"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

English bricks page 5b

Letter C: Co to Cu
Coalbrookdale



Coalbrookdale, Lightmoor.  Photo taken at Blists Hill.



 Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.


Coalfield

 

From Mexborough, South Yorkshire.  Photo by Simon Patterson.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Coalmoor




Coalmoor is near Telford in Shropshire.

  The Allenite was a tough refractory brick used for lining kilns, etc.



The Coalmoor Sanitary Pipe Co. Ltd was formed in 1901 & in 1908 became the New Coalmoor Sanitary Pipe Co. Ltd. making pipes & fire bricks at itís works located near to Woodlands Farm now Myford House Nursing Home on Woodlands Lane, Horsehay near Coalmoor, Teford between 1908 & 1948. In 1948 the company was purchased by Coalmoor Refactories Ltd who produced refractory bricks for the steel industry. In 1951 the company purchased the nearby Lightmoor brickworks and in doing so transferred all production to the new site. By 1980 the company employed around 150 staff at both the quarry & works. The Lightmoor Works on Brick Kiln Bank, Lightmoor was owned by Ibstock when it closed in 1992 and the site now has houses built upon it. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection and info by Martyn Fretwell.

Coalport



A little bit of info and a map showing the location of the works can be seen at this link.  Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Cobridge Brick & Marl



Photo by David Kitching.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Cobridge Brick and Marl based on Leek Road produced common bricks with a "Cobridge" logo moulded into the frog. They also produced fire bricks to line kilns used in the pottery industry and engineering bricks used in foundation works. They produced a large range of hand made bricks to order. Marl was extract from the adjoining marl hole and a second one behind the works in Sneyd Street. They had a second production site on Scotia Road in Burslem where they had a modern continuous oil fired kiln main common brick production was based here with overflow production of commons in Cobridge.  Information by John Roberts.

Cobridge Brick & Sanitary Pipe Co.



Cobridge Brick & Sanitary Pipe Co Ltd was based just 200 yards up from Cobridge Brick on Leek Road.  Their site on Hamil Road Burslem was abandoned early in their history. They did produce a few bricks in Hamil Road and these were stamped as per this sample.  Examples are rare as they were not in brick production for long.  At their Cobridge site they produced salt glazed pipes and tiles.  Information by John Roberts and photo by David Kitching.

Cochrane

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.



Photo by Jon Gluyas.

Cocking - Doncaster











Various bricks made by Cocking & Sons of Balby, Doncaster, all photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Refer to the entry below for more info on this company.

Cocking - Walkeringham





Front and back of a Cocking brick, Clayton is the name of the manufacturer of the brick making machinery.



Photographed near Newark by Martyn Fretwell.

Martyn Fretwell writes :- Thomas Cocking started his Walkeringham, Notts. brickworks around 1876, producing red & white bricks & red floor quarry tiles. Thomas was followed at this yard by his sons and son-in-law, George Cooper. This works was sold sometime in the 1940ís and continued under new owners until it closed in 1956. After the sale of the Walkeringham works, the Cockings family then opened a new works at Balby, Doncaster & bricks stamped Balby are also believed to be made by them. The Balby works then became part of Yorkshire Amalgamated Brick Co. in the 1960ís. Photographed at Bassetlaw Museum, Retford by Martyn Fretwell.

Codnor Ville



A newspaper auction notice from 1858 advertises that Lot 4 was the sale of 'One Half Share in Codnor Ville Brick Yard'. There is no name of the owner of this yard in the auction notice, it only states that "The Tennant's will show the Premises". Theadore Hickling was the owner of the land on which this brick yard had been established, so he may have been the person who was selling the half share in the yard. Research of the word Ville has revealed that this is a French word for town, thus resulting in Codnor Ville (town) being stamped in the brick above without the e. A 1854 map showing the layout of the building plots & the new streets of a new housing estate just off Mill Lane in Codnor also shows the brickworks in the centre of the development. In Kellyís 1857 edition, Robert & Charles Taylor are recorded as brickmakers in Codnor & from the 1881 census Thomas Allcock & his two sons are all recorded as brickmakers, living at nearby Prospect Place in Codnor. So either of these two families could have made these bricks. Info & Photographed at Ripley Reclamation by Martyn Fretwell.

