"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

Scotland page B: letters H to M


Letter H

Hailes

The Hailes brickworks was set up in 1902, in association with Hailes quarry, in the Longstone district of Edinburgh, but the brick was reputedly of poor quality and production died away in the 1930s.The quarry was used for landfill and is now a city park.  Thanks to Joseph Hodgkiss for the photos and information.


Hamilton

Martin Briscoe photographed this one

Photographed at Hirum Walkers Distillery, Dumbarton by Ian Sinclair.


Heathfield

Found on a Renfrewshire seashore by Ian Sinclair.  Heathfield Fireclay Works, Lanarkshire, ca 1850 - 1960s.


Herbertshire, Denny

Photo and information by David Kitching.


Hill of Beath

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found in Pitlochry.


Hilton Works, Alloa



Photo by Mark Cranston.

Hislop



Photo by John Sutherland.

Hodge, McDonald & Corbet, Glasgow

Found in an 1860's Glasgow house by Andrew Greg.


Holytown

Found in a WWII Decoy Control bunker near Fort William by Martin Briscoe.  Made near Motherwell.


Hood

Found at an Edinburgh recycling centre by Joseph Hodgkiss.  Joseph writes: This brick is almost certainly a product of one of Archibald Hood's brickworks. Scotsman Archibald Hood, was considered a very enlightened, paternalistic employer, and in addition to his many coal mining enterprises also owned a brickworks (see Whitehill) in Rosewell, Midlothian. The brickworks made use of fireclay from the associated coal mines.


R & W Horn

Found on the banks of Loch Lomond in Scotland by Mr. Jim Haworth of Burnley.  Eric Flack writes: R & W Horn ran a brickworks just south of Lock 35 at Drumchapel on the Forth and Clyde canal.  The works were taken over by Stevensons and I have Stevenson Drumchapel Glasgow bricks in my possession.  The works closed in 1916.  They used "red" clay from an open clay pit.  R & W Horn also had a small brick making kiln where the Elderslie dock is - part of the BAE systems yard now.  Formerly Yarrows of Scotston.  It also used "red" clay.


J & R Howie, Kilmarnock see Hurlford


Hudspith, Wishaw

Part of the Summerlee collection, photo by Monkland Memories.



Photo by Robert Beresford.

Hunter, Brora - see Brora


Hunter, Portobello

Thanks to Lee Kindness for the photo, taken near the site of the old Joppa salt pans.


Hurlford Fireclay

Hurlford Fireclay works, Kilmarnock, 1860s - 1970s. Found on a Renfrewshire seashore by Ian Sinclair.


Both found on the seashore in Ballantrae, Ayrshire by Christine.

J&R Howie Ltd., Hurlford Fireclay Works, Kilmarnock. The works was just to the east of Kilmarnock and supplied by a number of mines in the area. It operated from 1858 until 1971 producing pottery, bricks, chimneys, garden
ornaments and enamelled sanitary ware. The buildings were demolished by 1979.  Info by David Kitching.


Hurll, Glasgow

Martin Briscoe found this one in Kinlochleven at the back of the old Post Office.

and this one in Fort William

Eric Flack writes:  The two bricks below were made at the Drumchapel works of P & M Hurll.  It operated from about 1903 to November 1941.  It reopened in 1950 under the management of Alexandra Transport Company and the bricks were marked ATC.  Alexandra Transport Co was part of the Tilcon group.  All these bricks used shale from colliery waste bings in the Drumchapel area.  Latterly Alexandra Transport used lorries to bring clay from the Cadder area.  The works closed in 1958 and is now occupied by Edrington Holdings who bottle Grouse whisky on the site.

Both found on a Renfrewshire seashore by Ian Sinclair.

Photographed at Summerlee Museum.



Found at the ruins of the old American-owned "Swift Beef Company" plant in Puerto San Julían in southern Argentine Patagonia by Robert Runyard

Hyslop

Photographed at Summerlee Museum.  Made between 1889 and 1915.


Letter I

Ignis



A firebrick found at Cruden Bay near Aberdeen. Photo and info by Scottish Brickmarks.

