"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

English bricks - page 4b

Br to By

Bradbury, Basford



Thomas Bradbury first appears as a brickmaker in Basford, Stoke-on-Trent in 1867 and is listed as Bradbury & Co in 1869, The last listing of the business is in 1876.  Photo and info by David Kitching.

Bradford Brick & Tile

Bradford Brick & Tile Co Limited: Great Horton, Wapping Road, Leeds Road, and Whetley Lane, Manningham.



Found by Simon Patterson in West Yorks.  Made by the Bradford Brick & Tile Company Limited.  The company was founded by a group of Halifax businessmen in the 1870s. Its brick works were initially at Wapping Road, Whetley Lane, and Great Horton (Beldon Road). BB&T Co later opened operations in Seymour Street, Leeds Road, which became its HQ. The other works were presumably closed at around that time. Waste bricks from this company are extremely common in the Bradford area. Thanks to Derek Barker for the info.



Bradford Colliery, Manchester



This brick was produced at Bradford Colliery brickworks, Manchester. House bricks with this mark are not uncommon in the Manchester area. The brick kiln was built at the colliery site in the 1870s after the deeper workings had revealed seams of fireclay, which could be used in the making of fire bricks for lining furnaces. The brickworks was still operational in 1896, at which time it was owned by Edward Williams. However, the only employees were three underground workers still extracting clay and two surface workers, reflecting a decline in the local firebrick-manufacturing industry. I'm uncertain when production at the brickworks actually ceased, although it was probably during the early years of the twentieth century. After that date, the kiln remained derelict until demolition in the 1940s to allow for an expansion of the colliery. [Image, Derek Barker & information, Ian Miller].



Photo by Nigel Megson, found near the Barton Bridge in Barton on Irwell.

Bradford Corporation

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

This company was based at the Victoria Works, Rook Lane, off Tong Street, Bradford. The Rook Lane works seemed to have developed as a result of the brick making efforts of William Taylor and his widow Martha (1874-75) which breached a deed of covenant he had with the Bowling Iron Company. He had set up brick-making in opposition to the Bowling Iron works own kilns on land he had leased from the company. BIC eventually took over the brick making activities themselves to produce the [BOWLING IRON WORKS] bricks (1901-1922). Brick production survived longer than the actual iron making. The Rook Lane works had evolved into the Bradford Corporation brick-works on the same site by 1927.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

V Bradley, Leicester



Vincent Bradley had offices at 84 Highcross Street, Leicester according to Whites Directory of 1863. It is not known where his works were situated.  Photo and info by Dennis Gamble.

Hilary Bradley



Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Probably: - Hilary Bradley & Son, Deane Moor & Hope Street, Daubhill, Bolton, Lancs. Worrall's Directory 1871. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Bradstone



This is a wall brick made of concrete. The company is well known for making paving slabs etc.  Bradstone originated from the family company of E H Bradley and Sons, which was established in 1902 & still operates today from one of it's original sites in the Cotswolds.  Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell.



Found near Manton in Rutland by Alan Murray-Rust

A N Braithwaite & Co.



Found in a garden in Leeds, photo by Steve Kind.  Philip Rothery has supplied the following information: A. N. Braithwaite & Co ( branch of B Whitaker & Sons ) Central Brickworks Shafton Lane Holbeck Leeds.  Listed in Kelly Leeds, 1923, 1929 but missing in 1916, 1938.

Bramley





Bramley Brick Co., operated at the Swinnow Lane Brickworks at Bramley, Leeds, from c. 1898 when listed in Robinson, Leeds, to c1929, listed in Kelly, Leeds. The site was taken over by Jabez Woolley in 1930. Images PRBCO.


