.1940. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Standard Pelaw

Pelaw is on the Tyne near Newcastle


Stanfield Colliery, Burslem





The Stanfield Colliery Company in Burslem appears as a brick manufacturer in the trade directories from 1872 to 1879. In 1872 the manager is listed as William Heath who was part owner in partnership with a Mr Norris from at least 1869 and later with Samuel and William Tellwright who were from the mid 1870s to become brickmakers in their own right at other locations. At the end of 1874 Heath and Tellwright sold their business and a limited company was formed with big ambitions but probably little yield, indeed it was in liquidation by September 1876. The collieries around Stanfield were badly affected by flooding in the 1880s and all closed as a consequence. Stanfield Colliery appears to have been abandoned in September 1885 and the brickworks is likely to have closed before then. Photos and info by David Kitching and Ken Perkins.
Stanley

Could well be Stanley, County Durham


Stanley

Found near Stanley village, north east of Derby, probably a different works than the Stanley above.  Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Stanley Bros. Stockingford, Nuneaton

Spotted by Simon Patterson on the top of a wall at Egmanton, North Nottinghamshire.



found by Nigel Furniss near Gayton on the old SMJR railway line.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.  Link to brickworks history at bottom of this page

Stanton Colliery, Burton on Trent



Stanton Colliery, Stanton, Swadlincote, Derbys.  From White's Directory of South Derbyshire 1874 :-
J & N Nadin & Co., Coal Masters, Stanton & Newhall Collieries.  Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

Stanton Iron Co.



Stanton Ironworks Co. Ltd., Stanton Brick Works, Derby Road, Ilkeston, Derbys.   Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1932/1936/1941.  Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Stapenhill





Front and back of Simnett/Stapenhill brick, Samuel Simnett, Stapenhill. Burton on Trent from White's Derbyshire Directory 1857.  Photo and info by Frank Lawson.





Front and back of Scasttergood/Stapenhill brick, Robert Scattergood, Stapenhill, Burton on Trent from  White's Derbyshire Directory 1857.  Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

Star (Peterborough)

Found at Easton on the Hill ironstone mine near Stamford, Lincs by Ian. Started as the Dogsthorpe Star Pressed Brick Co. this works then became the Star Brick Co. in 1915 & was owned by the same family which owned the London Brick Co. The works was formally incorporated into LBC in 1923/24. LBC had been started by businessman C.J. Hill in 1889 in Fletton, Peterborough. Info by Martyn fretwell, more history here.


Star (Linthorpe)



George Ball is listed as owner of the Star Brick Works in Linthorpe, Middlesbrough in Bulmer's 1890 edition. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Star image



This brick impressed with a star is most probably made by the Star Brick Works, Humberstone Lane, Thurmaston, Leicester. The company was listed in directories from 1881 to 1916. The brick came from a house built in Syston , the next village, in 1879.  Photo and info by Dennis Gamble.


Starring, Littleborough



Starring Coal & Fireclay Company,Dearnley,Littleborough. The business originated in the 1868 lease of land at Higher Starring Farm by three local businessmen, Ralph Ashwoth, and Isaac Kershaw of Littleborough, and James Byrom Bamford of Todmorden. They set about exploiting the coal and fireclay beneath this land and subsequently leased land at Lower Starring Farm (1871). The leases particularly mention the fireclay beneath the Forty Yards Mine. In 1872 the formed Ralph Ashworth and Co. Ltd. to exploit the fireclay under the leased lands. Company liquidated in 1905 after financial difficulties and business purchased by the Dransfield family who carried on the business as a private company - Ralph Ashworth and Co. By 1909 they were producing for home and overseas markets and trade mark for goods was a five-pointed star inside a ring (good pun on the estate name). The works is said locally to have closed during WWII or soon after.   Photo by Colin Driver and info by David Kitching.

Star of David device - P & S Wood, West Bromwich

Station Brickworks, Ledbury



Photo courtesy of Hereford Museum and Gallery, Herefordshire Museum Service. Martyn Fretwell writes :- George Hill & Sons are listed in Kelly’s 1913 edition as owning the Station Brickworks in Ledbury. Also see George Hill, Ledbury entry.

Staveley

From Chesterfield in Derbyshire, Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photos

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found at Barlow near Chesterfield.

The Staveley Iron & Chemical Co. was formerly a subsidiary of Staveley Coal & Iron Company, being nationalised in 1951. In 1960 the company was sold to Stewarts and Lloyds Ltd for six million pounds and it then merged with the Stanton Iron Works Co. to form Stanton and Staveley.