Cogenhoe, Northampton



 The Cogenhoe Iron Ore Co. was established in 1858 & in 1877 a brickworks was built by the company to utilise the clay that was being dug. However this venture was short lived as there was a downturn in the demand for iron ore & the company closed in 1880. Kellyís lists The Cogenhoe Iron Ore Co. as brickmakers itís 1877 edition. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

G H Colchester, Burwell, Cambs.



G H Colchester, Burwell, Newmarket, Cambs.   Supposedly to give his workers work in winter T. T. Ball opened a brickworks a little to the north of Burwell beyond the old lode, eventually renamed Factory lode. In 1881 T. T. Ball employed 33 men at the chemical works, in partnership from the 1880s with W. and G. H. Colchester, of a Suffolk fertilizer firm. By 1900 those works were linked by a private line to the Cambridge-Mildenhall railway running through Soham. Their firm, Colchester & Ball, continued to produce both fertilizer, by 1900 using imported phosphates, and the Burwell White bricks. When G. H. Colchester retired in 1919 it was taken over by another East Anglian fertilizer company, Prentices.

Prentices was in turn merged in 1929 into Fisons Ltd., which manufactured fertilizer at Burwell until after 1962. By 1926 a new and larger brickworks was built, with steadily growing brick pits to its north, on Little Fen drove just south-west of the earlier one. It remained in use in the 1960s, employing c. 45 people and producing up to 10,000,000 bricks a year. In 1966 Fisons sold it to a Leicestershire brick manufacturer. Following the loss in popularity of white bricks, it was closed in 1971. The buildings, save for some workers' cottages, were demolished in 1972, their two 180-ft. high chimneys being blown up.  Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Coleford



 Today, Coleford Brick & Tile Co. is still producing hand made bricks. Established in 1925, itís Marians Brickworks was between Coleford & Staunton. Most of itís early production was used by the local mining industry in and around the Forest of Dean, but now the companyís hand made bricks are mainly used by the building industry. The Marians brickworks closed after WW2 and a second and the present day Royal Forest of Dean Works was opened in 1935 at Cinderford on the site of a former brickworks. Recent contracts have included two & a half million bricks for the new British Library in London & 168,000 bricks for the 118ft tower at the newly refurbished Royal Shakespeare Theatre at Stratford on Avon. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.  Photos of a visit to the works can be viewed here.

W H Collier



William Homan Collier established his Marks Tey brickworks near Colchester in 1863. William had previously worked at E & R Collier in Reading. William H. Collier is listed in Kellyís 1882, 94 & 1902 editions at Marks Tey. The 1914 edition now lists the company as Collier Ltd with works at Marks Tey, Hutton, Shenfield & Cranham, Upminster. The expansion of Collier Ltd. may have taken place after William had retired from brickmaking or his death. The company stayed in the Collier family until 1988, then after several changes in ownership the company was taken over by Wienerberger in 2004. The Marks Tey works was then acquired by a Management Buyout Team lead by Maurice Page & the works is still in production today operating under the name of W.H. Collier Ltd. Two down draft kilns from the original 1863 works still stand. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

W J Collins



Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation, Rugeley.   Kellyís 1896 to 1908 Staffordshire editions records William James Collins as brickmaker at Oaken, Albrighton, Wolverhampton. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

J S Collins, Gornalwood



 John Samuel Collins is listed at Gornal Wood, Dudley in Kellys 1868 edition. This works was situated on Himley Road. Kellys 1872  to 1904 editions now lists the works at Lower Gornal, Dudley. Studying maps has revealed that this was the same works. Info & Photographed at the Black Country Living Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Collins Green

Photographed on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside.  Alan Davies adds:  The company had a colliery at Collins Green, near Bold, St Helens and also a brickworks in Burtonwood producing up to 10,000 bricks per day. Some were used in the construction of 154 working men's cottages in the village.