Brampton

From Chesterfield in Derbyshire, thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo



Photo by Martyn Fretwell

T P Brand



Thomas Purkiss Brand was a farmer & brickmaker at Brook Hall, Foxearth, nr Sudbury, Suffolk. Brickmaking between 1880 & 1900. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Brandon



Photo taken at the Scottish National Mining Museum  by Alan Murray Rust.  Arthur Brickman adds:   There had been brick and pipeworks at the Brandon Colliery in South West Durham since the 1870's, but they had mainly concentrated on the manufacture of sanitary ware. However, after nationalisation the NCB decided to switch production to firebricks for use in their extensive local colliery network, the works finally closing in 1974 as coal production in the Durham Coalfield began to wind down. From the mid-1960's they also produced a red-shale facing brick which was used in local housing products, but this is a somewhat elusive animal!

Branksea Fire



Photo taken at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Brashaw



 Found Sheffield, South Yorks. 2016. Origin not known - probably from the Sheffield area. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Bratt Colbran



Bratt Colbran was formed in 1909 with offices at 10, Mortimer Street, London. The company were manufacturers of gas fires, electric fires, coal fires & surrounds, hence this glazed brick. Been unable to establish the location of their brickworks, unless their glazed bricks were made by another company. Company adverts can be seen at this Link. Info and Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Bray



Found near Sheffield. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

H Bray



Kellys Huntingdonshire 1898 & 1903 editions records Henry Bray & Co. at Fletton, Peterborough & Kellys Notts. 1891 to 1904 editions lists his office address as Wheelergate, Nottingham, but with no works address. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Brereton Collieries



The Brereton Collieries were situated just to the south of Rugeley, operating from the late 18th century to 1960. A number of brickworks have been recorded at various locations around the colliery and this one comes from the last works which was in business by 1921 at a site alongside the colliery railway to the north of the Coppice Pit. There was a large production building and three rectangular kilns which are marked as disused on the 1955 OS map.  Info by David Kitching, photo taken at the museum at the Chasewater Railway.

Bretby brick, Newhall

Thanks to Christopher Dixon, photo of the works here.


Bretby Colliery



Produced at the colliery which was sunk in 1872  and originally owned by the Countess of Chesterfield, then the Earl of Carnarvon in 1890, who both resided at Bretby Hall. Carnarvon sold the colliery and Bretby Hall to fund his Tutankhamen expedition in 1920.  The colliery closed in 1928 due to it being unprofitable. Various seams were re-opened at different times up to 1962. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Bridges

photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.Henry Bridges, Norroy Street, Sheffield, info by Frank Lawson.


Bridgewater Collieries



The Bridgewater Collieries operated extensive brickworks at Mosley Common adjacent to the pit.  Photo and information by David Kitching.

Bridgewater Estate



Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Bridgnorth

Found at Kinlet Colliery Engine House, Highley, Shropshire. Photo by Michael Raybould.



The Bridgnorth brickworks was situated just north of Eardington village about 1.5 miles south of Bridgnorth town centre and was originally known as the Knowle Sands Brickworks when it opened between 1891 and 1903 and it had two round kilns. The 1926 OS map shows a large rectangular kiln and a Hoffmann kiln served by a through siding off the Severn Valley Railway. The works appears to have closed by the early 1950s and the site is now occupied by the Knowle Sands Industrial Estate. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by David Kitching.

J Brierley & son



J.Brierley & Son - Brandwood Moor,Stacksteads,Rossendale.Found in Rossendale. Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.

Briggs, Normanton

Henry Briggs Son & Co Ltd., Whitwood, Normanton, West Yorks.  The Company were major industrialists and the owners of several collieries in the Normanton & Pontefract area including Snydale, Whitwood, Haigh Moor and Methley Junction. The Company also owned Snydale Brickworks, Snydale, and the Micklefield and Newthorpe Lime Quarries and also controlled Briggs Collieries Limited. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Briggs Shipley

By 1869 there was a coal mine on Shipley High Moor, West Yorks operated by Briggs & Co.  The same family owned the Fairweather Green brickworks.  There were several generations who were active in Thornton, Clayton, Allerton and Shipley.  John Schofield Briggs was a coal merchant of Thornton.  His son was Joseph Briggs (1851-1912) who married Arabella Fairbank, thus uniting two Bradford coal mining and brick-making families.  John Schofield Briggs and Joseph Briggs seem to have been partners in several enterprises.  In 1860 they leased land from the Earl of Rosse at Shipley Moor and Sandy Lane Bottom for coal extraction.  Colliery brickworks are common in West Yorkshire although I cannot identify the exact site of this brick's production, unless they were made at Fairweather Green but marked 'Shipley'.  These bricks are still occasionally found today in the Shipley area and also in at least one derelict site near the University of Bradford.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the photo and information.


