Manod's role in wartime
to the underground chambers as it looks today, this was formerly
a solid wooden door as the underground complex was air conditioned.
specially built wagons used to transport the artworks is seen at
quarry in 1997. These bogie wagons were built by the LMS at Derby
works and ran on the two foot gauge. There was formerly a small
at the tunnel entrance which housed a petrol driven loco which worked
The pool in the background was used to supply cooling water to the air
Underground and wartime views of Manod
by courtesy of Nick McCamley
securing the entrance to one of the main underground
chambers. The small door on the right is to the air-conditioning control room - 1988.
One of the five storage buildings erected inside the quarry to house pictures from the National Gallery. Stripped and gutted when this photo was taken in 1988
Western Railway container lorry, registration number FGT495,
at the entrance to the underground store.
the tunnel the lorry is waiting by the powerhouse to be unloaded.
On the right can be seen some upturned slate wagons.
specially built wagons being used to transfer some of the art treasures
between the underground storage buildings - 1943.
Another view showing one of the wagons being pushed to a storage area.
Return to the Manod index page