"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

England page 6, Letter: D

D (in a diamond): Dyson Refractories

D B Co Ltd: Derby brick Co

D B C: see entries for Derby Brick Co. and Dorking Brick Co.

D D: Daniel, Doncaster

D F: David Fletcher

D & H: Derrington & Hales

D I C C: Denby Iron & Coal

D K C C: Derby Kilburn Colliery

D M C: Darfield main Colliery

D M C C: Dinnington Main Colliery

D P & S: Daniel Platt, Tunstall

D R: Daniel Riddiough

D S: Davis & Shaw

E D: Edwin Dusautoy, Derby

D H B Co. Crompton

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Found in Crompton by David Kitching


Situated in Ellgreave Street, Dalehall, Burslem, Staffordshire around 1850 this yard made bricks of a good quality Staffordshire red & blue.  The brick here was recovered from the Slater Street area of Middle Port during demolition in 2008.  Photo and description by Ken Perkins.

Dalton, Lathom

Both photographed on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside.

Another one from Crosby, photo by David Kitching.

G G Dalton, Linthorpe, Middlesbrough

George Grubb Dalton, Brick Manufacturer, Builder & Contractor, Linthorpe, Middlesbrough is recorded in the London Gazette as giving Notice of Intended Dividends on the 13th November 1888. Residence Cambridge Road, Linthorpe & trading in Linthorpe, Middlesbrough & all of Yorkshire. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Daniel Doncaster

Made by Daniel Doncaster, found by Michaela in Grimesthorpe, Sheffield.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Daniel Platt, Tunstall

Daniel Platt & Sons specialised in tiles at their Brownhill Tileries in Tunstall and also at Harpfield Tileries in Newcastle. They also made facing and paving bricks along with specialist items such as copings, ridges, and finials. Daniel Platt first appears in the trade directories in 1879 and in 1884 is listed at Harpfield Tileries. BCM is a mark which may mean 'British Clay Manufacturers' and this was probably a marketing arrangement between a number of firms. The 1931 Directory of Clayworkers lists BCM \ DP&S along with 18 other BCM firms. Photo and information by David Kitching.

Daniel Riddiough

Derek Barker writes: This brick was made by Daniel Riddiough. Unless I am very much mistaken brick-making seems to be the least of his accomplishments. Daniel Riddiough was born in Colne, Lancs and was also a builder and quarry owner in the Otley Rd/Killinghall Road area of Bradford. He seems to have owned what was called the Peel Park Brewery, Otley Road built in 1853. Apparently he sold this concern in 1872, but then bought it back after the new owners went bankrupt in 1882. In 1891 he finally sold out his brewery and 17 pubs to Hammonds Bradford Brewery Co Ltd but continued as a brick-maker, perhaps until he died in 1911. The brick works included a circular Hoffmann kiln and are well marked on contemporary maps at at Cliffe Lane, Bolton Road. 

Darcy Lever, Bolton

Darcy Lever is a township to the north of Bolton - found near Horwich in Lancashire by Frank Lawson

Darfield Clay Works

Above photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  

Darfield is near Barnsley.  The site was operated as Darfield Clay Works cl865 - cl880. Following on was owned by James Gooddy with bricks marked J GOODDY / DARFIELD / CLAY WORKS. Source: The Maurice Dobson Museum, Darfield, South Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.

Darfield Main Colliery

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Darlaston Brick Co, brickworks was situated to the north-west of Darlaston & James Bridge Station shortly after 1900. There were six rectangular kilns shown on the 1917 OS map. By 1924 it had become the Darlaston Brick Co.
Ltd, but by 1938 the site had been cleared and other industry developed. Photo and information by David Kitching.

Darlow Bros.

Darlow Brothers, Old Hall Road, Attercliffe, Sheffield. White's Sheffield & Rotherham Directory 1879.  Pinfold Lane, Attercliffe, Sheffield. White's Sheffield & Rotherham Directory 1893.  Meadow Head Brickworks, Chesterfield Road, Sheffield. White's Sheffield & Rotherham Directory 1901.  Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Daubhill (Jos. Higson)

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, manufactured in the Bolton area.


The Davenport Terra Cotta, Brick & Tile Co, was on Garners Lane, Davenport, Stockport. It appears in the 1902 and 1906 trade directories, but not 1896 or 1914. Photo and info by David Kitching.