Steele, Longton



Found on a Staffordshire farm by Cheryl Owen.


R Steele, Stone



Ralph Steele appears in the Kelly's Sirectory between 1880 and 1888 but not 1892. He is listed at Ralph Steele, Field Place, Stone.  Photo by Karen Procter, info by David Kitching.


Steeple House





William Buckley, brickmaker of Steeple Grange, near Wirksworth, Derbys. is recorded in Drake's Trade Directory for 1862 & then in White's Trade Directory for 1870, Mrs Buckley, brickmaker of Steeple Grange.  Steeple House must have been were they lived, which may have been in Middleton.  Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell, Brick - Phil Sparham Collection.


Steetley

Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.



Photo by Mark Cranston.



Steetley Co Ltd., Steetley, Worksop, Notts.   Steetley PLC (Steetley) originated in a company formed in the 1880s to operate a quarry at Steetley near Worksop in Nottinghamshire. In 1885 the quarry traded as The Steetley Lime and Building Stone Company supplying mainly hard-burnt lime. The company expanded to become an international operation with several works across the UK and around the world producing limestone based products including chemicals and refractory bricks. It became part of the Redland Group in 1992. 
This brick could have been produced at any one of several refractory brick works.  Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Stella Coal Company

Coke ovens of the Stella Coal Company and Joseph Cowan existed here in the late 19th century on both the west and east sides of the Tyne. The Stella Coal Company and Joseph Cowen also had a staith here, as did the Consett Iron Company.  A guano works and a bone mill once flourished here too. A row of houses with the Skiff Inn at one end once existed at Derwenthaugh, and famed oarsman (and boatbuilder) Harry Clasper once lived and worked here.  Thanks to George for the photo and history.


Stenson Collieries near Whitwick



 In the 1820’s William Stenson sank a pit on farm land just off Long Lane in the parish of Whitwick, Leics. and it was named Whitwick Colliery. With the expansion of coal mining and other industries around the pit, modern day Coalville was born. William passed away in 1861, so this brick will have been made before that date. See Whitwick Colliery and NCB Whitwick entries for bricks produced after Stenson at this works.   Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Stephens, Fenton



Found near Oakamoor by Frank Lawson

Stephenson - see also N.C.B. Stephenson

Photos by Mark Cranston.  Frank Lawson adds:  Stephenson - (Throckley Coal Co. Throckley, Northumberland).
"Throckley Brick and Tile Works. Mr W Stephenson had established a brick and tileworks near the Maria coal pit by 1849, making firebricks, common bricks, quarls, field drainage tiles and soles. Early handmade firebricks were marked “W.S.& Sons, Throckley”, or “Stephenson, Newcastle”. In the 1920s a new grinding plant was installed and two new brick machine presses. The brickyard eventually had 34 Newcastle-type kilns. In 1951, these kilns were replaced by a 20-chamber Staffordshire transverse-arch kiln, and produced six million bricks per year. A tunnel kiln was built in 1965 and the works modernised by the Northern Brick Company. The Throckley yard is the only survivor of a group of 26 brickworks that were owned by the National Coal Board in 1947. In 1973, Gibbons (Dudley) Ltd took over the remaining nine brickworks and by 1977 only Throckley and Cramlington were still working."


John Stevens





Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.



John Stevens is listed at the Hurst Firebrick Works, Woodside, Dudley in Kelly’s 1936 & 40 editions. There is a mining listing for Stevens Hurst fireclay mine in 1945 employing 14 below and 6 above. The fireclay works and mine were both on Pedmore Road next to the junction with Peartree Lane. The fireclay works was demolished in 1970. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Stewart, Denby





Hugh Stewart is recorded as being in partnership with James Greenfield, owning the Denby Brick, Tile & Terra Cotta Works, Denby from 1869 to 1874. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

J L Stinson



 Joseph Lee Stinson is recorded at Brockmoor, Brierley Hill in Kelly’s 1864 to 1872.  Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Stinson & Cross, Stourbridge



No Info - Photo by Keith Hodgkins.

Stobart

Kenneth Bowen writes that Stobart was a wealthy landowner and pit owner in Etherley, County Durham.


James Stocks, Sharlston



Found by Frank Lawson at Kirkthorpe near Normanton. J S S  is likely to be James Stocks, Sharlston. Listed in Kelly West Riding, 1873 to 1897. It is possible that the works was on Sharlston Common, where the current fishing lake was probably a former clay pit. Image PRBCO.

Stone



Found on a Staffordshire farm by Cheryl Owen.

