The Slate Industry of North and Mid Wales

Photo gallery - page 16


English Stonecrop/Briweg y Cerrig (Sedum Anglicum) is a common plant found in slate quarries.


Bryn Glas is a small disused quarry near Ffestiniog.  This is a view of the dressing shed and, below, the Moelwyn mountains.




The former loading dock of Llechwedd quarry following road improvements.  The dock, crane and power station are on the right and the entrance to Ffestiniog tunnel on the Conwy Valley railway line is on the left.


Old stone sleeper blocks were used in the building of this bridge on the 4 foot gauge Padarn Railway near Llanberis.


Glanrafon quarry near Rhyd Ddu was the largest in the area.  The embankment carries the recently reopened Welsh Highland Railway and the path of the incline serving the quarry can be made out in the centre of the photo.  The summit of Snowdon is in the background.



The zig zag path was once the access to Oakeley Quarry in Blaenau Ffestiniog for quarrymen.



D W Jones of Llangristiolus, Anglesey left his mark in Dinorwic quarry in 1920.





The surviving wall of an incline drumhouse catches the setting sun.

To Photo Gallery page 17

Return to the index page