Found in Tweedmouth.   The Davidson Glass Company was founded at Teams, Gateshead in 1867 and they built a factory adjacent to several brickworks. It's probable they either owned one of these, or had their own branded bricks made there.  Photo and info courtesy of Scottish Brickmarks.

Davis & Co, Essington

W. Davis is listed in Kellys 1860 edition at Essington, Wolverhampton. Then the entry is Davis & Co. Essington, Wolverhampton in Kellys 1868 to 1896 editions. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

T Davies, Billingsley

The 1892 & 1900 OS maps show this brickworks just south of Billingsley, Shropshire & Thomas Davies is listed at the works in Kelly’s 1870 edition. The 1891 edition reads Thomas Edwin Davies & the next two entries in 1895 & 1909 reads Mrs. Elizabeth Davies, Billingsley. The 1913 edition now lists the Billingsley Colliery Co. as owners of this works. Shropshire History website states that the works had closed by 1914. Info & Photo courtesy of the John Baylis Collection by Martyn Fretwell.

Davies, Hereford

Probably the predecessor of Ralph, Preece, Davies at the Victoria Brick & Tile Works in Hereford. Photo by Richard Paterson.

J C Davies, Ledbury

The works of J C Davies occupied what was previously the site of Ballard's Ledbury works (see other entry) and later the jam factory of Ledbury Preserves.  Photographed at Butcher Row House Museum in Ledbury by Richard Paterson.

Davis, Ickham

Davis owned a small brick field at Ickham (actually the brick field is at Cherville Lane Canterbury District just north off the A257 Canterbury-Sandwich road west of Wingham) Looks to have been active circa  1871-1900 but gone before 1920. Postcode CT3 1L2 lat 51.2696 long 1.18435.  Photo and info by Chris Blair-Myers.

Davis & Shaw

Davis & Shaw are listed at the Brick & Mar Works, Hamil Road, Burslem in Kelly’s 1892 edition. Info & Photographed at Apedale Heritage Centre by Martyn Fretwell.

John Day, Thurmaston

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

J R Deacon

Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

Dearham Colliery

Dearham, near Maryport, 12½ miles [20 km] NNE of Whitehaven.  Photo by Mark Cranston.

Dearness Waterhouses

Dearness Brick & Tile Co., Waterhouses, Co. Durham.  (Mark Coates, manager).  Kelly's Durham Directory 1890. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Delves B

These bricks were made at the Delves Colliery in Consett, County Durham:  These are south-east of and about half-a-mile from the Iron and Steel Works, and have a capacity of about 120,000 bricks per week. Ordinary fire bricks, blast furnace lumps, and other fire brick articles used in the various departments, are made here, the coal and clay being obtained at the Delves Pit, which is in close proximity. The clay is taken up incline gears by steam power, and tipped automatically into a large iron shoot provided for its reception. It is then conveyed along a horizontal shoot worked by an Archimedean screw to a large edge-runner mill, where it is ground. It next passes through perforated plates in the mill pan, after which it is elevated and screened, and finally passed to the pug mill. The driving engine, mill, and elevating gear are of great strength and power. There are ten brick burning kilns, equal to 17,000 or 18,000 bricks per charge. The kilns are fired by the waste heat from four rows of coke ovens immediately adjoining, the waste gases from which are collected in one large flue, and after passing through the kilns are conveyed in small flues under the floor of the commodious drying shed. There are also a small mill and press for mixing and making Banister bricks, which are burnt in two suitable hard fire kilns, each having a capacity of 10,000 bricks.  Thanks to George for the photo and info

Denby Iron & Coal Co. Ltd, Nr Derby

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.

Denby Terra Cotta Works near Derby

Hugh Stewart is recorded as proprietor of the Denby Terra Cotta, Brick and Tile Works in the Late 19th Century. Photos & info Martyn Fretwell.

John Evelyn Denison

John Evelyn Denison, 1st Viscount Ossington owned Ossington Hall, Notts. from 1820 to 1873 & this estate  brickworks is shown disused on an 1875 map.  Clayton Patent refers to the makers of the brick making machine.  Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

D B Co - S L (Derby Brick Co.)