Letter J

Jenny Lind see Carfin Colliery


Letter K.

K

Found near Fort William by Martin Briscoe.

This one found near Largs by Martin Briscoe


K & C

Found at an Edinburgh recycling centre by Joseph Hodgkiss


Keir & Cawder

Found in Dumbarton by Lairich Rigg.  A Glasgow company which made bricks from the 1930's to the 1960's.


Kelvin

Found on a Renfrewshire seashore by Ian Sinclair.


Kelvinside




Kelvinside brickworks was situated in the Maryhill district of Glasgow and operated from about 1873 to 1930. The brick was found in the Redhall district of Edinburgh by Joseph Hodgkiss

Kennet




A brickworks operated into the 1960s on the site of the Brucefield Colliery at Kennet in Clackmannanshire. Photo and info by Richard Paterson.



Found on the seashore at Bo'ness, West Lothian by Paul Shave

Kersland

Found by Martin Briscoe in Largs, Ayrshire.  The Kersland brick works was in Dalry.


King, Bellside

Made in Motherwell. Photo by Mark Cranston.



Photo by Robert Beresford.

Kingseat



Photo by Mark Cranston.

Kirkconnel see N C B Fauldhead

Kirkwood

Found on a Renfrewshire seashore by Ian Sinclair.


Klinit

Three refractory bricks, origin unknown - Klint 108, Klinit R and Klinit 7


Letter L.

Lanemark

The Lanemark Coal Company opened its brickworks in the early 1890s adjacent to its Boigside No.2 Pit just north-west of New Cumnock in Ayrshire. The company collapsed in1908 and the works was closed although
the collieries were taken over by New Cumnock Collieries Ltd in 1909. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Larkhall

Part of the Summerlee collection, photo by Monkland Memories.


Lews

This one was made at the Garrabost works near Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis.  It is believed to have been named after Lews Castle.  The works opened before 1851 during the time of Sir James Matheson. The castle and brickworks were both owned by Lord Leverhulme during the 1920's.  Thanks to Peter Kerr for the info.


Lilliehill

Found by Peggy Edwards at the site of Murrayshall Limeworks, Stirlingshire. 

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/46271/details/murrayshall+lime+works/


Linwood

Photographed at Summerlee Museum.  Linwood Brickworks, Paisley, 1904 - ca 1915.


Littlemill

Found on the seashore in Ballantrae, Ayrshire by Christine.



Littlemill (Knockshinnock) Colliery and Brickworks at Rankinston, Ayrshire. Photo and info by David Kitching.

Livingston & Son, Patent, Portobello



Photo by Mark Cranston

Lochside

Made by Lochside Works, Townhill, Dunfermline. Opened 1902, closed 1974. Found in Fort William by Martin Briscoe


Logan, Dalry

Another found by Martin Briscoe on the beach at Portencross, Ayrshire.  Kersland Brickworks, Dalry, ca 1910 - 1939.


Loganlea



Photo by Robert Beresford.

G S Loudon, West Calder

Part of the Summerlee collection, photo by Monkland Memories.



G S Loudon, Hermand Brickworks, West Calder, Midlothian.   Photo courtesy of Mark Cranston.

Loudon & Russell

Found on a Renfrewshire seashore by Ian Sinclair.  Loudon Russell Pipe Works, Newmains, 1973 - 1970s.



Found at Hartwood Hospital by Lee Robinson.

Letter M.

Mac Brand



Found at the site of Niddrie brickworks by Ian Suddaby.

A McIntyre & Son, Glasgow


Photo by David Patrick, probably made about 1880.


MacDonald, Glasgow

This could be A & J Macdonald, Patent, Glasgow.  Found in a garden in Fairlie, Ayrshire by Lee Robinson


McDonald Braidwood

Spotted in Moffat by Peter Robinson.  Meadow Brickworks, Carluke, South Lanarkshire, 1889 - 1920. The business
of John McDonald, Son, & Company, Composition Brick and Fire Clay Manufacturers, Meadow Brick Works, Braidwood, Carluke. Partners Charles McDonald and William Barr dissolved partnership 30th April 1910. It
was also known as the Nellfield Brick & Tile Works.  Info by David Kitching.


