"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

English bricks page 4 - Letter: B


Ba to Be: below        Bi to Bo        Br to By


B: Belgrave Brick Co.

B B: see Bovingdon Brick

B B: see also Barnett & Beddows

B B C: see Bursledon Brick Co.

B B C Co: see Black Boy Coal Company

B B Co Bulwell: see Bulwell Brick Co.

B. B. C. W: see Burham Brick & Cement Works

B B & T Co: see Birchenwood Brick & Tile Co.

B B & T Co Lim: see Bradford Brick & Tile

B C & Bd C: see Bradford Colliery, Manchester

B C: see Bridgewater Collieries

B. C./B. C. C. (Derbyshire area): see Bolsover Colliery

B. C. I. Coy: see Bestwood Coal & Iron

B D S Co.: see Builders Direct Supply Co

B H B: see Bentley Hall Brickworks

B H S: see Berry Hill

B & L: see Bolton & Laughton

B M C: see Building Materials Co.

B M S S: see Building Material Supply Stores

B & N W B co: see Birchills

B P B: see Blockleys

B S T & L: see Bingley Sanitary Tube & Lime Co.

B & T: see Balmforth & Tottey

B & V: see Bolckow Vaughan & Co.

B V B G: see Bolckow, Vaughan & Co.

B V N: see Bolckow, Vaughan & Co.

B W B: see Bolton Woods Brickworks

B. W. & S: see Benjamin Wooley & sons

B W S: see Whitaker, Leeds

H B: see Henry Bonsor or Hilary Bradley

J B & Co: see John Brown, Rotherham

J & C B: see J & C Boyle

J & W B: see J & William Buxton

T B Derby: see Thomas Bennett, Derby

W B: William Booth


B. B. B.

Found in Darley Bridge, Derbyshire by Simon Patterson.  Frank Lawson thinks this was almost certainly from the Bull Bridge Brick Co near Ambergate in Derbyshire, all the B B B bricks he has found have been in Derbyshire.


B. B. B. W. A.

Several of these bricks were found on the Wm Sutcliffe, Armley, Leeds site.  Found in Armley one would presume B B Brick Works, Armley.  There is an area of Armley called Botany Bay near the Leeds & Liverpool canal so a possible site of manufacture although I can find no such works listed in trade directories.  Info and image PRBCO.


B. C.

Found in Suffolk by Simon Patterson.


B C M Bentley





British Clay/Ceramic Manufacturers - Bentley, Bradwell Wood Tileries, Tunstall, SOT. traded between 1930ís & 1966. Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.



Hand made, photo by Martyn Fretwell.


B C M Etruscan

Photo and information by David Kitching.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.  Martyn adds: these were trade names for George Woolliscroft & Son. He produced blue bricks from 1868. A full history of his company can be read here:
http://www.thepotteries.org/potworks_wk/146.htm


B C M Hartshill - see Hartshill

B C M Heather



Photo by Mike Chapman.


B.G & S, Worksop

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo


Babbington

Photo by Simon Patterson.  Made at Babbington Colliery, Cinderhill , Nottingham.  Colliery history here.

Found in Teversal, Notts by Martyn Fretwell


Backworth


Thanks to Maurice Atherton for the photo.  Some info by Arthur Brickman: The actual Backworth Brickworks was established in 1937 adjacent to the Blue Bell Pit in Shiremoor, its products originally being marked as such, but once it was realised that the 'Blue Bell' name had already in used by a Scottish manufacturer, the 'Backworth' name was adopted, the site being part of the Backworth Collieries 'F' Pit, which when nationalised became 'N.C.B Backworth', finally closing in 1965.


Baggaley Huddlesford

Charles Edward Baggaley is listed as a brickmaker in the trade directory for 1876 but not 1872 or 1880. The most likely location for the works is the Griffinfield Brick Yard by Cheadle's Bridge on Coventry Canal. This appears on the 1884 OS map and had three rectangular kilns.  Photo and information by David Kitching.


Baggeridge

Martyn Fretwell writes: Sedgley, Dudley, 1944 to present. I think it's not modern, as it was found with other old bricks, possibly from the 60's.  Found in a garden in Hucknall.



Photo by Ray Martin



Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.