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, thought to be Derby Brick Co Ltd. - they appear in the 1912 Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire - found near Quarndon, Derby

In the 1932 edition of Kelly's Directory, The Derby Brick Company is recorded in Aston on Trent & was still in production in 1941. All found at a brick reclamation yard in Spondon.  Info & Photos by Martyn Fretwell

Found close to the site of the brickworks at Aston on Trent in Derbyshire by Frank Lawson

Photo by Simon Patterson

Derby Kilburn Colliery Co.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found at Woodhouse, Sheffield

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.

J Derrington, Birmingham

Also refer to entry below for Derrington, Hay Mills.

Josiah Derrington had previously been in partnership with Edward Hales at Primrose Hill, Duddeston & then Leopold Street, Birmingham. After this partnership had ceased Derrington set up his own business & he is listed in Kelly’s 1878 edition as brickmaking at Garrison Lane & selling coal, lime, cement, bricks & chimney pots at Dartmouth Street, Birmingham. Kelly’s 1883 entry now includes '& Sons’. Kelly’s 1890 edition lists two works, Garrison Lane & Hay Mills, Yardley. The Hay Mills works had been purchased off Reuben Shipway in 1889 & a second adjacent works was purchased off Powley & Co. in 1890, both these works where on Speedwell Road. Only the Hay Mills works are listed in Kelly’s 1895 edition, so Garrison Lane must have closed by this date. Both of the Hay Mills works continue to be listed up to my last Kelly’s trade directory in 1915 & I have found from the web that these two works were sold to Birmingham Corporation in the 1920’s for landfill. Info & Photographed at Four Oaks Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

Derrington & Hales

Josiah Derrington & Edward Hales are listed in Kelly’s 1868 edition at Leopold Street, Highgate & Great Lister Street, Birmingham.  This partnership had been formed in the early 1860’s at a works in Duddeston & then Leopold Street, but had ceased by 1878 when Derrington set up his own business selling building materials on Dartmouth Street & brickmaking at the former Midland Brick Works on Garrison Lane. Info & Photographed at Four Oaks Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

Derrington Hay Mill

Also refer to entry above for Derrington, Birmingham.

Found in Derby by Frank Lawson - made by Derrington & Son, Hay Mill, Yardley, Birmingham.

Photo by Ray Martin.


Thanks to Andrew Gardner for the photo.

John Dewhurst, Preston

John Davies found this example while digging in his Lancashire garden.  Unusually the brick has an end name stamp.


Found in Derby by Frank Lawson.


The Diamond Brick Co. is listed in Kelly, West Riding, 1901/1904 at Starbeck, Harrogate.  This was seen in the base of a former wall in the Oatlands area of Harrogate, image PRBCO.

Diamond, Rawtenstall

The Diamond Brick Co., operated 1899 - 1903, Rawtenstall, Lancashire. - I Goldthorpe, Rossendale Rambles, 1985. Image PRBCO.

Photos by courtesy of Colin Driver.

Dickens Bandals

John Henry Dickens, Born 1859 in Thrussington is recorded in the 1881 Census as brickmaker, unmarried, living at Baudill Brickyards, Burton on the Wolds, Leicester. By 1891 now aged 32, he's now recorded as forman brickmaker & married to Elizabeth. His father Henry was also a brickmaker in Loughborough in the 1861 Census. During my research I have found several ways of spelling Baudill - Bandalls & on the brick Bandals. One reference states Bandalls is in the Parish of Burton on the Wolds, on land running down to the River Soar. This spelling is used today for Bandalls Lane. 

Info & photos by Martyn Fretwell.

R Dickinson & Co. Consett

R Dickinson & Co., Carr House, Consett, Co. Durham.  In 1880 R Dickinson & Co. were the owners of Carr House Colliery, Consett. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, made by Digby Coal Co, Giltbrook, Nottingham - found near Ilkeston.


Jno Dilks, Rotherham Road, Parkgate, Rotherham, South Yorks.   White's Sheffield & Rotherham Directory 1879.  Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Dimson - see Plymouth


Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photos

Dinnington Main Colliery Co.

