"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

Scotland page C: letters N to W


Letter N

N C B Bar-Law



Photo by Mark Cranston.

N.C.B. Bl/Ferme



A product of the N C B Blantyreferme brickworks near Glasgow, photo and info by Richard Paterson

N.C.B. Dunaskin

Dunaskin Brickworks, near Dalmelington, Ayrshire. Closed 1976 by the Scottish Brick Corporation.Photo and information by David Kitching.


N.C.B. Fauldhead

Fauldhead Colliery at Kirkconnel was easily the largest pit in Dumfriesshire. A brickworks was opened here in 1912 by Sanquhar & Kirkconnel Collieries Limited. The National Coal Board took over in 1947 and the brickworks remained in production until a few years after the closure of the colliery in 1969. Info by David Kitching.



Photo by David Kitching.

N C B Lochgelly



Lochgelly Brickworks, Lochgelly, Fife. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

N.C.B Newton

Martin Briscoe spotted this one near Inverlochy Castle, Fort William.


N.C.B. Niddrie

The Niddrie brickworks, near Edinburgh, was a large common-brick works built to supply bricks for housebuilding by the Niddrie & Benhar Coal Co.  It had three large Hoffman continuous kilns, and latterly, a modern shuttle kiln.  The works closed in 1991, and was demolished. The site is now a shopping centre.  Information taken from the scran database.

Photo by Simon Patterson.

Found at RAF Oban which was a seaplane base at Kerrara, by Martin Briscoe.

Found in an Edinburgh recycling centre by Joseph Hodgkiss.


N.C.B. Preston Grange

Bricks were made at Preston Grange from the early nineteenth century.  After 1872 the works were expanded and progressively mechanised and switched to using shale (blaes) and fireclay from the nearby colliery.  By the nineteen fifties almost all of the colliery's output was absorbed by the brickworks.  Information taken from the scran database.

Prestongrange is in East Lothian and is now an industrial museum.  The Hoffman brick kiln is preserved on site.

Found near Edinburgh by Joseph Hodgkiss.


N.C.B. Roslin

A brickworks was set up at Roslin Colliery (which was owned by the Shotts Iron Company) in 1937 to produce 40,000 bricks a day.  During WW2 these were used to build air-raid shelters.  The brickworks operated until the 1970's, source: R C A H M S

Found in an Edinburgh recycling centre.

Found on a disused railway near Roslin, Edinburgh.  Thanks to Joseph Hodgkiss for the contributions.



Photo by Mark Cranston.

N.C.B. Skares

Found on the seashore near Stranraer by Jonathan Wilkins.  The Skares brickworks was operational from the late nineteenth century until 1962.  More info here.


N.C.B. Wallyford

 



Spotted in a short section of the sea wall parapet at Prestonpans by Alan Murray Rust

N. C. B. Whitehill

Made on the same site as N.C.B. Skares bricks. Photo by Mark Cranston.


Nellfield

Found near Connel Ferry station by Martin Briscoe, made by the Nellfield brick & tile works, Carluke, 1893 - 1939.



Found in Ayr by Bill Speirs.



Photo by Robert Beresford.

Newbattle

 


New Cleghorn, Glasgow

Part of the Summerlee collection, photo by Monkland Memories.


Nettle

Photo by Mark Cranston.  Possibly a product of the Manuel works in Linlithgow, and part of the Stein Group. If so, it is named after a clay seam with a high alumina content, and dubbed "Nettle". The first Nettle bricks came out of the kilns in 1930. (http://www.urbexforums.co.uk/showthread.php/4410-Stein-Refractories-M anuel-Works-Muiravonside). Thanks to Lawrence Skuse.



Photo by Maurice Stokes, found at Clay Mills pumping station, Burton on Trent



Found on the pebble beach at Kenfig Burrows near Bridgend by Michael Kilner.



Found in Ebbw Vale by Andrew.

Newmains

This works was near Wishaw. Photo by Mark Cranston.


Niddrie - see N.C.B. Niddrie


Nimmo

Part of the Summerlee collection, photo by Monkland Memories.


Letter O.

Omoa

Found on the seashore near Stranraer by Jonathan Wilkins.  Made by Omoa Fireclay Works, Cleland. 