This brick came from an old occupational bridge over the Blisworth to Northampton railway ( now derelict), found by Nigel Furniss.. This bridge served as a footpath from Furnace cottages to a tramway on the other side of the railway, canal and river Nene, where ironstone was mined. The railway was part of the Northampton to Peterborough line, built in 1845. This brick is from the bridge parapet so it must have been rebuilt at some stage in it's life.

Nigel Furniss adds: The brickworks at Sedgley were once part of The Earl of Dudley's Baggeridge colliery, producing bricks as a by-product of the mine from 1936.  The bricks were made from colliery shale and local Etruria Marl clay from a nearby quarry, and was so successful that it was made a separate company in 1944. The company concentrated on producing bricks for the rebuilding program after the 2nd World War.  The company was taken over by Austrian firm Weinerberger in 2008, but since 2011 has been derelict and there are plans to demolish the works.

Bagnall

Found at Walton near Wakefield and made by G & H Bagnall, Greenhill Road, Wakefield.  List in Kelly 1912, info and image PRBCO.


Bagworth



The Bagworth Brick Co. Ltd. is listed in Kellyís Leicestershire Directory from 1908 to 1916 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Bailey, Horsley

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.



Front and back of a Bailey brick.  Thomas Bailey is listed in Kellyís Directory's from 1881 to itís 1908 editions at Horsley, Derby. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.



Baker



Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.

Bakewell

A Bakewell brick, made in Derbyshire.  Photo by Darren Haywood


Balby

Balby is a district of Doncaster, South Yorkshire.  This brick has an unusual style of
name stamping, which may have been applied by hand.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Baldwin

Made at the H. J. Baldwin Brickworks in Bunny, Nottinghamshire, thanks to Alan Murray-Rust for the photo and Geoff Hollis for the information.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Thanks to Alan Murray-Rust for the photo.

Found in Mansfield by Martyn Fretwell.



This cable cover was found in the Ardeer/ICI Bogside site in Irvine, North Ayrshire by D Babbington



Found by Andy Keasley whilst renovating a 1930s house in Staffordshire.

C Ballam, Creekmoor



Charles Ballam is listed as brickmaker in Creekmoor, Poole in Kellyís 1895, 1911 & 1915 editions with him also owning a second works at Upton, Corfe Mullen, Poole. Info & Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.
Ballard, Ledbury and Colwall

 Martyn Fretwell writes. Robert Ballard was brickmaking in New Street, Ledbury from the 1840ís to around 1867, producing bricks from clay which had been brought to the yard via the Hereford & Gloucester Canal from Burtonís Farm which was situated north-west of Ledbury. Robert was also a builder, contractor & brick & tile merchant. It was his nephew Fredrick Ballard who was brickmaking at Colwall from 1890 to 1910 & Fredrick had learnt his trade at Hambletís in West Bromwich before moving to Colwall.



  Photographed at Butcher Row House Museum in Ledbury by Richard Paterson.



Photo courtesy of Hereford Museum and Gallery, Herefordshire Museum Service. Martyn Fretwell writes :- Fredrick Ballard was the brickmaker at the Colwall brickworks between 1890 & 1910 & more can be read at this Link.

Balm, Denholme

S Balm & Sons, Denholme, West Yorkshire. Denholme lies on the Keighley - Halifax Road. 
Date of operation c1875. Image PRBCO.


Balmforth & Tottey



Found at Old Snydale near Featherstone, West Yorkshire. This crude mid-19th century building brick was probably made by Bamforth & Totty at Greenhill, Eastmoor, Wakefield. Listed in Kelly, West Riding, 1867. Image PRBCO. 
J Barber





White's History and gazatteer of 1856 mentions a John barber at Stanley and his occupation as a brick maker, it can therefore be assumed that he owned the brickyard and also the land where the pit was later dug.  Photo coutesy of Derby Museums.  Info by Frank Lawson.

Miles Barber



Miles Barber is listed in Kellyís 1864 to 1881 editions as brickmaker in Barlborough, Derbyshire. Miles was also a builder & he built the 42 houses that once stood on Barbers Row, Low Common, Barlborough. Photo & Info by Tony Bak.  More info here.