Found near Rotherham by Bob Gellatly, Bob thinks it was probably made by the Dinnington Main Colliery Company


Photo by Alan Hulme

Dixon & Son, Blackburn

Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

J Dixon & sons, Horwich

Photos by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

J Dixon (Sheffield)

Origin not known: - Possibly - Dixon & Co., Penistone Road, Sheffield. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

W. A. Dixon, St. Albans

William Alexander DIXON was the son of a St Albans corn dealer. He was based in Alma Road and was associated with a brick yard in Sandpit Lane for no more than about a dozen years from about 1891.  thanks to Chris Reynolds for the photo and info.

M Dodd

Found Consett, Co. Durham 2016.  Origin not known.  Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Photo courtesy of the Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection


Kelly’s 1928 Directory records the works as the Dordon Brick & Tile Co. Tamworth with J. Adcock. Manager, then in the 1936 & 1940 editions the company is now recorded as the Dordon Brick Co. with Thomas Slack as Proprietor.  Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Found East Morton, West Yorks. 17-04-16, photo by Frank Lawson.


All photos by Richard Symonds. The bottom one features their double diamond symbol.


Photo and info by David Rogers, who writes:  This was a small company in the village of Dorrington, near Sleaford, Lincolnshire. The company did not last many years as the clay pit filled with water. It is alleged that Skegness Clock Tower was built out of these bricks.

Dorset Fire Brick Co.

The Dorset Fire Brick Co. Ltd is listed in Kelly’s 1880 edition as manufacturers of fire, white & blue facing bricks, red, dun & Brosley roofing tiles, ridge tiles, flooring squares, blue vitrified stable & street paving bricks at Hamworthy Junction, Poole with Frank Gwynne Wheatley as secretary. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

W Dougill

Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Photo by Brian Hartley


Found in Dudley by Simon Patterson.

Spotted at 'Crocodiles of the world' at Witney, Oxfordshire by Vicky.

Doulton Lambeth

The front and side of a Doulton Lambeth airbrick, discovered by Jessica while renovating a house in Bermuda.

Doulton, St. Helens

Found during restoration work on a cottage in Bethesda, Gwynedd by Gwyn.

Found in Southport by Simon Patterson

Found in Southport by Simon Patterson.

Dow Moor

No info. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Down, Glastonbury

Made by Albert Down, Glastonbury, thanks to John Biggs for the photos.  John understands the works was at Edmund Hill on the Wells road, now the site of a garage.

Downes & Rayner

Downes & Rayner, Gestingthorpe, Essex. Extract from a BBS article on the Hedingham brick industry: "Successive members of another Rayner family owned brickworks at Gestingthorpe, as did John Downs, who was also the Postrnaster, Iron Founder, and a farmer in Gestingthorpe."  Link for info.


Found by Frank Lawson at a field drain near South Wheatley in North Notts.  Some fascinating info from Arthur Brickman:  Although I'm unable to identify the manufacturer of this particular brick, I can add some background information. Until 1850 a tax was paid on all bricks used for property building, however those used for infrastructure products were exempt. To avoid tax liability in such cases, manufacturer's marked their drainage bricks accordingly and this would be one such example. However, I have encountered similar items in building footings, particularly on colliery sites. No doubt once the structure was complete the offending items would have been concealed, and a saving on its overall cost achieved at the expense of the Exchequer!

Photographed at Beeston reclamation yard. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Almost certainly a misspelling of the above entry.  Found on a farm track outside Pocklington, East Yorkshire by Carla van Beveren.
William Dransfield & Son, Besom Hill, Oldham

William Dransfield & Son Ltd.,Besom Hill Brick,Tile & Sanitary Pipe Works,Besom Hill,Moorside, Oldham. Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.


W. Draper, A paving brick found in Coalbrookdale.

Martyn Fretwell writes :- W. Draper is listed as the proprietor of the Hall End Brick Co. Church Lane, West Bromwich in Kellys Staffs. 1904, 08, 12 & 16 editions. As a works the Hall End Brick Co. is listed in Kellys 1896 to 1940 editions. An article on the web records the brickworks as being the last to close in West Bromwich, but no closure date is given & it may have been in the 1940’s as the 1950 map only shows the clay pit as a small lake.

Duddell, Fenton

Found on a Staffordshire Farm by Cheryl Owen.