Letter P.

Panmure





 Made on a presumably estate-owned brickworks in Carnoustie. Found on a derelict site in Broughty Ferry.  Photo and info by Scottish Brickmarks.

J. Paterson & son, Glasgow

This works was active from 1889 - 1945, photo by Andrew Greg.  Found in a backyard in Strathbungo, Glasgow.


Patrick & Brownlie Crown Brand

Found by Vladimir Smirnov in St. Petersburg.  Believed to have been made near Carluke in Lanarkshire.


Pentland

Found at an Edinburgh recycling centre by Joseph Hodgkiss. This brickworks was located in Straiton about 6 miles south of Edinburgh City centre.


Pitcon

Found on the seashore in Ballantrae, Ayrshire by Christine.

Photo taken at a radar station on Tiree by Martin Briscoe.


Pitfour

Photo taken near the site of the old Grandtully Station by Peggy Edwards.  Made by Pitfour Brick & Tile Works at Glencarse, 1850 - 1912.


Plann, Kilmarnock

Plann Fireclay Works, 1896 - 1970's.  Photo by Mark Cranston.



Only one N on this one.  Found in Ardrossan by Lee Robinson.

John Porter

Made at Parkhead (near Celtic's ground) in Glasgow and found in Glasgow by David Ashford.



Possibly a product of this works. Photo by Martyn Fretwell. Courtesy of Nottingham City Museums & Galleries.

Prestongrange:  see N.C.B. Prestongrange


Letter R.

Raeburn

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  The works was at Blantyre in Lanarkshire.


Rawyards, Glasgow

Another one from Chilean Patagonia, photo by Robert Runyard.  Rawyards is a district of Airdrie, ca 1893 - 1940s


Reid Lugton



Found in Galston, East Ayrshire.  Photo by Ian Suddaby.

Robroyston



 Made at the Robroyston Brick & Tile Works on the outskirts of Glasgow. Found and photographed on the western tip of Knoydart by Ian Hunter.

Rosehall

From a demolished GPO repeater station near Oban, photo by Martin Briscoe. Made in Coatbridge, ca 1900 - 1945.

Roslin - see N.C.B. Roslin


Rowland, Polmadie

Part of the Summerlee collection, photo by Monkland Memories.


Letter S.

Sankey B M Scotch



Photos by Mark Cranston.

S & KC Buccleuch (Sanquhar)

Sanquhar and Kirkconnel Collieries, Sanquhar.

The Buccleuch Brickworks in Sanquhar, Dumfries & Galloway was established in about 1889 to make terracotta bricks. It consisted of a large moulding shop and eight large round downdraught kilns, all of which had conical superstructures, probably later additions.  The clay came from quarries to the north-east and south-east on narrow-gauge tramways.  The brickworks produced both standard-sized facing bricks, probably in brick presses and 'specials', hand-made in limited quantities.  This works closed in about 1958, but was still reasonably intact in the mid-1960s.  By 1971 the kilns had been almost completely demolished, and since then the rest of the complex has also gone.  Terracotta bricks were popular as they were non-porous, and did not retain soot on their surfaces.  Information taken from the scran database.

Found in an Edinburgh recycling centre by Joseph Hodgkiss.

Photo by Mark Cranston.



Found near Lanercost, very close to Hadrian's Wall in Cumbria by Ian Miller.

Scotia

Found on a Renfrewshire seashore by Ian Sinclair



Found at the Alliance Plantation House in Surinam, South America.  Photo by Philip Dikland

S.B.C

Believed to be Scottish Brick Company.


S O L



The SOL brick was found near Crianlarich by Ian Suddaby.  Made by Scottish Oils Ltd, Pumpherston, West Lothian between the 1930s and 1993.  Made from compressed shale derived from the products of the local shale oil industry,

Scottish Terracotta

Found on a Renfrewshire seashore by Ian Sinclair.  Made at Lee Terra Cotta Works in the 1890s.



Photo by Robert Beresford.

Seggie



Seggie Brick and Tile Works, Guardbridge, St Andrews.  Photo courtesy of Scottish Brickmarks.

M B Sheriff, Dunbar



M B Sherriff, Seafield Brick & Tile Works, Edinburgh Road, Dunbar. East Lothian.   Photo courtesy of Mark Cranston.