White's Derbyshire Directory 1857: - Barber Miles, contractor and builder, fire brick and tile maker, and colliery owner.   Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1864: - M Barber, Barlborough, Chesterfield. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Bardill & Son





Bardill & Sons, Horsley, Derbyshire.  Photo courtesy of Derby Museums.
Bardill & Bailey





Bardill & Bailey, Horsley, Derbyshire.  Photo courtesy of Derby Museums.

Barker, Ingleton

Brickworks operated c1895 - 1905 and listed as James Barker, Ingleton Fireclay Works in Kelly 1897 and Robinson 1904. 'Barker also built brick kilns in Great Milner Field above Dolands and produced bricks with BARKER / INGLETON inscribed in the frog'.  Source: Bentley, Bond & Gill, Ingleton Coalfield, 2005, Northern Mine Research Society. Ingleton, North Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.


Barlboro

Barlborough is a village near Chesterfield in Derbyshire.  The Barlboro brick was made at Hazel Colliery and brickyard formerly Cottam No.2 or Cottam new pit. The colliery and brickyard was reopened in 1909 by a consortium of local business men and closed for coal production in 1914 but produced bricks until 1917 as Barlborough Brick Co. Ltd. Photo and information by Simon Patterson.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell, Cottom should be spelt Cottam

Barlow

Derek Barker writes:  It appears that there were four 19th century Northamptonshire brick-makers called Barlow. Two brothers, Frederick & Charles Barlow, owned a brick field in Burton Latimer in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Frederick Barlow also owned a brickworks at Rothwell to say nothing of steam joinery works, lime-kilns at Rushton and a monumental masons workshop and branch office in Horsemarket, Kettering. His brother, Charles Barlow, evidently became involved with Burton Latimer's business and civic development. He seems to have owned and exploited iron stone in the area and also to have owned several shops.

The brothers probably made the illustrated brick but there were also Edward Barlow, brick & tile maker of Stamford Road, Kettering and another Charles Barlow, brick-maker of Scaldwell. He is present in the censuses for Scaldwell from 1861-1891 as a brick & tile maker, and must have been born in 1834. Thanks are due to Angela for the image; we should both welcome more information.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell, courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection.

Barlow Faija

Nathan Barlow was operating a brickworks at Portland Street in Hanley in 1879 and this brick probably came from this works when he was operating in partnership with Henry Faija in the late 1860s/early 1870s. Henry Faija was an engineer who came from  Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1868 and became managing partner at the Railway Foundry Company,  Stoke-on-Trent. During this period he was engaged in constucting bridges and other works for the North Staffordshire and Market Drayton Railways. I wonder whether the demand for bricks to construct these railways led Faija to go into the brick manufacturing industry with Barlow. He removed to London in 1871 where he set up as an engineer on his own account. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Barlow, Hanley

Nathan Barlow was operating from Portland Street in Hanley between 1879 and 1887 but does not appear in trade directories for 1875 or 1896. In 1889 he is listed as Nathan Barlow, Boothen Brick and Marl Company, Cobridge. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Barlow, Wednesbury



Found in Rugeley, Staffs.  Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Barnett & Beddows, Walsall



Found in Coalbrookedale, the Staffordshire Knot is stamped between the letters.



These commemoration bricks were made for the royal wedding, apparently 1,000 were sold in the first week!

Barnsley Metallic

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Simon Patterson

Found near Penistone by Frank Lawson.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell

Barony, Haydon Bridge



 Made by the Langley Barony Fire Clay Co.  The Langley Brickworks, south-east of Haydon Bridge in the Tyne Valley, currently lies derelict awaiting re-development as a Holiday Village, the intention being to 'integrate' the industrial history of the site, into what is a designated Area of Natural Beauty (AONB), close to the world-famous Hadrian's Wall.  In production from c.1886 to 1953 and initially using fireclay from the nearby Stublick Colliery, the company made high-quality glazed sanitary ware trademarked 'Baronite', and both Fireclay and Red Shale Bricks, (in later years importing their clay from both Wylam and Throckley), as in this example found on the Cambois foreshore by the mouth of  the River Wansbeck near Blyth.  Photo and information by Arthur Brickman.

Barrass

 


Barrow - Furness

Made in Barrow in Furness and found in Moffat, Dumfrieshire by Peter Robinson.



Found in Barrow by Richard Cornish.

F W Barrows, Great Bridge, Tipton



Photo by Alwyn Sparrow.

