In June 1967 Michael Bishop ventured to Dinorwic Quarry in Llanberis to seek out Holy War, which was then the last working steam locomotive in a Welsh slate quarry. Holy War was built by the Hunslet Engine Co. in Leeds in 1902 and was of a class of locomotive synonymous with the Welsh slate industry. A formal request to visit the quarry was refused so the only way in was the unofficial way! This meant climbing the C series inclines on the south part of the quarry to the top then crossing over to descend the A series inclines on the north side, eventually to drop down to the 6th level where Holy War could be found.
Looking down the A3 incline with the Anglesey Barracks on the right.
On the A4 incline which leads to the Village Level with Michael's co-conspirator leading the way.
Looking down the A4 incline with a glimpse of Llyn Peris on the left far below.
looking down on Level C3T during the strenuous walk to the top.
High up on the fifth level of the quarry, almost 1,600 feet, 487 metres, above sea level were the remains of Alice in a semi derelict locomotive shed. Alice was built by the Hunslet Engine Co. in 1902 and had been withdrawn in 1960. The loco was subsequently used as a supply of spare parts. Alice was lowered to the bottom of the quarry in 1972 and the locos subsequent history may be read here.
Holy War waits patiently at the sidings beside the incline. In its true element with grey slate on every side.
Two close up views of Holy War. The locomotive spent most of its working life on the higher levels of the quarry. For a time it was housed in the highest engine shed in Britain. This was on Lernion level at 1860 feet, 566 metres above sea level.
The pipe across the photo is for compressed air. There were miles of piping in Dinorwic and their primary purpose was to supply power to the rock drills.
Next page: Dinorwic Quarry in 1967, Page 2
Return to: Working tramways index