Collins, Pensnett



James Collins is listed in Kellyís 1868 to 1880 editions at Pensnett, Kingswinford, Dudley. Info by Martyn Fretwell & Photo by Keith Hodgkins.

W Collins, Newton le Willows



Made by W. Collins, Green Colliery, Newton-le-Willows, Warrington. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Colthurst Symons & Co., Bridgwater



Photo by John Morley.  William Symons opened a brick yard in 1851.  By 1859, Colthurst & Symons & Co were leading brick makers in the area. By 1881 large numbers were employed, 85 by one manufacturer.  The largest yard was the Crossway Brick and Tile Works of Colthurst, Symons, and Co.  By 1887 there were three yards, Crossway, Fursland's Somerset Yard, and New Yard.  New Yard was held by William Symons in 1898.   Brick making in the area declined in the early 20th century.



Photo by Malcolm Holt.

Colville. Gibson, Scotswood





Photo by Mark Cranston.  The fish (salmon) impression on the back of the brick was only present on about 1% of the bricks.

Colwich





Front and back of a Colwich brick, found at site of brickworks in Colwich, Staffs.  Site now developed as a housing estate.  Photos by Ray Martin.

Commondale



A chimney brick found at Neasham by Jo Crossley.



A decorated moulding, photo by Jo Crossley.



Photo by Jo Crossley. The Crossley family, see later entry, used the COMMONDALE name on some of their
products.

Conisboro



Made in Conisborough, South Yorkshire, Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photos

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Consett



Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Cook, Washington station

The name on this brick is unusually on the header end, thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo


W Cooke & Co, Tinsley



No Info other than there was a William Cooke who produced Iron, steel & wire ropes at Tinsley, but no mention of bricks in the Graceís Guide entry. Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the David Penney Collection.

Cookson

Photographed in Leeds.




Photos by Frank Lawson.  J H Cookson & Son Ltd of Lofthouse, West Yorkshire.
Cooper





Front and back of a Cooper brick found by David Rogers near Lincoln.  Clayton is the name of the brick machinery manufacturer.  Martyn Fretwell adds:  John Cooper is listed in Kelly's 1876 to 1891 editions at Misterton, Notts. The next entries are for George Cooper possibly John's son and he is listed in Kelly's 1900 to 1936 editions at Misterton.

T Cooper & Co, Shelton, Derby





Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Cooper Newcastle

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.


Cope

Thomas Cope first appears as a brickmaker in the 1842 trade directory at Steels Nook, Longton and the business is listed as being run by his executors by 1864. In 1869 the works is listed as Holden Bridge Brickyard, Smallthorne and it is last mentioned in 1904. Photo and information by David Kitching.


J Cope & Son



Ken Perkins records J. Cope & Son at the Midland Port Vale Tileries in 1878 & I have found that John Cope (blue metallic) is listed as brickmaker at Port Vale, Wolstanton Stoke on Trent & Smallthorne in Kellyís 1868 edition & then in the 1872 edition the listing is Norton in the Moors, Burslem & Wolstanton SOT. Info & Photographed at Apedale Heritage Centre by Martyn Fretwell.

Copford



For the history of this works please see John Ambrose entry. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Copp



Made by G Copp, Maufant, Jersey. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Coptrod





Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, these bricks were made near Rochdale.


Corbett, Stoke Works

A Worcestershire brick, Simon Patterson photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum


Corbridge on Tyne



The front and back of a Corbridge brick. Photo by Mark Cranston.


Corby





 The listing for this works is Weldon & Corby Brickworks, J.Pain, Managing Director, Corby in Kellys 1903 edition. Then in Kellys 1906, 10 & 14 editions it is the Weldon & Corby Patent Brick Co. Ltd., Corby. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Cornard, Suffolk





Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.