Basford see entry for T Williams`


Basford, Burslem

George Basford is first listed in 1864 as a manufacturer of blue and red floor tiles at Ellgreave Street. Basford Brothers brickworks is listed at Dale Hall, Burslem in 1868-70 and in 1873-79 as owned by James Powell Basford. The brickworks was on the south side of Ellgreave Street with a small clay pit by the road and one round kiln. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Basin Co., Stoke

The Basin Brick and Tile Co works was in Whieldon Rd, Fenton. It is listed in the 1896 Kelly's trade directory and as a limited company in 1904. It does not appear in the 1912 edition. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Batchelar & Fenton, Brockham

Photo and info by Richard Symonds. The Batcheler & Kenton website can be found at http://www.brockhamhistory.org/business-and-industry/lime-works/ and more can be found at http://www.derelictmisc.org.uk/bhl.htm


Battersea

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Baxenden Accrington

Found on the seashore in Crosby, Merseyside.  David Kitching writes:  The Baxenden brickworks was situated just south of Baxenden Station and appears to have had a short life. It opened after 1893 and was already disused in 1911.


Bayliss



Frank & William Bayliss are listed at Speedwell Road, Hay Mills, Yardley, Birmingham in Kellyís 1915 edition. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Chas. Bayes, Kettering



Charles Bayes is listed in Kellys 1890 edition at Rothwell Road, Kettering. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.


Baylies, Tamworth

Thanks to Christopher Dixon.


Beacon Hill, Dorset



Recorded as the Beacon Hill Brick Co. in 1937, this works had been started by Charles Ballam in the 1890ís & Charles is listed in Kellyís 1895, 1911 & 1915 editions at Upton, Corfe Mullen, Poole. He also owned a second works at Creekmoor. In the 1950ís when production at Beacon Hill Brickworks was at itís peak they produced good quality hand moulded bricks from the white Beacon Hill clay using a continuous Kiln with the company employing 50 men on a 12 hour shift. The works was still owned by the Ballam family when it closed around 1980 with David Ballam running the company. Info & Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Beacon Hill Brick Co. (Newark)



The Beacon Hill Brick Co. are listed in Kellyís 1904 & 08 editions at Beacon Hill, Newark. Photo & Info by Mike Chapman.

Beardsley & Son

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, from a works in Ilkeston, Derbyshire.  Martyn Fretwell adds:  Beardsley & Son produced bricks in Cotmanhay, Derbyshire, in 1887.


Beardsley & Pounder

A report from the London Gazette 1892, states that Solomon Beardsley and William Pounder, brickmakers of Ilkeston, are dissolving their company by mutual consent from the 29th day of January, 1892. All debts due to and owing by the said late firm will be received and paid by the said Solomon Beardsley.óDated this 29th day of January 1892. Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire. Info & photo by Martyn Fretwell. Martyn adds; Solomon Beardsley, St Mary Street, Ilkeston is recorded in Kelly's for 1888.



A problem with the spelling on this one!  Photo by Martyn Fretwell, courtesy of Erewash Museum, Ilkeston.

Bearpark

A Bearpark, Co. Durham brick spotted at the site of Eden Colliery by Andrew Gardner.


Beaty, Kingstown & Thursby



Made near Carlisle, photo and info by Peter Hughes.





Also known as East Curthwaite. Originally opened by Robert Lucock in 1831. It was managed by a variety of his relatives both before and after his death in 1854. It eventually closed in 1879. It re-opened in 1882 by Mr. Beaty, who ran the works until 1888 when they closed and he moved to the Kingstown Brick Works.  Photos and info by Solway Past.

Beddow, Walsall Wood



Photo by Frank Lawson courtesy of the PRBCO collection. Martyn Fretwell writes :- William & John Beddow are listed in Kellyís 1860 to 1876 editions at Aldridge, Walsall. The 1880 listing is then John Beddow with & Sons being added in 1896 & this entry continues until 1940. The Barnfield Works & Northywood Works are listed from the 1892 edition & the Victoria Brick & Tile Works are added from the 1896 edition. The works entry from 1916 to 1940 editions is just Aldridge, Walsall.
Bede



Made at the Bede Brick and Pipe Works, Hebburn, Tyneside.  Found at Eshott, Northumbria. Photo by Mark Cranston.