Brighouse

Photo by Darrell Prest

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

These bricks were produced by a company called Brighouse Brick, Tile & Stone Co. Ltd., Gooder Lane, Rastrick. I believe that it was this company that built Brick Terrace, Tile Terrace, and Brick & Tile Terrace, Rastrick for its employees. The quarry face behind the terraces is still clearly visible. In the late 19th century its addresses are given as Rastrick, Brighouse & Hillhouse Rd, Huddersfield.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.


Brightside

Made in Sheffield, thanks to Simon Patterson.

photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.


Brimington

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Brinsley

Found by R.Coleman in Selston, Notts. Photo Martyn Fretwell.


Bristol Fire Clay Co.

Photographed in Sharpness, Gloucestershire.


Bristow



Found in Hulcote, on the Easton Neston estate, near Towcester by Nigel Furniss

Britannia

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Made at Britannia Brickworks, Pildacre Lane, Ossett, West Yorks

This one was found a long way from home!  It was in the ruins of a now closed animal processing and freezer complex in Puerto Bories in Chilean Patagonia.  Many thanks to Robert Runyard.  It is unlikely to have been made at the same works as the above one.


Broadbent & Co. Leicester



Broadbent's were builders merchants in Leicester so these bricks were probably made elsewhere and badged with their name.  Photo and info by Peter Harris.

Broadmoor, Cinderford

Still in business today in the Forest of Dean.



Found near Tintern by Michael Kilner.

Bromsgrove

Simon Patterson photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum


Brooke, Halifax - see Joseph Brooke


Brookes

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Image PRBCO

Edward Brooke & Sons owned the Fieldhouse fire-clay works at Fartown, Huddersfield.  Listed in trade directories from 1857 to 1917 and owned by Leeds Fire Clay from around 1890.  Thanks to Derek Barker and Phillip Rothery for the information.
Brooks & Pickup - see Towneley Colliery, Burnley

Brookfield



Found at Tottington in Lancs - made by Taylor & Sons, Brookfield Brickworks, Hypatia Street, Tonge, Bolton, photo by Frank Lawson

Brookfield Clay, Chesterton



This brick may have been made by The Brookhouse Brick & Tile Co. who are listed at Chesterton, Newcastle, Staffs. in Kelly’s 1876 & 1880 editions. Info & Photographed at Apedale Heritage Centre by Martyn Fretwell.

Brookham



A Sussex brick, photo by Richard Symonds.

Brookhouse

The Brookhouse Brick Co., Littledale, Caton, Lancaster operated from the early 1920s to the late 1960s - Winstanley, M. Rural Industries of the Lune Valley, 2000. Image PRBCO.  See also entry for Lune 1965.


Broomhill



Broomhill Colliery near Alnwick.

Brothers, Blackburn



O.Brothers Co.,Livesey,Blackburn.   Livesey Brickworks was started by Orlando Brothers (surname) around 1845.The site was to the west of Malvern Mill by the Leeds/Liverpool canal..Clay was transported from Meadowhead by mineral railway.By 1886 William Brothers owned the works but went bankrupt that year and it became a Limited Company.It was last worked by Livesey Brick & Tile Co.Ltd.but was wound up in 1894.  Found in Sale.  Photo and info by Colin Driver.