Cornard Brick & Tile Co. Sudbury, Suffolk was in production between 1919 & 1964. This example was made after 1945.  Full history of the works, page 4. http://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/Downloads/bbs/bbs-43.pdf/at_download/file
Image of the washmill. http://www.sudburysuffolk.co.uk/photoarchive/viewimage.asp?id=670 . Info & Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Cornes, Hanley




The Cornes works was on, Slippery Lane, Hanley, adjacent to the Shelton Colliery. By 1900 it was sharing the marl hole with the Sun Street Works to the south. In 1867 the works was operated by Richard B Clarke and Cornes only  appears in the 1896 directory. By 1904 the firm was trading as C Cornes & Sons but in 1907 the works is listed as operated by the Hanley & Tunstall Fireclay Co Ltd. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Cornish



With this brick just being stamped Cornish I have attributed it to Orbell Cornish whoís sons/grandsons also follow him as brickmakers in Essex. Orbell Cornish is listed in Kellys 1871 to 1882 editions at Sible Hedingham, Halstead, Essex.  Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Daniel Cornish & Co.



 Daniel Cornish was the son of Orbell Cornish, brickmaker in Sible Hedingham. Daniel Cornish & Co. owned the Shenfield & Hutton Brickworks in Shenfield, Brentwood & this works is first listed in Kellys 1899 edition. Kellys 1902 edition now includes a 2nd works at Wickford & was situated at the end of Station Avenue. Daniel continues to run both works until the Wickford Works is listed in Kellys 1917 edition as being owned by John Cornish (possibly his brother). John Cornish is listed at Wickford until Kellys 1922 edition. As of yet no bricks stamped John Cornish have been found. Back to Daniel & he continues to be listed in Kellys at the Shenfield & Hutton Works until my last available trade directory in 1937. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Edward Cornish, Eastwood, Essex





Edward Cornish was the son of Orbell Cornish, brickmaker in Sible Hedingham. Edward is listed in Kellys 1902 edition at the Eastwood Brickworks, Rochford, Essex. This entry continues until the 1922 edition when itís now Edward Cornish, Eastwood B/Wís, Rayleigh Road, Southend. Kellys 1937 entry is the same & is the last Essex trade directory that I have access to. Year the works closed is unknown. Edward lived to the grand old age of 100 & died in 1974. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Eli Cornish



Eli Cornish was the son of Orbell Cornish, brickmaker in Sible Hedingham. Eli stamped his bricks ECC to distinguish his bricks from his brotherís Edward Cornish who stamped his bricks, EC. Eliís Tortoise Brickworks was on Wethersfield Road, Sible Hedingham & he is listed in Kellys 1894 edition to 1929 edition at this works. A web article records him brickmaking between 1886 & 1932. In Kellys 1902 edition Eli is listed as briefly owning the Hedingham Brick Co., after which that works reverted back to being owned by Mark Gentry who had previously owned it. Eli also owned a 2nd brickworks called the Sidings Brickworks at Purls Hill, Sible Hedingham & this works is listed in Kellys 1914 & 17 editions. Eli Cornish is also recorded as being a director of the Sible Hedingham Red Brick Co. which took over Mark Gentryís Highfield Works, Purls Hill after he had finished brickmaking & the S.H.R.B. Co. is listed from Kellys 1922 edition as owning this works. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell with some info from a BBS article by Adrian Corder-Birch.