Shotts

Shott Sand Limestone Bricks, ca 1910 - 1947.

Photo by Martin Briscoe

Found on waste ground near Edinburgh by Joseph Hodgkiss.


J B Smith & Co.



Found on the seashore at Bo'ness, West Lothian by Paul Shave


Souterhouse

Found in Fort William by Martin Briscoe.  Made in Coatbridge, ca 1899 - ca 1930.


Southhook, Crosshouse, Kilmarnock N.B.

Found on the seashore in Crosby, Merseyside.



Photographed in Edinburgh by Joseph Hodgkiss



Found in Locherfield, Kilbarchan. Photo by Bill Speirs
The Southhook Fireclay works (sometimes known by the alternative name of the Bourtreehill Fireclay Works) was situated to the West of Kilmarnock. The Company owned the Southhook Pit, one of the oldest clay pits in south west Scotland situated near Knockintiber,. The Bourtreehill Works was in operation from 1875 to the 1970s.  Further info here and here

Speirs Gibb & Co. Paisley

Found on a Renfrewshire seashore by Ian Sinclair.


Spin MG



A Heavy engineering or refractory brick.  Found on the seashore at Bo'ness, West Lothian by Paul Shave.  Possibly a product of Mark Hurll, Glasgow.


Stanrigg

Part of the Summerlee collection, photo by Monkland Memories.


Starworks, Glenboig, see under Glenboig


J. G. Stein - G. R. Stein


 These two examples were photographed at the Holyhead Breakwater Park .  The 'Thistle' and 'Stein' brands are believed to have been manufactured in Scotland by J G Stein who had works in the Castlecary / Bonnybridge area and also at Manuel near Linlithgow.  'Thistle' was a 38% alumina firebrick but the Stein brands varied in alumina content.  In 1967 J G Stein amalgamated with General Refractories of Sheffield and became GR Stein Refractories.  This company was then taken over by Hepworth Ceramic Holdings and eventually became known as Hepworth Refractories. Another takeover took place when it became Premier Refractories but this did not last very long because it was bought by Vesuvius is now part of the Cookson Group.  Many thanks to David Morgan for the above.  Some recent views of the works are on this website.

The third of the bricks from Chilean Patagonia, photo by Robert Runyard.

Found on a Renfrewshire seashore by Ian Sinclair.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found at Callender.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Found in North Notts. by Simon Patterson.  Lawrence Skuse writes:  There are a great number of NETTLE-D bricks and larger blocks in the Dowlais Brook in Cwmbran, alongside the former GKN Refractories (aka "The White Brick Works").  These are unused and along with other firms' refractory items also found in the brook, I believe they were sold by GKN along with their own refractory items.



Stein Ladle, found in Shotton, North Wales



Photo by Scottish Brickmarks.

Stepends - see also Coltness

Martin Briscoe photographed this one.  Les Horn writes:  Stepends, a National Coal Board brick works, was at Stepends Colliery at Plains near Kirk O'Shotts in Lanarkshire (GB Grid Ref NS 806 669) .  There was an aerial ropeway to Ardenrigg No. 6 mine.

Found by Martin Briscoe in Glenfinnan at a WW11 Observer Post.


Sterling

Photo by Mark Cranston.


Steven, London Road

Part of the Summerlee collection, photo by Monkland Memories.


Stevenson, Patent, Glasgow



Found at low tide in Erskine by Ian Sinclair.

Summerlee

Made by the Summerlee Company and found in Dumbarton by Lairich Rigg

Photographed at Summerlee Museum.


Symington

Photographed at Summerlee Museum.  Made from ca 1889 - ca 1928.


Letter T

Taylor & King, Auchinlee

Part of the Summerlee collection, photo by Monkland Memories.


The Lee



 Made by Lee Terracotta Works, Braidwood, Carluke, Lanarkshire.  Photo and info by Scottish Brickmarks.