Beeley



Beeley Bros, Sutton in Ashfield.  Brothers Samuel Hibbert Beeley & Fredrick William Beeley (the company was established in 1743) are recorded as builders & contractors, also farmers at High Pavement, Sutton in Ashfield in Wright's Directory for 1899. The company being recorded up to 1941 in White's Directory. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Beighton



Rather a battered example of a Beighton brick.  Made at Beighton near Sheffield, photo by Frank Lawson.

Belgrave



Made in Leicester, photo by Peter Harris.



This brick came from a factory where one of the main bricks used was Belgrave Brick Co., Barkby Road, Leicester.  Photo and info by Dennis Gamble.

Bell



Found in Middlesbrough by Simon Hunter

Belle View, Linthorpe



Photo by courtesy of the Ian Stubbs collection. 

Belper

Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell.


Belvoir

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Martyn Fretwell writes :- Belvoir bricks were made by the Vale of Belvoir & Newark Plaster Co. in Orston. Notts. and the works is listed in the brick makers section of Kellyís Notts 1904 edition as the Belvoir & Newark Plaster Co. at Orston sidings, G. N. Rly. & Lowfield sidings, G. N. Rly. Newark (2nd works). Started in 1864 the company only made bricks during the summer months at this date as their core activities were producing plaster & gypsum. Up to 1873 Hardy & Co had been share holders in the company, but after this date Hardy & Co. purchased the company & continued to trade under the same name until the Orston works closed in 1928. I expect that many of the Belvoir bricks which have been found were made when this works was under the control of Hardy & Co.


Benjamin Woolley & sons

Not to be confused with the later B W S, company listed 1839 to 1878 at various locations to the south and west of Leeds.  Info and image PRBCO.


Bennett (Suffolk)



Martyn Fretwell writes: I have found two Bennett brickmakers for this Suffolk made brick. Thomas Bennett is listed at Layham, Ipswich in Kellys 1869 to 1888 editions, then Whites 1892 records Thomas Bennett, exors of, while Kellys 1892 edition lists Mrs. Bennett as owner of the Layham works. The second option is Fred Bennett & he is first listed at Wherstead, Ipswich in Kellys 1900 edition then at the Long Street Brickworks, Ipswich in Kellys 1912 edition. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

J Bennett, Basford



Joseph Bennett, brickmaker, Brick Kiln Lane, Basford, Stoke is listed in Kelly’s T. D. from it’s 1860 edition to the 1892 edition. Then in the 1896 to 1908 editions, the listing is for Bennett & Son, Basford. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Richard Bennett, Derby

Bennetts seem to have had two brickworks sites, one on Uttoxeter Road in Derby and one at Spondon,  photos by Ian Castledine.  Martyn Fretwell adds: Richard Bennett of Slack Lane, Derby is recorded in White's Directory for 1891, 1899 & 1912. The backs of Bennett bricks are shown below:

Thanks to Ian Castledine for the photo.

Photo by A.K.A. Demik.





Photos by Martyn Fretwell

Richard Bennett, Kings Newton, Melbourne





Front and back of R Bennett, Melbourne.







In 1879 the Nottingham Patent Brick Co. first used machinery made by Richard Bennett of Derby, who was formerly a brickmaker at Melbourne, Derbys. to produce wirecut bricks.  Info & Photos by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Peter Harris.

Thomas Bennett, Derby





Thomas Bennett is listed in Kellyís 1881 edition at Parcel Fields, Slack Lane, Derby. Then in the 1887 edition at Sinfin Lane, Sinfin, Derby. With this brick having California on itís reverse, I think that this Bennett is the same one as the brick stamped Bennett, Holmes & Kay, who are recorded in Kellyís 1876 edition at the California Brick Works, Stockbrook Street, Derby. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Bennett, Holmes & Kay

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik


Bennett & Leese



 I have found in the London Gazette, 22nd September 1885 edition. That Thomas Bennett, deceased 8/10/1871 was a brickmaker in the city of Derby. In this account for any claims against his estate, there is mention of a Henry Leese also deceased. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.  Some of these have King's Newton stamped on the reverse.