Fred Cornish, Tortoise



Fred Cornish is listed as brickmaker at the Tortoise Brickworks, Wethersfield Road, Sible Hedingham in Kellys 1933 & 37 editions. Fred followed Eli Cornish at the works who may have been his father. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

W Cornish



William Cornish was the son of Orbell Cornish, brickmaker in Sible Hedingham. William is listed in Kellys 1886 & 90 editions at High Beech Road, Loughton, Essex. Kellys 1894 edition now records the company as William Cornish & Co. at Chigwell Road, South Woodford. This entry continues until 1925 when the listing is H.R. Cornish, Chigwell Road, South Woodford. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

W D Cornish



W. D. Cornish, Enfield. Middx. started around 1990ís along with several other brickworks in the area. His Bush Hill Park works flourished until the price of land increased & his works was the last to close in the Enfield area in 1936. Info by Martyn Fretwell and photographed in a Kent reclamation yard.

Coronet

 

Found near Measham, Leicestershire, photo by Michael Raybould.



Photo by John Morley. 



Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.

Peter Harris writes:  These were made by Coronet Brick co ltd of Measham.  They made both bricks and salt glazed pipes  They only made pipes in the later years  They closed about 1965   I do not think they were connected to Redbank as they were on the other side of the Midland Railway at Measham.

Martyn Fretwell adds; Coronet Brick and Terra Cotta Works was in production by 1903 and was one of a trio of brickworks on Atherstone Road.  Redbank was on the opposite side of the railway line and Measham Terra Cotta Co. was to the north, each with its own adjoining clay pits. The company may have taken its name from nearby Coronet House situated 150 meters from the works.

Cory



Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Cossall Colliery Co.

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.



Martyn Fretwell writes :- The Cossall Colliery Co. is listed in Kellyís 1916 & 22 editions with three railway siding depots in Nottingham. The brickworks was next to the colliery in the village of Cossall, Notts, which is just east of Ilkeston. A mining reference records the Cossall Colliery Co. brickworks as making 10,000 bricks per day in 1923 & by 1940 the output was 15,000 bricks per day.

Cosslet, Warmley



Richard Cosslett junior is listed in Slaterís 1880 Bristol trade directory as brick & terra cotta manufacturer at Warmley, Glos. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Coton Park, Burton on Trent



Found near Repton in Derbyshire by Frank Lawson.  The 1895 Kelly's Directory for Derbyshire lists "Coton Park & Linton Colliery Ltd" of Linton, Burton upon Trent as brick manufacturers. 

Cottam, Barlboro

Photo by Simon Patterson. Made at Cottam No. 2 colliery, operated by Appleby and Co, later Eckington coal & Iron Co. See also Barlboro entry.


County, Stacksteads



Photo by David Kitching







Photos by courtesy of Colin Driver.



The County Brick & Tile Co. at Rakehead, Stackstead, Lancs went into liquidation on the 26th May 1900 after 13 years of production & was owned by Thomas Ratcliffe. Seventeen years after the disused brickworks had closed the 114ft chimney, constructed with 90,000 bricks was pulled down. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Coupe

photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.



Photo by Simon Patterson

Frank Lawson writes:  I am confident that this brick was made by Coupe Brothers, Brickmakers who, according to several street directories, operated out of several addresses in Sheffield including Carlisle Street East & Sorby Street.


Cousins, Whitehaven



Michael Cousins is listed as a master builder in the 1880's directories and in 1881 as builder and Brick and Tile maker. Site of works not known at present.  Photo and info by Solway Past.


Cowcroft



I found a Buckinghamshire County Council reference to a brick kiln at Cowcroft, Ley Hill, Chesham, recorded as being in operation in the 19th & 20th centuries at this grid reference SP 98720 01810 on Kiln Lane and may have been the location where this brick was made. There was another brickworks also now closed at Meadhams Farm, situated slightly south of the Cowcroft site & this works was owned by the Dunton Brothers / Michelmersh Group. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the David Penney Collection.


Cowen M

Found near Consett, County Durham.

Made by Cowen's brickworks (Low yard), Blaydon Burn.  Thanks to George Simpson for the photo and info.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Another Cowen brick has been found by Tom Ostrander along the path of the Seattle and Lake Shore Railroad at Issaquah Washington, the first rail line built out of Seattle and across the Cascade mountains. It was built in 1885-1887.