Thistle - see J. G. Stein


Thornton & sons, Portobello




This brick was produced by the firm of Thomas Thornton & Sons at the Abercorn Brickworks, High Street, Portobello. The brickworks only operated for a short time, possibly for as little as two years from 1883 to 1885 according to the book ‘A Survey of Scottish Brickmarks’. Photograph and information by Joseph Hodgkiss
Turner's Portobello



Photo by Ian Suddaby.  Found on the site of Niddrie brickworks near Edinburgh.

Letter U.

U. F. P.

United Fireclay Products, made in Armadale, West Lothian, found by Simon Patterson in Worksop.


Letter V

Vogrie

Michael Davidson writes: We’re refurbishing a property in Portobello, Edinburgh. The main structure is constructed using bricks from Vogrie brick and tile works. It’s quite a rough and ready brick which in this instance was overclad with v-lined timber panelling. Vogrie Brick & Tile Works, Goreridge, operated between1852-1945.


Letter W.

Waldies No. 1



James Waldie & Sons, Tile Makers, 103 Leith Walk, Edinburgh, Midlothian.  Photo by Mark Cranston.

Walkinshaw



Found in Locher Burn, Kilbarchan by Bill Speirs, a Renfrewshire product.

Wallyford

The brickworks was operated by Edinburgh Collieries Limited in the 1920s.   After 1947 it passed to the National Coal Board and in 1969 was sold to the Scottish Brick Corporation.  It closed in the early 1970s.

Found on waste ground in Fairmilehead, Edinburgh.  Thanks to Joseph Hodgkiss for the contribution.


Watsons

Photographed at Hirum Walkers Distillery, Dumbarton by Ian Sinclair.

Found among the rubble of a demolished wall in Glasgow by Joseph Hodgkiss.

Found in Glasgow by David Ashford and probably made by John Watson & Sons, Armadale, West Lothian.


Wellshot



This WELLSHOT brick comes from Cambuslang.   Photo and info by Scottish Brickmarks.

Wellwood

Made at Elgin & Wellwood Colliery, Dunfermline.  The colliery closed in 1950 but the brickworks survived until 1981.


Wemyss

Found at a recycling centre in Edinburgh.  Thanks to Joseph Hodgkiss for the contribution.  Wemyss Brick Co., Methil, 1906 - 1981.


Westfield



Found on the seashore at Bo'ness, West Lothian by Paul Shave, possibly made near Bathgate
Whistleberry



Whistleberry Brickworks, Hamilton, Lanarkshire.  Photo and info by Mark Cranston.

Whitehill

Whitehill Colliery Brickworks was in Lasswade, Midlothian.  Whitehill Colliery (also known as Rosewell) was owned by the Lothian Coal Company, it was formed in 1890 from the Newbattle and Whitehill Pits.  The latter providing material for the neighbouring brickworks.  Most of the brickworks' workers lived in nearby Rosewell village which grew from a small village with a population of 133 in 1846, to 2129 in 1881.  Most of its population were miners.  Many of the newcomers were families who had left Ireland in the years after the famine.  By 1885, it had a handsome local church, a public school and a Post Office and Savings Bank.  In 1938-9 the brickworks was largely rebuilt, and equipped with new machinery.  By the 1940s the capacity was over 15 million common bricks per year.  It closed in 1977.  Information taken from the scran database.

Found near a lead mine at Wanlockhead

Spotted at an Edinburgh recycling centre by Joseph Hodgkiss.

A left over from construction of a bungalow in Edinburgh in 1935, photo by Joseph Hodgkiss



Photo by Alan Davies.

Wilson & son, Glasgow

Photo by Andrew Greg.  Found in a backyard in Strathbungo, Glasgow.

Found by Philip Dikland in the ruins of the main house of the Alliance Sugar Plantation, Suriname, South America.   


Wilson, St. Andrews

Seafield Mains is located 3.5km WNW of St Andrews in Fife, Scotland. Image PRBCO.


Winchburgh

Photo supplied by Joseph Hodgkiss.  Winchburgh Brickworks, ca 1873 - 1970s.


Woodison Steel



Thought to be :-  E J Woodison Co., Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.  Possibly made by P & M Hurll Ltd., Glenboig, Lanarkshire for the Woodison Co. For more information refer to:
www.scottishbrickhistory.co.uk/woodison-steel/
Photo courtesy of Mark Cranston. 

Next page: Northern Ireland bricks
Return to the index page