W Brough



William Brough, Haying, Silverdale, Newcastle under Lyme is listed in Kellys 1860 edition, then the entry is W. Brough & Son in Kelly's 1868 to 1892 editions. Photo & info by Martyn Fretwell.


Brown, Belper



The reverse of this brick is very lightly stamped Belper.  W. Brown of Becksick Lane in Belper is listed in Kelly's 1855 edition.  Becksick Lane does not exist on maps today, but I have found Becksitch Lane which could be the modern name for this lane? Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Brown, Kingswinford



J. & E. Brown of Kingswinford are listed in Kelly’s 1868 to 1880 editions, then in 1884 edition just as John Brown, brickmaker, High Street, Kingswinford, Dudley. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Brown, Loboro



Photographed at Cadeby Reclamation yard by Martyn Fretwell.



Found in the garden of a house on Gladstone Avenue, Loughborough by Richard Thorpe.

James Brown



Photographed at a brick reclamation yard in Kent.  James Brown owned brickworks in Brentwood, Boreham, Hatfield, Witham, Upminster & Romford in Essex & I have found him listed in several trade directories from 1874 to 1914. Kelly’s 1894 edition records him at Writtle Street, Chelmsford, Upminster, Romford & Braintree. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

John Brown & Co. Aldwarke main colliery.



Photographed at Valley Reclamation Yard, Chesterfield by Martyn Fretwell. Made by John Brown & Co. Aldwarke Main Colliery Brickworks, Parkgate, Rotherham.  Info by Frank Lawson.

R. Brown

photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.


Browne & Co, Bridgwater

Found by John Biggs in Glastonbury. Browne and Company had brick yards in Bridgwater and the surrounding area.


Buck, Cambridge



Thomas Buck junior is listed as brickmaker at Stanley Road, Newmarket Road, Cambridge in Kelly’s 1892, 96 & 04 editions & his works was operational between 1880 & 1912. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Buck, Co. Durham



Photo by Mark Cranston.  J Buck is listed as having concerns at both Low Fell and Dunston in the 19thC.

Buckley & Co - see Steeple House


Buckleys Lowside



Rothwell and Ephraim Buckley were working the drift mine known as Lowside Colliery on Glodwick Lows, Oldham, from c1910 until 1938. Immediately to the east was the Lowside Brickworks that appears to have opened after 1900 and was gone by the early 1950s.  Photo and information by David Kitching.

Budleigh Salterton



Martin Smith, who spotted this one, writes: There was a brickworks in Dalditch Lane, Budleigh Salterton which was in business between about 1871 to 1907 when the site was put up for auction.  The site has now completely disappeared under a growth of conifers. 

Builders Direct Supply Co.



The Builders' Direct Supply Co Ltd were primarily builder's merchants, until they took over the brickworks of Cunnell & Co Ltd on Mile Cross Lane, Norwich in order to manufacture their own soft reds, believed in the 1920s using a Hoffman-type kiln, until it was demolished in the early 1960s.  Photo and info by Chris Fisher.



Discovered in the 1958 extension to the Catholic church in Hunstanton, Norfolk by Eric Rhodes.

Building Materials Co.



Seen at Nordelph, Norfolk by David Kitching.  Martyn Fretwell writes :- I have photographed this BMC brick in a fellow enthusiasts collection and he has recorded this brick as Building Materials Co. Ltd. prop. W.A. Bardell, Bawsey, Kings Lynn, Norfolk. I then found the following trade directory entries for Bardell Brothers at Bawsey, Kings Lynn in White’s 1883 & 90 editions & Kelly’s 1892 & 96 editions.

Building Material Supply Stores



The Building Material Supply Stores Ltd, 16a Chester St & works, Wood Street, Shrewsbury is listed in Kelly’s 1913 edition in the Brick & Tile Manufactures section. Further research has revealed that Wood Street was only a builders yard & BMSS was set up by H.H. Treasure who had run a builders merchants yard from the Wood Street site previously in his own name since the 1880’s. Adverts for BMSS records that they supplied Ruabon, Brossley & Staffordshire bricks & tiles, also bricks made at the Buttington Brickworks. H.H. Treasure is also known to have had an interest in the Buttington Brickworks, possibly owning shares, so one can assume that the Buttington Brickworks made the bricks stamped BMSS & Treasure & Son. Also see entry for Treasure & Son. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Bull Bridge

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.