Cowie



Martyn Fretwell writes :- No trade directory entries have been found for this paver, but with photographing it at Oldfield Reclamation, Old Hill I expect it was made in the West Bromwich/ Tipton area. If you can help with information for this brick, please contact David. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell. 

Cowling

Photo taken at an old house in the village of Everton in North Nottinghamshire by Joe Jefferies.  Frank Lawson writes:  I think this was almost certainly made by John Cowling of Spital Terrace Gainsborough, Lincs (White's Lincolnshire Directory 1856). Everton is very close to Gainsborough and I also found one in the same vicinity.



John Cowling is first listed in Whiteís 1853 edition as brickmaker at Walkeringham, Notts. John is then followed by his son William in the running of the works in 1861. This works consisted of two yards, one either side of the Chesterfield Canal. Kelly's Lincolnshire 1868 edition records William as him living at Crowgarth, Gainsborough & his works at Walkeringham, Notts. After Williamís early death in 1871 aged 35, his wife Maria ran the two yards until she sold them as two individual lots in 1880. The entry for Cowling & Co. appears in Kellyís 1876 Notts. edition. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.



Found in Dunham on Trent by Carl.

Coxlodge

This brick was photographed by Dave McAnelly at the Coxlodge, Gosforth and District Social Club, on Jubilee Road, Coxlodge, Newcastle upon Tyne.  It was part of a wall that was removed during refurbishment work and kept as a memento, the Club was purpose built and opened in June 1910. Thanks to Ken Roddam.


W Coyney



Made in Weston Coyney, Stoke on Trent.  Photo by Ken Perkins.

Cradley Heath



This brick could have been made at the Congreaves Brickworks, Cradley Heath owned by the British Iron Co. History of the brickworks can be read at this link.  Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection, with Info supplied by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Malcolm Holt.

Craig, Sacriston



A County Durham company, photo by Julie Parker.

Cramlington

Made at Cramlington colliery north of Newcastle on Tyne, photo by Chris Fryatt.

Photo by Mark Cranston.


W Crane, Newton Burgoland, Ashby de la Zouch



William Crane, brickmaker in Newton Burgoland, Swepstone, Ashby-De-La-Zouch is listed in Kellyís 1895 to 1908 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Cranleigh



A brickworks was established next to Baynards Railway Station near Cranleigh, Surrey in the early 20th century & was known as Baynards Brick & Tile Works. After many years of producing bricks & Fullerís earth for the wool industry & then producing foundry clay, the site was purchased by Steetley Chemicals in 1937. Production of chemicals continued on the site until 1989 when the works closed. A new brickworks was then established just to the west of the chemical works in 1990 & was known as the Cranleigh Brick & Tile Co. The brickworks closed in 2004 & the site was then used to store bricks from other brickworks. Today after being derelict for many years the site is in the process of being turned into a nature reserve. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.

Crappers Exors Wisewood

photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.  Wisewood is a suburb of Sheffield

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Alan Murray-Rust.



 Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Craven

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo





Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

These bricks were the product of John Craven at the large Roundwood brickworks at Alverthorpe, Wakefield which opened in 1862.  John Craven was the inventor of the stiff-plastic process and the owner of the first Hoffman kiln in Britain.  The kiln was fired continuously until 1909.  John Craven designed the brick-making machines and grinding pans.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.


Crofts Plastic



Thomas Croft Brickworks, Deepdale, Preston.  Photo by Colin Driver, info by Frank Lawson.

Croft Stone



Photographed at Cadeby Reclamation yard.  Martyn writes :- With this brick being photographed in Leicestershire, C.S. could be Croft Stone, Quarry & Brick Co. Croft, Hinckley which is recorded in Kellyís 1877 edition. From the 1881 to 1912 editions the Company is listed as Croft Granite & Brick Co. with the 1881 entry recording Henry Davis Pochin & Samuel Davenport Pochin as Proprietors.

Crook & Co.



Found in Bolton, also has A B & T on the face.  Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.