Red & blue brick works, Derby.  Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Benson, Fourstones



Benson, Fourstones: A casual find from the site of the Fourstones Lime Kilns, once operated by William Benson, together with Fourstones Colliery and the Quarries to the north of the village, the Brickworks appears to have been a short-lived concern, having disappeared from the Ordnance Survey by 1898, although the location is marked on current maps as 'Tilesheds' Woods. However, the Benson family did later have other Colliery and Brickmaking interests at Scotswood in Newcastle upon Tyne, but the record would suggest that the 'Benson' brand was not used.  Photo and information by Arthur Brickman.



Found by Vladimir in Kaliningrad, Russia.
A. Benson, Salford



The brick was found within the foundations of a late 19th-century rubber works on Greengate in Salford. Alfred Benson appears to have commenced business as a manufacturer of sanitary wares, firebricks, refractory tiles and chimney tops on Bloom Street in Salford in the mid-1890s, and is referenced as such in a trade directory for 1895. Benson & Co is listed in a directory for 1903, again as firebrick manufacturers, but had moved premises to Regent Road in Salford by that date. However, the firm appears to have ceased trading shortly afterwards, as it is not listed in a directory for 1911. Photo and info by Ian Miller.


Bentinck

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Martyn Fretwell writes: Records show that bricks were produced at Bentinck Colliery, Kirkby in Ashfield, in 1933 and again in 1940. The Colliery was owned by the New Hucknall Colliery Company at Huthwaite Hucknall near Mansfield. ( not to be confused with Hucknall Torkard near Nottingham ) where the company only had a pit. The village is now just known as Huthwaite, Sutton in Ashfield. The Company also produced bricks at Welbeck Colliery, Meden Vale, near Warsop, Notts.  A Mr. Fenwick is recorded as chairman of the Company until the nationalisation of the coal industry in 1947.  Also see entry for NCB Welbeck. 


W Bentley





William M Bentley, Heyhead brickworks, Edgworth, near Blackburn. Photos by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.


Bentley Hall, Walsall

The Bentley Hall Brick Company Ltd. was founded in 1933. The 80 acre site had previously been extensively mined and much of the material used came from the spoil heaps. The 1938 OS map shows the Hoffman continuous kiln capable of burning over 200,000 bricks a week and 3 rectangular kilns on the site.  Photo and information by David Kitching.



Photo by William Whitehead



Photo by Ray Martin, who adds:  The bricks were pressed from surface shale from mine waste and fired in a continuous Hoffman kiln.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.

Bern-ard: see Wilkinson, Burslem and Longport

R Berry, Bury



Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.

Berry Hill

Berry Hill Brickworks, Kingsley, Stoke-on-Trent, photo by Simon Patterson.



Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection



Spotted on the beach at Crosby, Merseyside



John Slater owned the Berry Hill collieries and brickworks having purchased them in 1914. In 1918 he set up John Slater Ltd to operate Berry Hill and New Haden (Cheadle) Collieries. Photo and info by David Kitching.



Photographed at Gladstone Pottery, Stoke by Martyn Fretwell.



Found by Tim Lawton in Newcastle-under-Lyme on the old Jubilee Baths site after demolition.  A product of Berry Hill Collieries Ltd in the 1930's.  Additional info by David Kitching.

William Bartholomew Best



William Bartholomew Best is listed in Kellyís Trade Directories at the Cross-Oí-Cliffe Brick & Tile Works, Bracebridge, Lincoln in itís 1872 to 1889 editions. After 1889 this works became part of the Lincoln Brick Co.  Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell.

Bestwood Coal & Iron

Bestwood Coal & Iron Co. Ltd.  Martyn Fretwell writes :- Photographed this brick inside the Winding Engine House at Bestwood Colliery, Notts. Both the brick and iron works closed in 1928, the pit carrying on until 1967. Now set in Bestwood Country Park, the Engine House is well worth a visit. 


Beswick, Knutsford

A brickworks existed adjacent to the saw mill on Bexton Lane in Knutsford from at least the 1870s. By the 1880s the operation was in the hands of Joseph & John Beswick of Knutsford Steam Saw Mills, timber merchants, contractors and builders. They are listed in the 1896 Kelly's Directory but not in 1902.  Photo and information by David Kitching.


Betts, Diss



William Betts is listed as brickmaker at Bakers Barn Brickyard, Redenhall, Harleston, Norfolk in Kellys 1896 edition. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Next page: English bricks, page 4a, Letter B: Bi to Bo 
Return to the England index page