The front and back of a Duffield brick, I J could well be the owner's initials. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Dugmore, Heath Town

In 1899 Isaac Dugmore formerly of Willenhall and an iron polisher was living at North Farm, Heath Town and now recorded as a brickmaker. Isaac died in 1903. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall. Martyn adds:- Isaac Dugmore & Sons are recorded as proprietors of the Midland Brick Works, New Cross, Heath Town, Wolverhampton in Kellys 1896 & 1900 editions.


Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Dukinfield is in east Manchester.

Photo by Alan Davies.


Made at Dumbleton Hall in Gloucestershire at it’s own brickworks on the estate which was on the western edge of Dumbleton village next to Brickyard Cottages. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Dunlop & Son, Reading

Found near Tilehurst, Berkshire by Nigel Mack.  George Dunlop's moved to Reading from Berwick on Tweed and founded a business as a coal merchant, salt dealer, feedstuffs merchant and brickmaker at Tilehurst. The business passed to his son Herbert in January 1882. This seems to have included the operation of the Kentwood Kiln, Gipsy Lane, Tilehurst, Reading. The tenancy was determined in 1892 and there was a sale at the site on May 25th of that year. The site was subsequently largely absorbed by the expanded adjacent Kew Kiln and the kiln location saw the erection of a pumping station for the Tilehurst and Pangbourne water works. This suggests that the brick dates from before 1892.  Info supplied by David Kitching and Alison Pinto.


Meadham’s Farm Brickworks at Ley Hill, Chesham, Bucks was originally owned & started in 1937 by the Dunton Brothers. The works was taken over by Martin Warner in 1997 & after purchasing several other brickworks, Warner incorporated Dunton's into his Michelmersh Group with the Ley Hill site continuing to called by the Dunton name. This works closed in May 2013 due to higher production costs & diminishing clay reserves. An application to convert the works into a landfill site was turned down in August 2015.  Info & Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Dunwear, Bridgwater

The Dunwear Co. operated in Bridgwater between 1883 and 1958.  From the late 18th Century, brickmaking became a major local industry and today there is the Brick and Tile Museum.  This example was found in Farnham, Surrey.  Photo and info by Ben Black.

Dunwell Pocklington

Pocklington is a village near York.  Dunwells were making bricks in Burnby Lane from 1900-1915.  Thanks to Andrew Boyce for the photo, further info on the Pocklington brick industry can be read here.

W Duogill - see Dougill


Photographed in Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell.


What a name! Believed to have been made by Stanley brothers, Nuneaton.  Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Found in a demolished chapel wall by Richard Paterson.

Durham Brick and Tile, Crook Hall, Durham

Photo by Gary Turnbull.


Found by Malcolm Smith on the Camerton Brickworks site near Workington.

Edwin Dusautoy, Derby

Martyn Fretwell writes;- Edwin Dusautoy, owned the California Brickworks, Stockbrook Fields, which was on Stockbrook Street in Derby & he is recorded in Kelly's Trade Directory between 1881 & 1904 at this address. The California Brickworks is then recorded in Kelly's 1908 edition as being owned by the Derby Brick Company, who also owned brickworks on Uttoxeter Road & Slack Lane in Derby. In the Derby & District Trade Directory, 1921 edition, DBC is recorded at Stockbrook Street & as being managed by George Duasutoy, residing at Warwick Avenue, Littleover. So the Duasutoy family may have been the owners/part owners of DBC after Edwin had finished brickmaking.

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.

Front and back photos by Martyn Fretwell

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Chas. Dyche of Chaddesden Hill, Derby is recorded in Kelly's Directory for 1857. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Dyson Refractories

A major Sheffield based manufacturor.  Found at Holyhead Breakwater Park, Anglesey.

Dyson Group PLC, Baslow Road, Totley, Sheffield.   This is a modern firebrick made by the Dyson Group PLC. Although its Head Office address is Totley, Sheffield this brick may well have been made at one of its other brickworks in Bonnybridge, Scotland.   J & J Dyson (later Dyson Refractories & Dyson Group PLC) were founded at Stannington, Sheffield in the early 19th century and are manufacturers of refractory products mainly for the steel industry. In 1967 they took over the Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire works of James Dougall & Sons Ltd. & also owned works in Crook, Co. Durham.  Found Barton on Humber.  Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

Found in Barrow in Furness by Richard Cornish.

Next page: English bricks, page 7, Letter E 
Return to the England index page