Bull Hill Fire Clay Works, Darwin

Thanks to Simon Newby for the photo.


Bulwell

The Bulwell Brick Company had two works, one on Wells Road, Nottingham & this works is listed in Kelly’s from 1891 to it's 1916 edition. The Kett Street works, Bulwell is listed from 1876 to it's 1932 edition, with this brickworks closing around 1940.  Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.

Found near Papplewick pumping station in Notts. by Alan Murray-Rust.

Found in Hucknall by Martyn Fretwell

Photo by Alan Murray-Rust.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell, found in Hucknall.

Thanks to Darren Haywood.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell



Photo by John Morley.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell. Courtesy of Nottingham City Museums & Galleries.

W N Bundy, Whittlesea



William Nelson Bundy was first in partnership with James Anderson from 1868 to 1872 when the company was dissolved. Bundy & Anderson are listed in Kelly’s 1869 edition at Chatteris Road, Whittlesey. W.N. Bundy is listed on his own at Station Road, Whittlesey in Kelly’s 1879 edition. Entries up to 1913 edition then list the works at Lattersey Field, Whittlesey. Both these two locations are the same site near to the railway station. The works closed in 1913 with William going into liquidation. Photo by LBC Steve & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Burgass



William Burgass is listed as brickmaker at Carlton Hill, Nottingham in Kelly’s 1855 & White’s 1864 editions. In 1867 William Burgass and Edward Gripper combined their brickworks to form The Nottingham Patent Brick Company, operating at Carlton Hill and Mapperley. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell. Courtesy of Nottingham City Museums & Galleries.

Burham Brick & Cement Works

Burham Brick, Lime & Cement Co. near Aylesford, Kent was started in 1852, by Thomas Cubitt, the architect of Queen Victoria's Osborne House. In 1871 it became a Limited Company. He produced millions of different kinds of bricks including Pether's Patent ornamental bricks, which were made by forcing Gault clay into a hinged iron mould. By this method any elaborate design could be produced, which made it affordable and a durable means of decoration. Bricks were also supplied via their own barges for the London sewers and the Thames Embankment. As well as bricks he produced lime and cement and by 1900 the company was formed into APCM and was well known for its Blue Circle brand of Portland cement. The works in Burham closed in 1941, photos of it now are here. Photos by Tong Shan Hui and info by Martyn Fretwell.



W Burkitt


W. Burkitt worked for Fred Jewson at Fred's brickworks in Haddenham, Cambs. before setting up on his own at a location which is unknown. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Burley Gate



 The 'Gate' trademark, barely discernible within the frog, identifies this as a product of the Burley Gate brickworks, some ten miles from Bromyard in deepest North East Herefordshire. The works was started in the 1870s by William Cale and continued to function probably until the outbreak of World War ll, as the kiln was sold as building salvage in 1940.  Photo and info by Richard Paterson.

Burmantofts, Leeds

also see the entry for Leeds Fireclay Co.

A member of the Leeds Fireclay Company. Image PRBCO.



The front and rear of a Burmantofts brick by Martyn Fretwell



Burn Fireclay Co.

Burn Fireclay Co. Stobswood, Northumberland, open from 1860 to mid 1990's.  Superaxe and Meltaxe were also made here.

Photo by David Kitching. 



Found in Northampton near the disused railway line to Bedford by Nigel Furniss.



Thanks to George Simpson for the photo.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell



Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the David Penney Collection.

Burnley B & L

The Burnley Brick & Lime Company Ltd., Reedley Hallows, Burnley ( Kelly 1901 ) and 
Hesandford works, Burnley & Altham ( Kelly 1918 ). Image PRBCO.



