The Great Western had over 250 of the capable Hall class mixed traffic locomotives An improvement on the "Saint" class, they were introduced from 1928. A further 71 Halls to a modified and updated design were produced from 1944 onwards.
5952 "Cogan Hall" is seen above and Modified Hall 6989 "Wightwick Hall" is seen in the photo below. This loco had been stored on one of the tracks leading to a coaling hoist. The photo was taken on the track from the coal hoist, which accounts for the height difference. This locomotive is now being restored by the 6989 "Wightwick Hall" restoration group.
Another "Hall" class awaits its fate - already shorn of its safety valve cover.
Two more Hall Class locos showing the effects of neglect. Note the different tenders.
This Hall class loco is seen in the bottom yard.
Return to the index page