"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

English bricks page 20b - Su to Sw


Sudbury, Suffolk



The Sudbury Brick Co. are listed in Kellys 1912, 16 & 25 editions at Waldfield Road, Sudbury; office, Acton Square, Sudbury. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Summer Lane, Barnsley

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Summerseat



Summerseat near Bury, photo by Colin Driver.

Summit

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  The Summit works was near Littleborough in Lancashire.





Photos by courtesy of Colin Driver.

Sumner Jnr, Crawley

This was made at the Ifield Brickworks in 1880, the image is in black and white, thanks to Richard Symonds.


SUN

  Photographed at Beamish Museum.


Sunset

Photographed at Beamish Museum. Sunset Brick & Tile Co., Cowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne.  Founded 1921 by W Cochrane-Carr. Shale was extracted from a nearby quarry using explosives until 1953, when a mechanical excavator and drag line were introduced. By 1967 the neighbouring quarry was exhausted of shale and, with no nearby economic supply, the works closed. Info by courtesy of Frank Lawson.


Sussex Brick Co. (Sussex Hand Made)

Photos by Martyn Fretwell.  Sussex Hand Made Brick Company at Hastings, has produced hand made bricks since 1896 and still uses the Wadhurst Clay found at the rear of their works.


Sussex Brick & Estates

Richard Symonds came across these near Southwater in West Sussex and has done some research on their history.

“Peter Peters, of the firm of Horsham Builders which was responsible for the initial development of the Keymer Brick & Tile Co, sold out in 1899 and the new owner, a London builder, formed a company, The Sussex Brick Co. Ltd (not to be confused with the Hastings firm of the same name). and installed a new plant and buildings, intending to exploit the lower measures of the Weald Clay to make pressed bricks using the ‘stiff plastic’ process. two new coal-fired continuous kilns of the Hoffmann type were built, the coal being brought in by rail from Nottingham. Behind the kilns was a line of presses, fed with clay from a parallel line of grinding mills. The clay, at this stage, was still dug manually and delivered to the grinders in trolleys, propelled by an overhead continuous chain drive. However, the company soon ran into trouble. Initial problems, which led to uneven output and rising costs, were compounded by the recession in the industry, and in 1903 a new manager was appointed, fresh capital was injected and the Sussex Brick & Estates Co Ltd formed.

The new company bought a third continuous kiln into use and increased the output of pressed bricks to 12 million annually. In addition, 8 million bricks a year were being turned out by the two seasonal yards which were still in operation, using the top six feet of clay which was unsuitable for the production of pressed bricks. All this was running counter to the general trend in the county, which was one of decline, and may have been attributable, in part, to the company’s superior marketing technique as well as some imaginative use of public relations to advertise is wares. In 1912 a steam excavator was brought into use in the claypit at Warnham and was made the occasion for celebrations, which were reported in the Sussex Daily News on 8th Feb.: “... a leading Sussex industry is that of brickmaking, for on large and small scales, it is to be met with wherever one cares to travel. At Warnham, modern methods can be seen at work to the fullest extent. There the Sussex Brick and Estates Company Ltd., who have also another works at Southwater, show the latest thing in brickmaking, for speed of output, combined, of course, with quality....”.

The above data was extracted from the publication “Brickmaking in Sussex” ISBN 1 873 793 197 (1993), by M. Beswick.


Sutcliffe



Bricks marked SUTCLIFFE are regularly seen around Shipley, West Yorkshire. It would appear that Thomas Sutcliffe worked the Wrose Brow site at Windhill, Shipley c.1891 - 1912. Image PRBCO.

Sutton, Overseal



Photo by Mike Shaw.

Swain



There was a Thomas Swain at Bentley Street,off Whitworth Road,Rochdale (Later the site of the Rochdale Brick Co.Ltd.) listed in Worrall's 1885 Directory.Trouble is there is also listed a William Swain with a brickworks at Howarth Cross,Halifax Road,Smallbridge.  This brick was found almost equidistant from both in Rochdale,so it's anyone's guess.  Photo and info by Colin Driver.

Swan Bank, Halifax later Halifax Brick Co.

In 1864 the Swan Bank Brick and Coal Company was formed in Halifax, West Yorkshire. By 1873 the company made an agreement to take 24 acres of both hard bed and soft bed coal under Marsh Farm but by 1875 the mine had closed. The Swan Bank Brick and Coal Company continued to make bricks at Bailey Hall Road, where they quarried shale. Halifax Brick Co was an association formed by: Morton's of Siddal, Swan Bank, Oates & Green, and Charlestown Bricks in the late 19th century.  Photo and information by Derek Barker.

Found by Roger Grimshaw in Hebden Bridge.  


Swann



Found in Riccall, North Yorks by Ian Prest.

Swann Radcliffe & Co.



Swann Radcliffe & Co. are listed at Brassington, Wirksworth Derbys. in the Fire Brick Manufacturers section of these Kelly’s directories, 1912, 25, 32, & 41 editions. A Brassington website records that in 1962 the company employed 16 men & closed in 1971. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.  Photo by courtesy of Newark & Sherwood Museum Services.

Swanton Novers





Found in Swanton Novers, Norfolk these EHEL & HEL stamped bricks are thought to have been made at the Swanton Novers Brickyard near Melton Constable. This brickworks was owned by Lord Hastings of Melton Constable Hall & is shown on OS maps from 1885 to 1950. Info & Photos by Martyn Fretwell.

Swallownest

The Swalllownest Brick Co was situated at Swallownest to the east of Sheffield. Info by David Kitching.

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Swan Brothers & Bourne



Swan Brothers & Bourne, West Cliffe Brickworks, Burton Road, Lincoln are listed in these trade directories, Kelly’s 1876, White’s1882, Kelly’s 1885 & 1889 editions. This works was amalgamated into the Lincoln Brick Co. in 1889. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Swanage



From an article by the British Brick Society, the Swanage Brick & Tile Co. at  Godlingston first fired up their new rectangular downdraft kiln in June 1983, replacing an earlier downdraft kiln built c1935. Today Ibstock still operates this works north of Swanage making bespoke hand made bricks. Also found that this brickworks is recorded as the Godlingston Brick & Tile Works on a 1900 O.S. map. Info & Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Swanbanks, Halifax



Swan Banks Coal & Brick Co., Swan Bank, Bailey Hall Road, Halifax.   White's West Riding Directory 1881.  The Company was formed in 1866 and owned a quarry and brickworks at Bailey Hall Rd as well as Swan Bank Colliery. The Rawson Family owned the coalmine from the 1820s and developed the site between the Halifax canal and the upland Marsh area of Southowram.   Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Sweeney, Oswestry



This mirror image brick was found at Brynteg, near Wrexham.  Image PRBCO.



Photo by Richard Paterson







All three discovered at the Cambrian Railway Society's Weston Wharf site Oswestry by Mike Shaw.  This was where the tramway from Sweeney's brickworks reached the main line.

Swindell & Collis, Birmingham



Swindell & Collis are recorded as coal masters, brick & tile manufacturers at Granville & Gorsty Hill Collieries, Old Hill, Cradley Heath in Jones’s Mercantile Directory for 1865. They are recorded again in Kelly’s 1891 edition at Granville Colliery. Info & Phototographed at Cawarden Reclamation by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.

Symons & Heal, Gloster



Martin Blackburn dug this ancient one up near the old goods yard next to Gloucester station.

Next page: English bricks, page 21, Letters T to V
Return to the England index page