Cinderhill Brick Works was operated by Joseph Morton at Siddal Hall Lake in 1857 ( Kelly's Directory ). It was still operating in 1927 ... and beyond. Images PRBCO.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. Made at
the Cinder Hills Brickworks near Halifax.
Spotted in Horsforth, Leeds by Thomas Ackroyd.
Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo. Daniel &
Samuel Clarke, Sanitary Tube & Common & Firebrick
Manufacturers,Greasbrough Road, Masbrough, Rotherham, Kellys
1893 Directory. Info by FranK Lawson.
The Claughton Manor Brick Company was one of a number of
brickworks near Lancaster.
The works is operated by Hanson plc and was 'mothballed' in April 2010 because of a downturn in orders.
The brickworks is also served by the last aerial ropeway in
Britain. Follow this
link to see some of my photos of it.
Jesse Ward Clay, Hill Top, Newthorpe, Notts (Kelly's Nottinghamshire Diertory 1891). Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found near Ilkeston.
Made by the famous Clay Cross
Company in Derbyshire. Photos by Simon Patterson.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Found near Papplewick
station in Notts. by Alan Murray-Rust. Claytons made brick
making machinery and examples have been found where the
other side of the brick has the actual brick makers name on it.
Front and back of a Cliff, Wortley specimen found by David
In the mid-nineteenth century there was a brickworks in Wortley, Leeds which was founded by Joseph Cliff (1806-79). This company was known as Joseph Cliff & Sons and it also owned a brickworks in Dick Lane, Tyersal and the Shipley Fireclay Company, both in the Bradford area. In 1861 Joseph Cliff's daughter, Emily Christiana, married James Kitson (later Lord Airedale) a famous Leeds ironmaster and locomotive builder. Some years after Joseph Cliff's death the organization he had created became part of the well-known Leeds Fireclay Company. Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.
Photographed on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside.
Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.
Found at the Surrey Docks farm, London by Germander Speedwell.
Robert Clement Clive and William Bolton Clive of Tunstall, colliery proprietors leased land for a brickworks at Sandyford , Tunstall for a period of 21 years from 31st March 1895. This firebrick is from the works they established and this may have become known as the Newfield Brick & Marl Works. The Clive Brothers disappear from the trade directories at some point after 1912. Photo and information by David Kitching.