Photo by Alan Davies.

Bursledon Brick Co.






This company was owned by two Quaker families, the Hooper’s and the Ashby’s and as well as being in business together they were also united by marriage. The Company was started by Edward Hooper in Southampton and he is recorded in the 1851 census as an engineer/brickmaker, trading in slate, white bricks and cement at  Baltic Wharf, Chapel Road, Southampton. Other members of both families joined this expanding company which traded as Hooper and Ashby and in 1864 Edward’s brother Charles purchased the White Brickworks at Exbury. By the 1881 census the company now under the control of Edmund Ashby traded as builders merchants, brickmakers and barge owners, employing 90 men and 25 boys. Around 1893 the company of Hooper and Ashby was then split into two with Morris Ashby and Robert Beck (Edward Hooper’s son in law) running the builder’s merchants and with Edmund and Robert Ashby running the brick and cement works which now traded as Hooper and Co. at Chandlers Ford. With clay reserves running low at Chandler’s Ford Edmund and Robert Ashby then opened a new brickworks at Lower Swanwick near Bursledon around 1896/7. This new works first traded as Hooper and Co. with the name then being changed to the Bursledon Brick Co. in 1903 and their bricks were stamped with their distinct logo of B.B.Co. The Ashby family continued to run the Bursledon brickworks until it was taken over just after the Second World War by the Sussex & Dorking Brick Company, who in turn were taken over by Redland. The Bursledon works continued under Redland until it’s closure in 1974. Info and bricks photographed at the Bursledon Brickworks Museum by Martyn Fretwell.  More info:  http://www.bursledonbrickworks.org.uk


Burslem



W Palmer & Sons' brickworks is listed in the 1904, 1924 and 1940 Kelly's trade directory at Leek New Road, Cobridge, Burslem. This is probably a product of their brickyard.  Photo and information by David Kitching.



Photo by Colin Driver.

A & T Burslem, Stockport



This brick is believed to have been made by Alexander & Thomas Burslem, sons of Alexander Burslem, who in 1881 was a brickmaker and farmer of 15 acres living on Adswood Lane, Stockport. In 1891 he was living at 1 Councillor Lane & was described as a Master Brickmaker. He is then recorded in Kelly’s Cheshire 1896 edition at Adswood, Stockport. After his death in 1901, his wife is recorded in Kelly’s 1902 edition as brickmaker and employer at Adswood, with his son Alexander as the manager of the works and Thomas as brickmaker. By 1906 the business had closed and in 1911 the two sons were both working as Carriers, with Thomas noted as carrying bricks, presumably from one or more of the other local brickyards. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection. Info by Martyn Fretwell provided by David Kitching.

Burthy



Burthy Brickworks, Summercourt, Cornwall SW919557, Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Burton Broseley

Found at Preston Montford, Shrewsbury.  Broseley is near Ironbridge.  Burton, John and Edward, brickmakers, Ladywood. (From Harrison, Harrop & Co. Trade Directory, 1861).  Photo and info by Christopher Dixon


Burwell

Found in Suffolk by Simon Patterson who adds that the company was owned by Fisons Ltd. in Ipswich.  Peter Harrison states this was made by the Burwell Brick Co. at Burwell near Newmarket.



Spotted in a c1900 house in Cambridge by Mike Shaw.



Photographed in Corris, Powys.



This brickworks was started in the 1860’s by Richard Ball, a fertilizer manufacturer who employed his turf diggers to dig clay during the winter months. In 1880 the firm became Colchester & Ball & they produced the Burwell White bricks which were used to build the houses in the village in the late 19th & 20th centuries. Briefly owned by another fertilizer company Prentices, the business was merged into Fisons in 1929. A new & larger brickworks had been built in 1926 & it continued to be operated by Fisons until 1966 when the brickworks was sold to a Leicestershire brick manufacturer. The works closed in 1971 due to the loss of popularity of white bricks & the demolition of the works & it’s 180ft chimney took place in 1972. Info & Photographed at Bursledon brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Bury



Found in Macclesfield by Frank Lawson.