John McKnight, Kilmarnock

In 1873 John McKnight owned Kilmarnock Colliery, to the south of Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. This was already an old colliery at that time and had gone by 1896. Photo and information by David Kitching.


J Mc N. S & Co. Glasgow



Found by the Firth of Forth at Inverkeithing by Mark Cranston.  James McNaughton, Son & Co., Heatheryknowe, Glasgow.   Heathery Knowe Coal Company (ca 1862-1867).  Heathery Knowe Colliery & Fire Clay Works (ca 1867-1889).   Offices: Baillieston and Glasgow, Scotland.   Works: Baillieston, Bargeddie, Lanarkshire, Scotland.  
Dates: 1862 - 1889.

Coal mines opened in the Baillieston area as early as 1832. The Heathery Knowe Coal Company started in the coal business in 1861/2. Between 1867 and 1882 it was owned by James McNaughton Son & Co. Started making hand-pressed firebrick in the mid to late 1860s. Company may have continued under the management of Ferrier and Strain of Bargeddie in 1896. The Heathery Knowe coal mine was still in existence in 1896 but had been abandoned by 1908. Noted as being manufacturers of firebricks, sewage pipes, facing bricks, yellow and glazed sinks, and every description of fire clay goods.  Info by Frank Lawson and Mark Cranston.

(Monklands Memories website) www.monklands.co.uk/bricks/otherbrick.htm

Maddiston



Photo by Mark Cranston.

Mars



Origin not known but probably a Scottish firebrick,   Photo courtesy of Mark Cranston.

Maxwood Galston



Galston is a town in East Ayrshire, photo by Ian Suddaby.

Mason & Brownlee, Rochsolloch

Part of the Summerlee collection, photo by Monkland Memories.


Meta



Assumed to be from the Meta Brickworks, Fishcross, Alloa, Clackmannanshire.  (1 1/2m. N.E. of Alloa).  Found on the seashore at Bo'ness, West Lothian by Paul Shave

Methil

Found at Lochailort, near Mallaig by Martin Briscoe, made in Fife.  The Methil works was open from 1908 - 1952.


Miller, Glenvault



R Miller, Glenvault, Cumbernauld, Dunbartonshire.  Photo courtesy of Mark Cranston.

Millstone



Found on the foreshore at Boness, West Lothian by Paul Shave.  Millstone Grit and Fireclay Ltd, Wester Jawcraig, Falkirk, info by Mark Cranston.

Milton, Carluke



Found by Martin Briscoe near the shore at HMS Quebec / Kilbride Camp, Inveraray – now a caravan park.

Milton Brick & Tile Works, 1897 - 1940s.



Photo by Alan Murray Rust

Milton Brick & Tile Works, Carluke, Lanarkshire, operated from c1897 to 1978. Scottish Clay Hollow-Ware Limited were incorporated on 15th July 1937 with registered office at the works. Final closure came with the voluntary liquidation of T B Gibson & Co Ltd t/a Milton Tile Works, Carluke on 14th August 1978.  Info by David Kitching.

Mitchell, West Bank, Portobello



Peter Mitchell, West Bank Brick & Tile Works, Portobello, Edinburgh.  Photo courtesy of Mark Cranston.

Moore



Made in Uddingston, Lanarkshire and found at Wick Harbour.  Photo and info by Scottish Brickmarks.

Motherwell



Motherwell Brick Co. Works, Motherwell, Lanarkshire.  Photo by Mark Cranston.

Mount Vernon



Photo by Mark Cranston.



Photo by Nigel Megson in Crianlarich.

Muir, Armadale

Made at Barbauchlaw Brickworks, 1897 - 1947. Photo by Simon Patterson
Found by Martin Briscoe near some old military buildings at Kyleakin, near the Skye Bridge.
Munro



Photo by Mark Cranston.

Myrtle



Photo by Mark Cranston.

Next page: Scotland page C: letters N to W
Return to the index page