Crooks



photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.


Crosland Coal Company

Found on the site of Cleckheaton Central station, probably made by the Crosland Coal Company, Webster Lane, Scholes, Cleckheaton.  Listed 1877 to 1897, info and image PRBCO.


Cross image



 With this brick being marked with a cross, I was told it was made at the St. Helens brickworks in Ipswich & I found that there is a brickworks marked on the 1882 & 1900 maps off Back Hamlet & close to St. Helens Church. There is another option of it being made at the Trinity Brickworks which was situated on the other side of Back Hamlet next to Holy Trinity Church & this works is shown on the 1882 & 1900 maps. Kellyís 1896 edition lists Joseph Bird as owning the Trinity Brickworks & this works closed around 1910. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Crossley, Middlesbrough

John Crossley produced many clay building products, as well as terracotta ware, at Commondale, North Yorkshire, between 1871 and 1947.  He had previously opened a builders merchants in Middlesbrough in 1858.  Also refer to the entries for Commondale and Tudor.



Crossley, Middlesbro - photos by Simon Patterson

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.



Found by Gordon Hull at Ushaw Moor near Durham.  Gordon thinks it dates from the 1920's



Found on the beach at Saltburn by Jo Crossley.

Crossling Benwell



Photo by Mark Cranston, Arthur Brickman adds: Hartley Hudson Crossling; produced at the Condercum Brickworks adjacent to the Charlotte Pit in Benwell, (although not commercially connected to that concern), to the west of Newcastle upon Tyne.

Crowborough

Martyn Fretwell was told at the brick yard that this one is from Crowborough. INFO from net - Crowborough Brickworks at Jarvis Brook, started around 1890 and was in production until February 1980. It was owned by Redland when it closed in 1982. The site is now part industrial and part nature reserve. Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell. 2 links for the brickworks. http://www.theweald.org/B10.asp?bookid=payne02050    http://www.theweald.org/m00.asp?PicIdto=45151104


Crowle



Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. Made near Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire.



BSC operated the Crowle Brickworks near Scunthorpe between 1967 & 1972. Full history of the works at these two links: here and here.  Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Crown Works, Horwich



Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

A B Croxon



Made in Burnham on Crouch, Essex.  Photo by David Wallis.

Cudworth







Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Cudworth is near Barnsley.

Cudworth Junction

The brickworks was located on the south-western flank of Cudworth near Barnsley, South Yorkshire. Listed in trade directories under this name 1897 and 1904. Image PRBCO.

Photo by Alan Murray-Rust.

This was photographed at the Chasewater Railway near Lichfield by John Pease.



Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Culford



This was an estate brickworks belonging to Culford Hall, Suffolk owned by the Benyon family until the Hall was sold in 1889 to George Henry, 5th Lord Cadogan who live there until his death in 1933. I have no trade directories for this works but it is shown on two maps dated 1881 & 1903 with it no longer being shown on a 1950 map. In 1893 Lord Cadogan made many improvements to his house when he turned it into a mansion. In 1901 Henry Warren is recorded as manager of the works & living at Brick Kiln Cottage. Photo by John Bowes & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Culgaith, Cumberland



Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Cumberworth

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Cumberworth Brick & Tile Company was founded by the Wood family. The address in the  1930s was the Cumberworth Brick, Tile & Stone Co Ltd, Shepley, Huddersfield.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.



Found at Thurlstone, S.Yorks by Frank Lawson.

Cunliffe's Kettering



This works was  the north-west of the town between the River Slade and the Midland Railway and this is shown on the 1900 map and Kelly's Directory lists a William Cunliffe as a brick manufacturer.  Photo and info by Dave Clemo.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Cuthbert

photo by courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection. F Cuthbert & Sons Ltd., Greystones, Sheffield. 
White's Sheffield & Rotherham Directory 1905. Info by Frank Lawson.


Next page: English bricks, page 6, Letter D
Return to the England index page