J Bustard, Barnsley



J BUSTARD/POGMOOR BRICK WORKS/BARNSLEY.  This brick was found at  Ryhill (GCR) Station, opened in 1882, as a constituent part of the platform, thus dating its production. The Pogmoor area of Barnsley is home to the Chamberlain, Metallic and Summer Lane Brick Companies and Bustard was probably making bricks in the area prior to the latter two. Image PRBCO.

J Butcher & Son



Kellys 1876 edition lists J. Butcher as brickmaker at Irchester, Wellingborough. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Bute

Made by the Bute Brickworks, High Spen, Tyne & Wear.  This example was used in the construction of the colliery buildings at Chopwell Colliery.  Thanks to George Simpson for the photo.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  The name is that of the local landowner The Marquis of Bute. 


Butler

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.  Timothy Butler, Marlpool, Heanor, Derbys (Post Office Derbyshire Directory 1855), info by Frank Lawson.


Butt



Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.


Butterley Company

The Butterley Company were based in Ripley, Derbyshire and began life as Benjamin Outram & Co in 1790.  They owned several brickworks and the brickworks side of the business eventually became part of Hanson PLC.

Martyn Fretwell writes; Info from the National Archives, The Butterley Co. owned brickworks at Waingroves, Ollerton & Kirkby, but with Kirkby being nationalised in 1947 they acquired the Ambergate Brick Co. and the Blaby Brick & Tile Works. These two works were merged into the group in 1955 & they renamed the group, Butterley & Blaby Brick Co.Ltd. Hence B & B Waingroves and B & B Ambergate, see link for picture of name board at Ambergate. In 1968 the company was taken over by the Wiles Group, later called Hanson Trust Ltd. Then in 1969 the company was renamed as Butterley Building Materials Ltd., when it acquired several more brickworks in the 1970’s & 80’s including the National Star Group, the Castle Brick Co. and the London Brick Co. 1985 saw the company change its name again to the Butterley Brick Co. Ltd.  http://www.cacn.org.uk/news/basa0612.htm

Thanks to Colin Butler and Martyn Fretwell for the above photos.

Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.



Found at Caly Mills pumping station, Burton on Trent  by Maurice Stokes

thanks to Simon Patterson for the above photos



photo by Maurice Stokes, found at Clay Mills.

photo by Martyn Fretwell

Found in Ironville, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell.

Thanks to Colin Butler and Martyn Fretwell, they believe that this brick was made at what later became N.C.B. Kirkby.

Thanks to Ian C for the above photos



Believed to have been made by Butterley and Blaby, Found by Keith.



A Waingroves metallic with crown and flags. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.



Found in Mickleover, Derby by Alan Murray-Rust.

Butterknowle

A County Durham brick.  Butterknowle bricks were marked by a thumbprint.  This tapered brick was used in a coke oven at East Howle, Durham.  Thanks to Paul Harman for the photo and information.


Buxton



Photo by David Kitching, who writes: there is a brick and tile works visible just off Brown Edge Road on the
1st series of county maps (1880ish). All gone by 1898.

J & William Buxton and W & J Buxton



J. & William Buxton are listed as brickmakers in Kimberley, Nottingham in Kelly’s1876 edition & is followed by entries for William Buxton in 1881 to 1904 editions at Kimberley. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Byron

Byron bricks were made at Byron Brick works near Carr Vale Derbyshire.  Link to history of the company here.


Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photos.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell, from the Phil Sparham Collection.

T. W. Bytham

The lettering reads: Adamantine. T Bytham W. Registered.  Found by Frank Lawson in Little Bytham, Lincolnshire and is from the works of Towers & Williamson who operated in Little Bytham until the early 20th century and specialised in Allenite Clinker bricks.


Next page: English bricks, page 5, Letter C 
Return to the England index page