Stone Trough Colliery Co.



The Stone Trough Colliery east of Mow Cop in Kidsgrove, Stoke-on-Trent was leased by Robert Williamson in 1832 and the Williamson Family continued to work this and the adjacent Towerhill Colliery until the mid 1880s by which time they were trading as the Stone Trough Colliery Company. They established a brickworks just to the north of the Towerhill Colliery and it was connected to their private tramroad which connected through the hill down to the Macclesfield Canal at Scholar Green. The colliery lease expired in 1882 but the Williamsons continued to work coal there until their bankruptcy, along with the associated Goldendale Iron Company, in 1886 after which the brickwork and pits were closed.  Photo and info by David Kitching and Ken Perkins.


Stonefall

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Derek Barker is certain it was made in Harrogate, North Yorkshire. In the late 19th century the names of James Richardson, and then James Lomas, were associated with Stonefall Brickworks, Wetherby Road. In the first three decades of the 20th century the brickworks formed part of the Harrogate Red Brick Company. Finally, in the period 1938-1965, it was subsumed within the Allied Brick & Tile Company (1938-65) whose brickmarks of [ALLIED] and [AB&T LTD] are already on this website.



Photo by Frank Lawson.





Photos taken in Harrogate by David Gamble.

Stonehouse

Both sides of a Stonehouse brick, photographed in Sharpness, Gloucestershire.




Photo by Ray Martin.

Stonemarket



A modern concrete wall brick made by Stonemarket at Ryton on Dunsmore, Warwickshire.  Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Stoney Lane



I have a reference to the brickworks at Stoney Lane, West Bromwich being there in the 1930’s, 40’s and possibly in the early 1950’s. Info & photo by Martyn Fretwell from the Phil Sparham Collection.

Stourbridge Glazed Brick



Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.



Photos by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.

This firebrick was found near Caerphilly, photo by Richard Paterson. 

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Alan Murray-Rust, found on a farm near Keyworth.





S G B, Dudley. Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.

STOURBRIDGE FIRE-CLAY has a world-wide reputation, and its importance in the manufacture of fire-bricks, glasshouse pots, and for a variety of other-purposes in connection with the Industrial Arts need not be enlarged upon.  Its chief value consists in its refractory character, which enables it to resist the highest temperatures without melting.  Thanks to Darren Haywood for the contribution.

Stourbridge Red & White Glazed bricks - Stourbridge Glazed Brick & Fire Clay Co. Ltd. - Info by Martyn Fretwell:
 In 1892, Thomas Clulee sold the Thornleigh Fire Brick Works and Colliery at Blowers Green to the newly formed Stourbridge Glazed Brick and Fire Clay Co. Ltd. which was owned by Fred Clark, his son, F.E. Clark & Thomas J. Hill. This new Company is listed in Kelly’s 1896 to 1932 editions at the Thornleigh Works, Holly Hall near Dudley. The Clark family purchased another brick yard in Moor Lane, Brierley Hill & this was one of the last yards to be built in the Black Country. In 1903 the company owned 40 kilns producing glazed bricks, glazed wall tiles, glazed patent partition bricks & sanitary ware, employing 350 workers. In 1935 the company was sold to S.G.B. (Dudley) Ltd. & is recorded at Blower’s Green, Dudley in Kelly’s 1936 & 40 editions. During the early 1960's, S.G.B. (Dudley) Ltd, in its turn became a subsidiary of Thornleigh Building Industries Ltd. which was then in 1966, taken over by a company called Five Oaks. This new company only lasted two years & went into voluntary liquidation, closing in 1968. So this ended 150 years of fireclay production at the Thornleigh Works.


Stourbridge P.H.

Michael Raybould found this one in Barmouth.  The PH could stand for Peares Howson?


Straker & Love

A County Durham brick


Strakers


Straw

Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.  Martyn Fretwell writes: Walter Straw, brick & earthenware manufacturer of Mansfield Road, Forest Side, Sutton in Ashfield is recorded in White's Directory 1888.


Stubbs



Found in Middlesbrough town centre during demolition in 1982 by a delighted Ian Stubbs.

Sturbridge, Cambridge



 It is thought that this brick is Sturbridge Brick Works, Newmarket Road, Cambridge, owned by William Saint. Kelly’s 1916 edition also records William Saint’s home address of St. Barnabas Road, Cambridge. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Barry Wilson rescued this one from the bed of the River Cam in Cambridge.


Next page: English bricks page 20b - Su to Sw
Return to the England index page